Heating Systems

Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:15 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice
Default Heating Systems

We are currently planning our heating system and will be installing solar panels for both Hot water & Electricity, supported by a wood burner with back boiler for the radiators.

Is it cheaper to bring systems over from the UK or are they cheaper in Hungary?
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

derbycold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heating Systems

i bought a smashing wood burner from over there [hungary]fraction of the cost of the uk and better quality.heat pumps are worth looking into asswell,i do them over here in the uk and have one at home.the new inverter ones are very efficient and basic ones are cheap enough over here and over there.worth a thought.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:52 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

I have seen a Solar company not very far from the Balaton. Will look to buy the wood Burner in Hungary then, thanks for the info.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

As it is quite hot, I thought I would turn my mind to when it is quite cold... and ask members what heating systems they have in place.

We currently have a wood burner but have gas mains heaters too (which are very expensive to run). We have been toying with the idea of buying another wood burner for the other end of the house. Would like to know other people's experiences as this will be our first winter here.

Many thanks
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I have solid fuel central heating with an Austrian Windhager cooking range / boiler and 6 radiators. It struggled last winter but I now have all the windows double glazed so I'm hoping it will be a bit warmer for winter 2012/13. I also have some portable bottle gas heaters for emergencies like power cuts.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:16 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
As it is quite hot, I thought I would turn my mind to when it is quite cold... and ask members what heating systems they have in place.

We currently have a wood burner but have gas mains heaters too (which are very expensive to run). We have been toying with the idea of buying another wood burner for the other end of the house. Would like to know other people's experiences as this will be our first winter here.

Many thanks
One of the warmest and most cost efficient heating is the traditional tiled heaters. Large ones start from around 200-250,000ft. Granted, they are not the prettiest looking beasts though nowadays, you can get some with more modern feel. The Buba wood burners have quite a bit of character and would suit a property like yours.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

I have a tiled woodburner with a back boiler which heats all the house at a fraction of the cost of Gas central heating. I must say it is the best heating system I have ever had having lived in the UK and Spain and much cheaper.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:20 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klarika
I have a tiled woodburner with a back boiler which heats all the house at a fraction of the cost of Gas central heating. I must say it is the best heating system I have ever had having lived in the UK and Spain and much cheaper.

We have the same - a Cserépkály - a traditional tiled large wood burning heater. Ours has the backboiler & pump that heats radiators as well as heat from the Cserépkály itself.

Not too expensive to run
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:26 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
Not too expensive to run
The cheapest heating system I have found Hungary, I know many think they are ugly and outdated looking but they do offer more modern options nowadays.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

fabulgaria is an unknown quantity at this point

Re heating systems I am in the trade for over 40 years fully time served with all my city and guilds and was ones recommended by the BBC.
RE solid fuel wood open vented and gas boilers and solar
The sun systems with twin coil are excellent the inner coil has a high recovery rate .the problem with wood fires running out of fuel unless hopper fed burning wood pellets if you have gas you can fit a gas boiler linked in to the wood burner pipe work with switch over when thermostat calls for heat so you always have heat.
Also make sure the pipe work is sized correctly to allow proper flow rates if piped up correctly all will work fine.
Solid fuel or wood you need a heat leek i.e. towel rail with no thermostatic vale fitted to allow the pump to circulate the water.
Some systems some people think small pipe and fit a large high rate pump. And then wonder why half the radiators do not work you can fit valve on flow or return to cylinder so when the temperature reached the valve closes this allows more power to the radiator.
You can also use gravity on your flow and return to your cylinder if atoll possible.
Just pump the heating system I always find the pump works better vertical then on its side

Last edited by fabulgaria; Aug 29th 2012 at 6:22 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

There's been some mention about the cost of gas, electricity, etc. posted elsewhere but I thought I'd post my posting here. Anyway, it's got me wondering how much more expensive are they compared to UK? Are they expensive in comparison to cost of living in Hungary or expensive as in UK £'s?

In UK I pay monthly by direct debit, £80 for gas and £40 for electricity. At the end of the year there's little left or my monthly contribution doesn't change much either way! Before you ask I would agree if anyone said my house isn't properly insulated and that's because it's a 1930's house and cavity wall insulation isn't possible! I reckon my gas bill is so high because my wife works in the evenings so she is home all day and then I'm home all evening! Alternatively, I probably need a new boiler but that's another issue anyway.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:54 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by FenTiger
There's been some mention about the cost of gas, electricity, etc. posted elsewhere but I thought I'd post my posting here. Anyway, it's got me wondering how much more expensive are they compared to UK? Are they expensive in comparison to cost of living in Hungary or expensive as in UK £'s?
Natural gas Euro/kWh (may 2012)
UK 0.038
Hungary 0.057

So about 50% more expensive - can't say whether gas consumption would be more here than in the UK though I would suspect it to be slightly higher here.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Natural gas Euro/kWh (may 2012)
UK 0.038
Hungary 0.057

So about 50% more expensive - can't say whether gas consumption would be more here than in the UK though I would suspect it to be slightly higher here.
Gee - 50% more expensive! My parents-in-law only have gas for heating and hot water although the brother/sister-in-law have a wood burner as well.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It is also of lower calorific value than UK gas. Someone told me they brought their gas stove here and the same pan of spuds takes a lot longer to boil in Hungary.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looks like solar powered energy is the way forward along with a wood burner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.