Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hungarian / English Transalaters

Hungarian / English Transalaters

Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough
Default Hungarian / English Transalaters

I speak Hungarian and English and hoping to move to Lake Balaton in the near future. Is there any call for transalaters?

Klarika
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Eagerbeave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hungarian / English Transalaters

I'm sure there are but unless you are involved in technical translation - I don't know if you are likely to earn much of a living from it.

I'm not sure if there is a requirement for English people who speak fluent Hungarian as there are a lot of Hungarians who speak very good English.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:39 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Eagerbeave : Klarika is Hungarian, living in Spain but hoping to return to Hungary, should make it a bit easier for her.

Hi Klarika, I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but I do know that there are jobs about for natives speakers with a good command of English. Please don't ask where they are but neighbours of ours (mentioned in a previous post) never found a problem finding work as they speak Hungarian and English fluently. Also, the number of Hungarians we speak to who claim that they wish they had learnt English instead of German, at school; so that they could get a better job here, implies that there is demand.
If you hope to become a self employed translator, I would start researching companies in the area, email your CV to as many as possible. I believe you would find it difficult to earn a regular income translating for Brits or teaching Hungarian. A small/part time income perhaps but full time
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies re transalting,

I am not looking for full time work just a bit of freelancing here and there to keep me occupied. Here in Spain we use them for all sorts could be doctors, town hall ect, just wondered if there is a call for it there. Glad to hear there are so many people who speak English there already as my partner does not speak Hungarian.

Klarika
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Klarika, yes many people tend to use them for hospital appointments, doctors etc. However, at the moment there is a fairly small number of Brits living here permanently. I can only speak for ourselves and those we know personally and we/they can either speak enough to Hungarian to manage or have a regular translator. Some of our friends use neighbours or university students and they charge around 3-4 euro an hour. We recently met a chap who speaks perfect English and currently works with the fire department, on his days off he will work freelance translating or basically anything that is available for 6,000 ft a day (about £17).

I am sure that once you arrive and start making contacts you will pick up work here and there though I don't know how regular it will be and of course it will depend on the price. So long as you are not relying on the income then ddefinitelygive it a go
Old Jul 10th 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rural,
As you said it will better once I am over there and make contacts. I am not really looking for a great income but really something to keep me occupied now and then. We plan to go over around the end of Sept for a couple of weeks to look around so hopefully will meet some Brits.

Klarika