Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Girlfriend Canadian, Trying to get Hungarian Passport.

Girlfriend Canadian, Trying to get Hungarian Passport.

Old Oct 27th 2015, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

jayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Girlfriend Canadian, Trying to get Hungarian Passport.

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but i've been doing a lot of research to try and find out exactly what needs to be done.

So her grandparents are hungarian and her mother was able to get her hungarian passport years ago.

We've tried to contact the consulate here in canada to no avail. they just keep copying and pasting information.

The question i'm asking to start off with is, is a language test necessary or can she just apply providing she has all the necessary paperwork? her mother still has all the paperwork.

Am i right in thinking we can just go to ottawa embassay with all the paperwork and get this started?

Please feel free to move this if its in the wrong place.

Last edited by jayca; Oct 27th 2015 at 10:42 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 11:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend Canadian, Trying to get Hungarian Passport.

Originally Posted by JAYBAKERCA
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but i've been doing a lot of research to try and find out exactly what needs to be done.

So her grandparents are hungarian and her mother was able to get her hungarian passport years ago.

We've tried to contact the consulate here in canada to no avail. they just keep copying and pasting information.

The question i'm asking to start off with is, is a language test necessary or can she just apply providing she has all the necessary paperwork? her mother still has all the paperwork.

Am i right in thinking we can just go to ottawa embassay with all the paperwork and get this started?

Please feel free to move this if its in the wrong place.
There's no language requirement for citizenship by descent if the relevant parent is already a Hungarian citizen. The life events for the relevant lineage all need to registered in Hungary before a passport can be issued, i.e. any births, marriages, divorces or deaths for the relevant grandparent(s), her mother and herself if these haven't already been done.

Once this has been done your girlfriend will be able to apply for her Hungarian passport. Your girlfriend will need to apply in person during consular opening hours. The Hungarian Embassy in Ottawa website has more information.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

jayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
There's no language requirement for citizenship by descent if the relevant parent is already a Hungarian citizen. The life events for the relevant lineage all need to registered in Hungary before a passport can be issued, i.e. any births, marriages, divorces or deaths for the relevant grandparent(s), her mother and herself if these haven't already been done.

Once this has been done your girlfriend will be able to apply for her Hungarian passport. Your girlfriend will need to apply in person during consular opening hours. The Hungarian Embassy in Ottawa website has more information.

If the relevant part is a hungarian citizen?

Sorry, i'm not sure what you mean.

My girlfriends mother is also canadian, she was born in canada, it was HER mother who was born in Hungary.

Does that make a difference?

Thankyou
Old Oct 28th 2015, 1:55 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If the relevant part is a hungarian citizen?

Sorry, i'm not sure what you mean.

My girlfriends mother is also canadian, she was born in canada, it was HER mother who was born in Hungary.

Does that make a difference?

Thankyou
The relevant parent, i.e. the Hungarian citizen parent, so your girlfriend's mother in this case. The language requirement only comes into play if you are attempting to claim citizenship through a Hungarian-born ancestor.

You say your girlfriend's mother obtained her Hungarian passport some years ago so it sounds like a lot of work has already been done. It may be just a case of registering your girlfriend's birth if her mother's birth and marriage have already been registered.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The relevant parent, i.e. the Hungarian citizen parent, so your girlfriend's mother in this case. The language requirement only comes into play if you are attempting to claim citizenship through a Hungarian-born ancestor.

You say your girlfriend's mother obtained her Hungarian passport some years ago so it sounds like a lot of work has already been done. It may be just a case of registering your girlfriend's birth if her mother's birth and marriage have already been registered.
Girlfriends mother isnt hungarian citizen though, she just has her passport.

Sorry, am i being retarded?
Old Oct 28th 2015, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Girlfriends mother isnt hungarian citizen though, she just has her passport.

Sorry, am i being retarded?
If girlfriend's mother has a Hungarian passport, she (mother) is a Hungarian citizen. Countries don't issue passports to non-citizens .
Old Oct 28th 2015, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
If girlfriend's mother has a Hungarian passport, she (mother) is a Hungarian citizen. Countries don't issue passports to non-citizens .
So i am being retarded haha, yeah, okay!

Sweet, awesome, guess now i need to find the right forms and head over to ottawa!
Old Oct 28th 2015, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Pedantic mode: your girlfriend, not you, needs to sort out the paperwork & "head over to Ottawa"/send of the forms etc to wherever is required

(I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but I don't like the use of the word "retarded" in this context. I realise you did not mean to be offensive in any way )
Old Oct 31st 2015, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"She is not a citizen, she just has a passport". I wonder where this poster is on the Bell Curve of measured intelligence.