Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hi Newbie looking for help and advice please.

Hi Newbie looking for help and advice please.

Old Sep 5th 2014, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

ellemic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Newbie looking for help and advice please.

Hi
I am new to this site. Decided to join as we are hoping to move to Hungary soon..in fact we have bought a Tanya (small farm) in a small village 40 minutes from Szeged, my partner is already out there with our horse and now a few chickens. Making lots of international friends. I am a locum occupational therapist at the moment working in the UK and our plan is for me to spend 6 months in UK working (probably in the winter when there is more work in the nhs) to earn the cash so we can live ...hoping to spend the summer months in Hungary enjoying the good life and horsing around in the lovely quiet forests.
Just wondered if any of you work in UK for so many months and then chill out in Hungary for the rest of the year??? would appreciate any advise with regards to tax, NI, where to buy a cheap reliable car..how much to register a foreign car if we bought in adjoining country (seem to be expensive in Hungary) etc. We have a house in the UK too but bit scared about whether to sell up or rent out. Look forward to any advice anyone could share as Im keen to get moving asap.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 9:01 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

You should find answers to most of your questions on previous threads though at the moment the search facility is playing up so it will mean having a browse through them - there is loads of useful information so probably worth it.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:05 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Newbie looking for help and advice please.

Hi again, I still can't get the search to play nicely, I'll try pulling the threads up again tomorrow as there is an extremely useful one with a link to a car registration calculator and a couple on tax and the equivalent of NI contributions. If I can't find them, I'll write the information up again for you.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there are any cheap options where cars are concerned. If you buy a car in another country you will have to pay quite a bit to get it registered on Hungarian plates. Actually, a lot of the cars on the secondhand market in Hungary have been brought in from Germany or Austria anyway, so you might as well let a Hungarian car dealer sort all the paperwork etc and save some grief. What I did was buy a fairly new small, basic car which had been sold new in Hungary by the same dealer who took it back in part ex. and then sold it to me. It is a Chevrolet Spark, a car which is quite cheap to buy new so it cost me less than a million Forints when it was less than 4 years old and I bought it. A lot of cars twice as old would have been more expensive.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ellemic
If you are going to spend 6 months in Hungary and 6 in the UK then IMO the best option would be to maintain your tax residency in the UK and also pay UK NI. You do not want to be paying Hungarian tax on your UK earnings!! The UK income tax personal allowance is also much higher.

Also UK state pension is a lot better than the Hungarian pension e.g. UK 30 years contributions (today) = a full pension whilst in Hungary you need 40 years, not to mention the amount you will receive from each respective country (The UK state pension is almost double the Hungarian minimum salary). In fact depending upon your ages I would suggest that your partner might find it advantageous to maintain voluntary contributions to the UK pension system so that you would then have a pension between you that would be equivalent to a very good Hungarian salary.

For cars, I agree with the above comments but would add that depending upon how remote your house is, perhaps something 4 wheel drive should be considered. Perhaps a Lada Niva, a basic car, not much known in the UK but reckoned to be one of the better Ladas produced and quite a few of them around. The type of car will to a great extent depend on its intended use, e.g. motorised shopping trolly or frequent trips to and fro the UK

If your partner is going to be here more or less permanently and what you have is a tanya then seek professional advice as to the best (cheapest) way that your partner can enter the Hungarian NI system. There used to be concessions for registered smallholders, but I am not sure now as the rules keep changing. For you, if you stay within the UK NI system then the European Health Card issued by the UK will cover you here.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

ellemic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all that responded and thank you for the advice. We are both in our mid to late 40's so not pension age yet...want to live our dream of having a small holding before we are too old, but not done anything like this before so all a bit scary. Going over in a couple of weeks so will discuss with my partner then.
THanks
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Scary and exciting.

I thought I'd already written this but it's not here so........

Hi there and Welcome to BE and this little Hungarian corner of the cyber world.

Any probs with the site please do give me a shout.

Sorry that search is a bit wonky at the moment. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi again, I still can't get the search to play nicely, I'll try pulling the threads up again tomorrow as there is an extremely useful one with a link to a car registration calculator and a couple on tax and the equivalent of NI contributions. If I can't find them, I'll write the information up again for you.
Morning from New Zealand missus.

I think 'Search" may be OK again.

Was it THIS THREAD Car Reg and Tax Calc. <----------- click the link.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:30 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Yeahhhh it's back

That's the thread and in case you can't find the calculator link amongst the other posts, it's here.

Basically, small engined, newer cars are the cheapest to register and definitely worth doing so as all vehicles are expensive in Hungary.