Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

How much are your taxis per km?

How much are your taxis per km?

Old Dec 23rd 2017, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much are your taxis per km?

Ever so slightly off topic.....
We've been invited to a party on NYE in Eger, about 28km away. Neither of us want to drive and don't want to spend a fortune on a hotel for one night. Can't book a cheap b+b so I suggested driving there and getting a taxi back, we can go and collect the car the following day as and when.
What a nightmare trying to book a taxi!! the first 3 taxi companies my wife spoke to wouldn't take the job as they said they would be too busy and make more money running people around locally. Eventually, we found a private taxi owner who said he'd happily take the job but wasn't sure how much the fare would be, probably around 6 or 7,000ft My wife needs to speak to him again on NYE afternoon to give him the details but I think that's a pretty good price and we'll make sure we give him more.
On a side note, some English friends of ours got a taxi back from Eger a couple of years ago and were charged 24,000ft!! and that was just an evening out during the year.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 9:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Developer
Alright, I may have mixed it up with the 50 Euro fix fare from Charles de Gaulle to Central Paris(Opera Area). Yeah, you’re right. The fare in Budapest was something around €25. €50 was in Paris. Booked the taxi from the booth on the left once you exit.
That's more like it!
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Eventually, we found a private taxi owner who said he'd happily take the job but wasn't sure how much the fare would be, probably around 6 or 7,000ft My wife needs to speak to him again on NYE afternoon to give him the details but I think that's a pretty good price and we'll make sure we give him more.
On a side note, some English friends of ours got a taxi back from Eger a couple of years ago and were charged 24,000ft!! and that was just an evening out during the year.
Once you step outside the 'local area' for the taxi they usually charge the return fare as well but if you get the taxi to take the job then the km price should be available.
Old Dec 25th 2017, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The pensionable age in Hungary varies according to your age and how many years for contributions you have made. 40 years of contributions plus reaching a qualifying age gives you the right to be a pensioner. With out the 40 years there is a qualifying age that that kicks in. It is all about raising the pension age over time to take in to account the longer expected life span and the unaffordability of the state pension scheme. (Much like the rest of Europe inc. the UK).

The free travel starts at the age of 65. if you are a pensioner before that age you get the annual reduced travel allowance as defined above.

Once you are a pensioner you no longer have to pay TB (the Hungarian NI contributions) I found it an advantage to start my work related UK pension early so that I gained 'pensioner status' and so was exempt Hungarian TB. Note that if you have a UK private pension (SIPP) and you start 'draw down' this gives you pensioner status but under the UK rules you don't have to take any income unless you want to.

Of course Brexit could change all of this and UK citizens will be dependent upon the eventual agreement reached. Worst case - frozen UK state pensions and loss of the Hungarian pensioner rights and health care we currently enjoy.....Thank you Nigel and Boris!

But to get back to the OP the Taxi prices vary in each area but I have only managed to find web sites dealing with Budapest.
And that's why I intend to have a massive heart attack in my mid 50's so I don't have to deal with all that stuff! (May be joking there, I probably won't get any pension at all as they will find a way to take it away no doubt).