Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

How's the snow for you?

How's the snow for you?

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How's the snow for you?

Finally easing off here, still able to get the car out just slowly...... Been to the local town and back at a nice steady 50 km/h and it was really busy with cars, vans and lorries despite the uncleared roads.....

Have to drive to the UK over the weekend.Hopefully will miss the worst of it. Sadly I have to go now as there are things that need sorting out quickly.

THe motorways will all be cleared by tomorrow? Won't they?
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's the snow for you?

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Finally easing off here, still able to get the car out just slowly...... Been to the local town and back at a nice steady 50 km/h and it was really busy with cars, vans and lorries despite the uncleared roads.....

Have to drive to the UK over the weekend.Hopefully will miss the worst of it. Sadly I have to go now as there are things that need sorting out quickly.

THe motorways will all be cleared by tomorrow? Won't they?
Marvellous here in the city, all roads & pavements clear (I need a snug emoji!).
Hope you will be ok in the UK...
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Marvellous here in the city, all roads & pavements clear (I need a snug emoji!).
Hope you will be ok in the UK...
Smug metropolitan elite with your cleared roads and pavements! Pavements I say!! Not like us rural salt of the earth types....

Forecast is alright through Germany etc so think I will just miss the worst! I have to go up to Scotland on Monday morning so hopefully by then the melt will be on and the roads will have been gritted. I know I will be the only vehicle around with winter tires!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Smug metropolitan elite with your cleared roads and pavements! Pavements I say!! Not like us rural salt of the earth types....
Elite, that's why we say felett not fölött like you bumpkins
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Forecast is alright through Germany etc so think I will just miss the worst! I have to go up to Scotland on Monday morning so hopefully by then the melt will be on and the roads will have been gritted. I know I will be the only vehicle around with winter tires!!!
Driving from here to Scotland ?? Isn't it easier to fly and hire a car when you get there? (and maybe cheaper)
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Driving from here to Scotland ?? Isn't it easier to fly and hire a car when you get there? (and maybe cheaper)
I have a house to clear in Yorkshire and there is paperwork in storage that I am not going to put on the back of a lorry........ It needs to be kept a little longer just in case.

I make time to visit relations in Scotland as well and travelling around the UK is cheaper by car than public transport!!! Will have a fair bit of stuff to bring back so one run is required. It's not so bad really, done it plenty of times before. Stop off in Nuremburg half way and then the ferry. I am taking some bits and pieces over to sell on too.

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.........
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a house to clear in Yorkshire and there is paperwork in storage that I am not going to put on the back of a lorry........ It needs to be kept a little longer just in case.

I make time to visit relations in Scotland as well and travelling around the UK is cheaper by car than public transport!!! Will have a fair bit of stuff to bring back so one run is required. It's not so bad really, done it plenty of times before. Stop off in Nuremburg half way and then the ferry. I am taking some bits and pieces over to sell on too.

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.........
I am traveling Saturday 3rd and Stopping south of Frankfurt 6 hr drive from landing by Ferry in IBIS Budget Wiesbaden 42 eur a night next day 10 drive down to my place I use samr hotel many Times ans good 2km of A3 digger47
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by digger47
I am traveling Saturday 3rd and Stopping south of Frankfurt 6 hr drive from landing by Ferry in IBIS Budget Wiesbaden 42 eur a night next day 10 drive down to my place I use samr hotel many Times ans good 2km of A3 digger47
I have a regular stop in Nuremburg, nice and quiet but 5 mins from the city center if I feel like a walk. Means the longer stretch is the first stretch, reduces the chances of missing the ferry!

So far no issues other then the motorway falling apart around Tatabanya!!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a regular stop in Nuremburg, nice and quiet but 5 mins from the city center if I feel like a walk. Means the longer stretch is the first stretch, reduces the chances of missing the ferry!

So far no issues other then the motorway falling apart around Tatabanya!!
I cut of before then to Szekesfehervar digger47

Last edited by mawood47; Mar 2nd 2018 at 2:16 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

It was alright for Boris Johnson, apparently!

Fürdőnadrágban futott a Margitszigeten a brit külügyminiszter
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

My sister who lives near Gatwick airport (her English husband had to fly a lot ...) reported that on Monday people were shopping like crazy - expecting the world to end ...
And in the Guardian I've seen stories about people spending a dozen hours in their cars on the motorway - in Scotland and southern France even!

Here near the Balaton it started to rain ice right now again ...
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolfi
My sister who lives near Gatwick airport (her English husband had to fly a lot ...) reported that on Monday people were shopping like crazy - expecting the world to end ...
And in the Guardian I've seen stories about people spending a dozen hours in their cars on the motorway - in Scotland and southern France even!

Here near the Balaton it started to rain ice right now again ...
I've heard the main roads are fine, gritted and clear. Forecast for Austria and Germany seems to be fine. Been keeping an eye on the forecasts today and it seems that I should be ok, most of the snow will probably be gone in the UK by Monday!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Jetsam, we're with you! Wish you all the best!

Anyway, the Austrians and the Southern Germans (like me ...) are used to this kind of weather - just listen to the radio, because you never know ...

A few days ago in one of the old tunnels on the A8 stretch between Stuttgart and Ulm (up the Alb, not the Alps ...) a lorry burnt down - that took a long long time to clear up.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolfi
Jetsam, we're with you! Wish you all the best!

Anyway, the Austrians and the Southern Germans (like me ...) are used to this kind of weather - just listen to the radio, because you never know ...

A few days ago in one of the old tunnels on the A8 stretch between Stuttgart and Ulm (up the Alb, not the Alps ...) a lorry burnt down - that took a long long time to clear up.
I've done the drive in the winter with snow everywhere before!! They are pretty effective at getting everything cleared up though. I think my German is just about good enough to order a beer but not to deal with radio traffic reports!!! I don't let the fuel tank get below half way too. Just in case.....

Generally I think if you can get past Vienna at a reasonable time your fine. Then just straight up to Nuremburg via Passau. Nice and hilly!

Going to have plenty of drinks and food in the car and ex-Polish army woolen blankets just in case! They are amazing........
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good idea re the gas!

And you surely know already that gas is horribly expensive on the motorways - and cheaper in Austria generally.
I sometimes drive via Passau and then leave the Autobahn in Stuben for Schärding wher you find many gas stations - one near the Aldi, fully automatic, pay by card only ...
Good luck and have a safe trip!
PS:
Those hills south of Passau are quite steep, but the snow service should be ok and afaik the roadworks are essentially finished there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.