British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Hardcore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/hardcore-910933/)

enter Mar 26th 2018 3:55 pm

Hardcore

Bit of help please. What is the name for "hardcore" also the small stone to mix with concrete powder to eak it out.

Peter_in_Hungary Mar 26th 2018 8:45 pm

Re: Hardcore

Originally Posted by enter (Post 12470322)
What is the name for "hardcore"

Shit or épitési shit - no I'm not joking and that's the colloquial, I don't know any other name!

Originally Posted by enter (Post 12470322)
What is the name for the small stone to mix with concrete powder to eak it out.

All in ballast (sand and stone) for mixing with cement to make concrete is called Sóder. You can get various sizes of stone in the Sóder for different types of concrete and if you don't specify then you get the general purpose stuff.

wolfi Mar 27th 2018 7:49 am

Sóder is probably derived from the German Schotter and "sit" is maybe from Split (pronounced shplit, yes, that's also used in German).
The point is that for some uses you need sharp edges while for others rounded pieces are better ...

enter Mar 27th 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12470580)
Shit or épitési shit - no I'm not joking and that's the colloquial, I don't know any other name!

All in ballast (sand and stone) for mixing with cement to make concrete is called Sóder. You can get various sizes of stone in the Sóder for different types of concrete and if you don't specify then you get the general purpose stuff.

:lol:

duztee Mar 27th 2018 1:30 pm

It's not the 1st of April yet!
All this soder and shit.

duztee Mar 27th 2018 4:14 pm

Ok, I have checked back to when I bought a load of broken (crushed) concrete, bricks and old roof tiles which was used as sub foundation, and Yes it was called Shit. I thought they were just being English for me!

wolfi Mar 30th 2018 10:13 am

Originally Posted by duztee (Post 12471214)
Ok, I have checked back to when I bought a load of broken (crushed) concrete, bricks and old roof tiles which was used as sub foundation, and Yes it was called Shit. I thought they were just being English for me!

Just asked my wife's son who is on holiday here with us (with wife and child) - he really likes good cooking ...:lol:
And he said yes it's "sitt" (pronounced shit) - surely comes from the German Schutt. Bauschutt is also common in German.
Like Germany was "Schutt und Asche" at the end of WW2.

PS and totally OT:
Happy Easter everybody!

Tweedpipe Mar 31st 2018 6:50 am

Now here's an excellent 'hardcore' thread, that has given some great food for thought.
During the next heated domestic argument with Mme TPipe, instead of mumouring "Sod'er" or "Sh*t" under my breath, I'll shout out "Ballast!" at the top of my voice. She won't have a clue, and it's sure to give me that added measure of triumphant satisfaction. :lol:
Happy Easter everyone, wherever you are!