Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Good / Bad areas & Estate Agents !

Good / Bad areas & Estate Agents !

Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

123Emily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good / Bad areas & Estate Agents !

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Surely there is an obligation to provide a doctor. If your current doctor decides to cut his/her nose off by leaving (and then trying to find a new job) then they will have to be replaced. Hopefully by someone less corrupt.
Doctors and medical professionals are in the process of getting huge pay rises.
We've never paid anything to anyone in order to receive the treatment we are entitled to and neither do most of the people we know these days. It's generally older people who believe that they won't receive decent treatment if they don't pay extra. Having said that, I don't live in BP .....thank goodness.
I think maybe if you live in a small town it is easier, as the doctor has a closer relationship, and also you probably appear a more permanent resident, than I do as a international student.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

It depends ...
My Hungarian brother in law wants an operation on his eye - he was told he'd have to wait at least two months.
But if he goes to the private "praxis" (of the same doc) he can have an appointment for next week!

Many docs who work in a hospital e g do some private work on the side.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 6:54 pm
AJK
Just Joined

AJK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wolfi
It depends ...
My Hungarian brother in law wants an operation on his eye - he was told he'd have to wait at least two months.
But if he goes to the private "praxis" (of the same doc) he can have an appointment for next week!

Many docs who work in a hospital e g do some private work on the side.
Makes sense. Having the same procedure done at a private clinic is not free as it is in a pubic hospital - therefore the waiting time should be substantially less. This is the main reason people go to private clinics if they can afford to do so.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Private does cost more, and often it is the same doctors that you see in the hospitals (senior ones mostly). But I had major bowel surgery in Budapest in 2015 and had no bother at all. Generally I have had a very positive experience with the Hungarian health service.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Private does cost more, and often it is the same doctors that you see in the hospitals (senior ones mostly).
Same as in the UK - go private and the waiting list disappears. They are bringing out new rules here to stop doctors using NHS facilities for private practices, including if you go private and need an x-ray then previously you would be sent to the NHS x-ray, now that will need to be private as well.

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Generally I have had a very positive experience with the Hungarian health service.
So have we - and in 23 years we have never paid the corruption money (so defined by the EU!)

One of the senior doctors in our county hospital was recently prosecuted for accepting (and demanding) corruption money
Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:35 pm
AJK
Just Joined

AJK is an unknown quantity at this point

It interesting how the views of people differ about the hálapénz. I fully understand why expats find the practice unnecessary and even degrading - I would have a problem myself trying to stuff an envelope in the doctor's pocket (which is how i remember it was done in the good old days) and preserve the dignity of both of us at the same time.

There is another reality though: my mother is currently going through cancer treatment in Budapest. With 100k Ft she ensured that the head of department will look after her treatment as opposed to a less experienced doctor. In her mind it was a prudent investment and I don't disagree with her.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJK
There is another reality though: my mother is currently going through cancer treatment in Budapest. With 100k Ft she ensured that the head of department will look after her treatment as opposed to a less experienced doctor. In her mind it was a prudent investment and I don't disagree with her.
Whilst I have full sympathy for you and your mother, would you agree that this is corruption and what happens to those who do not have the 100k

The practice of paying this money is decreasing with younger doctors often refusing such payments. The practice of bribing state officials (including the police) was rife when we came here and has now been stopped. The NHS is the last state service where it is still tolerated. Interestingly the tax authorities make an assumption about waiters tips and apply tax on that assumption but have never made any assumptions about hálapénz and it has never been a subject of tax - unlike waiters tips.The recent 25% pay increase is in part targeted to end the practice, although a higher priority is to stop the brain drain. The recent prosecution I mentioned above will help and send a message!