Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Hello everyone, some newbie advice please

Hello everyone, some newbie advice please

Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Stegy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello everyone, some newbie advice please

Hi everyone. We have a house in Mesztegnyo which we have been using as a holiday home for a few years but are going to be moving in permenantly next April. I have browsed the forum quite a lot but now want to pester you with a few questions, well probably quite a lot, but I will just start with a couple.

House use registration. At the moment our house is registered as being a holiday home and I think if we stay there for more than 6 months we will have to re register it. Can anyone tell me how much this will cost a what the procedure is.

Broad band Internet. We want to be able to use Skype, BBCi player(with vpn etc) so need a decent speed. Anyone know if T HOME is available in Mesztegnyo and if so will it be fast enough for streaming in the evenings. We would rather not go down the satellite road if possible. I know this topic has been covered before but was hoping for these specifics.

I will leave it at that for now although I will be posting many more in the future.
Its great to have access to all the help and information that you all give here.
Hope this winter is kind to you all

Thanks
Cameron
Old Nov 12th 2015, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello everyone, some newbie advice please

I have never heard about having to register a house for a particular use. I know such rules exist in Austria but I thought you could use it how you want in Hungary if it's on your own land.

It looks like you can look up your house on the website to see what internet coverage is available:
http://www.telekom.hu/otthoni/lakoss...et/dijcsomagok
Old Nov 12th 2015, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi Fidobsa thanks for the link. After a lot of cut and paste with babylon translator I think I cracked it and it looks like its ok for my address.

My Hungarian is very, very, basic and is something I am going to have to really work on.

The house thing was something I noticed in passing on another thread, somewhere, and I remembered ours was specified as a holiday home on the purchase documents so thought it might be relevant.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

On second look it actually says netmania M is fastest available which is probably too slow for streaming or skype with just their guaranteed speeds but I found this while looking for the T-Home details.

Kábelnet service areas

The cable net service is currently available in the following areas. The actual létesíthetőségéről only after the order, after the technical survey which we have accurate information, so the following list is indicative.

It lists Gadany and Szenyer which are either side of Mesztegnyo but not Mesztegnyo itself.

So Im slightly confused. I guess im best waiting till early spring when im over and asking at their main offices where hopefully I can get an English speaking assistant.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stegy
House use registration. At the moment our house is registered as being a holiday home and I think if we stay there for more than 6 months we will have to re register it. Can anyone tell me how much this will cost a what the procedure is.
If you want to re-register a holiday home as a residential dwelling then you will bump up against building regs. Holidays homes have lower standards for things like insulation and heating provision, also there are different standards for water and sewage provision. If you want to convert it to a residential dwelling it will have todays standards applied, not the standard of the day it was built, so you could be in for a bit of redevelopment.

You will also need to look in the local plan (Rendezési Terv) which will detail what development is permitted in the area. If the area that your house is in is not listed for residential dwellings then it will be difficult and expensive to get this changed and without the change you will not get permission to change the status. The Rendezési Terv is held at the local council offices.

As far as I know there is nothing to stop you living long term in a holiday home, but I am not sure if you can register it as your address and if you can't then without a registered address driving licences and car insurance etc. can not be obtained.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Peter
thanks I should have said it is a residential home with a couple of acres, previously owned by the local pig slaughterer, so hopefully I wont have too many problems. I will check out the Rendezési Terv
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter
thanks I should have said it is a residential home with a couple of acres, previously owned by the local pig slaughterer, so hopefully I wont have too many problems. I will check out the Rendezési Terv
Do you mean I should have said it is a residential home or it WAS a residential home?

If it 'was' then I wonder why it was changed.

What is on your tulajdoni lap (land registration document from the Land Office) part 1 under 'Az ingatlan adatai (property data) gives the size and type of property. The key word here will be 'lakóház' = residential dwelling
Old Nov 12th 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

On second look it actually says netmania M is fastest available which is probably too slow for streaming or skype with just their guaranteed speeds but I found this while looking for the T-Home details.
I checked my own address and it says the same for me, Netmania M is the fastest available. I looked at my bill and it does not say what speed I am paying for but I would guess it must be the 10 or 20 Meg. I just did a test and I'm getting about 5 Meg download, 600 K upload. I tend to do speech only on the rare times I use Skype and that works OK. I watch a lot of Youtube videos and they work fine at this speed. Streaming does not always work so well on some other websites but I assume that is due to limited capacity at the server end.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!
Just a few simple qestions:
Is the house "in the middle" of the village or somewhere in the fields - that might indicate the status.
Do you have electricity, running water, sewage and gas?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
Welcome!
Just a few simple qestions:
Is the house "in the middle" of the village or somewhere in the fields - that might indicate the status.
Do you have electricity, running water, sewage and gas?
What matters is what is on the Land Register. Its location might give you a clue as to what to expect - but that is all. My house is in the middle of the fields and its residential and I know a residential house in the middle of the village that has electricity as the only infrastructure, and whilst that would not pass today nothing is done -until you want to make a change that affects planning/building permission then everything has to come up to current standards.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Peter, of course you're right but my idea was exactly that:
Its location might give you a clue
PS:
And also I'm curious, what kind of house the Stegys want to live in ...
Old Nov 13th 2015, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Sorry everyone if I seemed to disappear, I had to go out suddenly last night and we are three hours ahead of Hungary time in the middle east.
Thanks for all your replies.

Fidobsa. Thats really usefull to know as a basis for what I can expect.

Wolfi. The house is fairly near one end of the village right on road 68 with 2 acres of land to the back. It has all utilities and uses a septic tank. Its a solid building with gas fired CH and with an alternative wood burning boiler for this I have done some renovation, mostly cosmetic, but structurally it is very sound. There is a separate building stretching back with what was described as a summer kitchen and a big stable, both solid construction with water and electric and attached animal pens. Also an assortment of rickety wooden outbuildings.

Peter. tulajdoni lap (land registration document from the Land Office) That sounds like the definitive document. I tried to find out about getting it earlier this year but had to leave before I could get hold of it. I will look into that as soon as I can. I was only assuming it was residential because of the infrastructure and it having been used as such for a long time. The other houses on the street are much the same with the main house fronting on the main road and a large strip of often farmed land stretching back.

We do plan to do work converting and utilising some of the buildings so I do need to get hold of the document you mentioned.

Many thanks for all the info
Cameron
Old Nov 13th 2015, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

The Land registration document is an important document. It details the ownership of and ownership history of the property / land as registered in the Land Office. The Law is quite definite - if any dispute arises the court will take what is registered in Land Office as fact. You should have got a copy of this document as part of the paperwork when you purchased the property.

Property ownership in Hungary is public information and you can view your / any tulajdoni lap free at your local Land Office. (print outs are charged).

You will need a copy (usually less than 30 days old) if you want to do any alterations that require permission - but this will usually only be for structural works or those which alter the external appearance. It depends on the area as to what you can do externally without permission. Internal works are normally done without any permissions unless it is really serious stuff.