Reload this Page >

Carry on luggage

Carry on luggage

Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carry on luggage

Referring to flights.

I had to go to the UK (by car) for a while and returned to Hungary last week, by plane. Carrier Wizz Air.
I was/am aware that they changed their baggage allowances recently however as I normally carry just a back back with me on the plane, whatever the allowance is it did not concern me much. My heavier luggage, if I have any, goes in the hold.

However, it appears as though there has been an increase in the number of carry on bags a passenger can take on board , causing not only congestion in the actual boarding process but also a massive shortage of space in the overhead storage compartments.

Perhaps it was the time of year with a lot of people returning "home" for the Christmas holidays with gifts and whatnot but wonder if anyone else experienced this recently?
Old Dec 19th 2017, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carry on luggage

Originally Posted by GBA77
Referring to flights.

I had to go to the UK (by car) for a while and returned to Hungary last week, by plane. Carrier Wizz Air.
I was/am aware that they changed their baggage allowances recently however as I normally carry just a back back with me on the plane, whatever the allowance is it did not concern me much. My heavier luggage, if I have any, goes in the hold.

However, it appears as though there has been an increase in the number of carry on bags a passenger can take on board , causing not only congestion in the actual boarding process but also a massive shortage of space in the overhead storage compartments.

Perhaps it was the time of year with a lot of people returning "home" for the Christmas holidays with gifts and whatnot but wonder if anyone else experienced this recently?
Morning GBA77 We are out of main travelling session and sum changes Hand Luggage now 55*40*23 main session 45*40*23 they are Hunting for over size Hand Baggage if Oversized charging £18.00 Priority and Club Members allowed 1 small extra, Yes shortage of Storage space is a Problem but have to put up with it as if wear to be able to place in Cargo Place, But Passengers want to Get On and Off Quickly, when arriving without wasting Time waiting for Luggage to arrive at Carousel Point I am using Wiz air a Lot and I always use seat 30C cost £4.50 and Back of Plain so Last on First off and always Booking or having booking Maid in UA as up to 30% cheaper Next trip to B/Pest From Luton early January £82.00 return and Remember Do you Need Luggage? when working Out what to Take my Ruling is No, as Underwear and Socks can be Changed around 4 Different Ways so 7 day Trip no Luggage only Laptop. digger47
Old Dec 19th 2017, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

As it happens was just sent this as part of an email

"We have a new baggage policy starting from 29 October 2017!
When flying with WIZZ, each person can bring:
• One hand luggage, no larger than 55 x 40 x 23 cm, maximum 10kg weight.
• Up to 6 pieces of checked-in baggage, weighing no more than 32 kilograms each
• Duty-free items purchased at the airport after security checks
Please note that if you do not have WIZZ Priority added to your booking then your hand luggage might be taken away during boarding at the gate. You can avoid this by:
• Adding WIZZ Priority to your booking latest by 3 hours before departure;
• Dropping your hand luggage at the check-in free of charge;
• Bringing only a small bag (40 x 30 x 18cm) with you onboard, which must be placed under the seat.
Need more space to pack for your trip? It’s not too late to add a checked-in bag (20kg or 32kg) to your booking. Please, note that higher fees apply at the airport than our website.
Please note: At the airport €10/kg fee will be charged if you have purchased a 20kg bag and your bag’s weight exceeds 20kg."

Its too early in the morning to figure this out but a quick glance but just noticed "dropping your hand luggage at the check in free of charge".
Where does that hand luggage then go?

Ok so you take a small suitcase on board as hand luggage. Then add 10 items that you bought at duty free?

What really gave me the hump last time was that like Digger, I normally only take a back bag with me. It holds my laptop some clothes etc etc. I had placed it neatly in front of another larger bag in the overhead compartment. No drama.

The overhead luggage storage was really full and the steward/s was/were having a hard time finding storage place for quiet a few items. This particular fellow decided that there was sufficient space between my bag and the overhead compartment door, to force in another bag. There was not enough space but that did not try him stopping, until I said to him that if he breaks or damages my laptop I would sue him and or Wizz Air for a new one.

Some passengers seem to take a horrendous amount of on board luggage or personal items with them to try and avoid fetching a suitcase from the luggage carousel.
As it happened on this last flight, the entry/border control area at Budapest airport was rammed full. When I eventually got through, the carousel had already stopped so there was no waiting around. I just had to grap my suitcase as was out of there. People with loads of hand luggage were thus no quicker getting through arrivals than I was with my 1 back bag and one piece of checked in luggage. Amazing!.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBA77
Its too early in the morning to figure this out but a quick glance but just noticed "dropping your hand luggage at the check in free of charge".
Where does that hand luggage then go? .
This hand luggage goes in the hold and you have to collect it just like any other checked in luggage.

I have seen them taking away hand luggage on the tarmac to put in the hold because the overhead lockers were full !

Yes the overhead lockers are getting very full but I don't think that this is because people don't want to wait at the carousel, rather they don't want to pay the extra for a checked in bag.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's always best to Check whether to Pay for 20 kg @ £40.00 I Have "as Husband seed to Wife have you got everything in Here including Kitchen Sink" I have March driving through to Patka so Flight Home next week decided To bring over Kitchen sink Bathroom sink and Shower all mixer Taps Praktiker same Make Sanlux cost £67.00 same hear £38.00 big saving But still short in Weight so Vodka UA .5 letter £2.20 so 8 to bring hic for friends, then clear all clothes back to UK now got 17.5kg so Paying this Time "Good" digger47
Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Something to also bear in mind is that the carry-on baggage allowance/size and charges can differ between your outgoing and your return flight, with Wizz certainly.

I flew Buda-Luton recently. And then back Luton-Buda. Both with Wizz.
On the return flight the free carry-on bag size was the usual carry-on size (I can't remember the measurements).
But on the outward flight the free carry-on size was smaller and you had to pay to take it up to the usual size (ie. to the same size that was free on the return flight).

The danger in this scenario would be someone visiting Budapest. It's possible that when booking, they assume the outward and return allowances are the same (as you would), so don't really pay attention to the return baggage options, just tick the free allowance boxes, and then they get stung at the desk or gate on their return.

Not sure why the charges are different for different flights. If it's just to catch people out then it is pretty sneaky.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Heir's another one from WIZZ Sunday received email giving 10 euro discount on Paid Luggage at same time I had just finished sorting out suitcase weight ok made 20 kg OK trying to Use the 10 euro they seed when adding a Suitcase enter Prom code 10euro I soon found Out now way of entering Prom code so Paid £43.20 for Luggage Wiz air again offering Scams. It's a good Job watt Duty Free Vodka and Pluming items pays for Baggage digger47