Reload this Page >

free public transport details

free public transport details

Old Jul 1st 2016, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

clive bradbury is an unknown quantity at this point
Default free public transport details

Hi everyone,

I know that over-65s get free public transport in Hungary. A friend of mine over that is coming with me in August. My question is: how do you do the free transport?

Do you just show id (passport?) as proof of age, or do you have to 'buy' a ticket?
Old Jul 1st 2016, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: free public transport details

It depends upon the bus/train. If the bus goes on a motorway FOR ANY PART of its journey then a 'supplement' is payable, if not then it is free. So if its a non-motorway bus then it sufficient to show your passport - otherwise show your passport and pay the 'supplement'. Trains are more difficult, either ask at the station or look on line to see which train has a supplement to be paid. The problem with trains is that you have to buy the supplement before boarding the train. It is not possible to buy it on the train from the conductor - you get charged for not having a ticket i.e. a fine !
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It is not like in UK where you have to get a pass then? What about the trams where you are isolated from the driver, is there still someone to whom you can show your passport? I have only once gone on a tram in Budapest and ended up not paying! If you get a ticket from a machine it is 350 ft but if you pay on the tram it is 450 ft. As it happens there were two tram service employees on the tram and one had a ticket he could sell me. I only had a 500 ft note and he had no change but would not let me pay 500 ft. At the end of the line he got off with me and led me to a ticket machine but it was out of order.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

clive bradbury is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Peter.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It is not like in UK where you have to get a pass then? What about the trams where you are isolated from the driver, is there still someone to whom you can show your passport? I have only once gone on a tram in Budapest and ended up not paying! If you get a ticket from a machine it is 350 ft but if you pay on the tram it is 450 ft. As it happens there were two tram service employees on the tram and one had a ticket he could sell me. I only had a 500 ft note and he had no change but would not let me pay 500 ft. At the end of the line he got off with me and led me to a ticket machine but it was out of order.
You get your train ticket from the ticket office at your local station In the case of a British OAP non resident visitor to prove you're eligible for free travel you show your passport. Similarly with trams and buses you produce your passport to the driver as you get on.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It is not like in UK where you have to get a pass then? What about the trams where you are isolated from the driver, is there still someone to whom you can show your passport?
On the trams you just get on. If an inspector get on the tram you just show your passport to show eligibility. The same with the Metro, just walk through, if the inspectors stop you again you just show your passport to show eligibility.

Of course all this will change come Brexit as Brit pensioners will loose the entitlement to free travel !!!
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
On the trams you just get on. If an inspector get on the tram you just show your passport to show eligibility. The same with the Metro, just walk through, if the inspectors stop you again you just show your passport to show eligibility.

Of course all this will change come Brexit as Brit pensioners will loose the entitlement to free travel !!!
Not necessarily. I think it will all depend on the deal the UK makes with the EU.

At present and I stand to be corrected, free travel throughout Hungary is also extended to: .

Citizens of EEA Member States (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) and Switzerland.

Foreign citizens age 65+ on the basis of a special international agreement.

Obviously though, we'll just have to wait and see!
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
Not necessarily. I think it will all depend on the deal the UK makes with the EU.

At present and I stand to be corrected, free travel throughout Hungary is also extended to: .

Citizens of EEA Member States (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) and Switzerland.

Foreign citizens age 65+ on the basis of a special international agreement.

Obviously though, we'll just have to wait and see!
I think you are correct however since migration/freedom of movement was (is) one of the major items of contention in the UK and the rules of the EEA require freedom of movement what chance is there of EEA membership remaining?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I think you are correct however since migration/freedom of movement was (is) one of the major items of contention in the UK and the rules of the EEA require freedom of movement what chance is there of EEA membership remaining?
No one is sure to this question maybe that everyone would have to a Apply for Visa.But just think over a Visa application to visit Hungary,If travelling over land Through France Germany Austria does that mean Visa application for every Country Travelling Through, Hungary Visa application lengths of Staying Here would they allow maximum Visa Times.I do know, at present that if intending to give a friend's out side the EU Treaty Zone by submitting a document supporting their Visit yourself must be The Property Owner and all documents provide then sending to your friends for Visa application to give proof of accommodation for their Staying
So you got a place here can't get hear unless gaining 3 in transit travelling Visa and one to remain in Hungary.Ok lets say you have got here and wish to go on Holiday flying to a Greek Island Visa application again
So were are the answers"I Don't Know 😭" Do's Any one No it's a dam Mess digger47

Last edited by mawood47; Jul 4th 2016 at 2:57 am.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Digger, I think it will be just one "Schengen Visa" for all the remaining EU countries - as it is right now for other visitors from overseas eg.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wolfi
Digger, I think it will be just one "Schengen Visa" for all the remaining EU countries - as it is right now for other visitors from overseas eg.
Yes but Uk not part of Schengen Treaty myself thinking is will there a Visa application on same grounds as those who are not members of Schengen Treaty
One other thing bothering myself now Angela Merkel as ousted Junker is this now a Woman with the Big Stick making a Federal Eropen Democracy then Watch your Backs digger47
Old Jul 9th 2016, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I show my ID and pay 150 ft supplement for the train to Budapest, and just show ID for the buses which are then free.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duztee
I show my ID and pay 150 ft supplement for the train to Budapest, and just show ID for the buses which are then free.
Same again Budapest to Pace but Train and cost 560hf taken advantage of wonderful weekend breaks with friends digger47
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

On trains from Szeged to Budapest the following is true:

If you are an EU Pensioner, you do not need a Pensioner Pass Certificate (Photo ID Card) or a Pass Coupon (Ticket) as a Passport or ID Card will be sufficient enough 'Proof of Age'; therefore giving you free travel (without the need for a ticket).

A Travel Pass in Hungary (Budapest) consists of a Pass Certificate (Photo ID Card) and a Pass Coupon (Ticket). You MUST write the pass certificate's number (i.e. your Pensioner Pass Certificate's number or Student Card number) in the empty box on the back of the pass coupon (ticket).

As said above: If you are an EU Pensioner, you do not need a Pensioner Pass Certificate (Photo ID Card) or a Pass Coupon (Ticket) to travel on public transport. A Pensioner Pass Certificate (for Hungarians for example) is issued by BKV whereas a Student Card is issued by the government via the Education/University Application you fill out upon enrollment, usually with help from an administrator.

NOTE: As a pensioner travelling between Szeged and Budapest Airport (and vice versa) you can also travel for free, on the Non-Intercity Carriages only, on the MÁV START train using your Passport or ID Card only. However, you MUST pay the compulsory Fast Train fee (tax) of 295 HUF (around 73p) for each journey. And if you want to travel First Class or Second Class on a MÁV START Intercity Train (Carriage) you need to pay the compulsory Inter-City Reservation fee of 595 HUF (around £1.48) and therefore book a date/time of travel.

Further clarification/reading - Google: BKV Travel Conditions (Section 3: Use of the tickets and passes.), BKV F.A.Q (Section 6: EU citizens of age 65 and above.) and MÁV START - Pensioner Fees.

As a side note: I (not a pensioner) travelled from Szeged to Kecskemét whereby I was unable to buy a ticket at Szeged train station due to the train leaving! So I jumped on the train (in order not to miss an invitation (lunch) from a Hungarian friend) whereby the ticket inspector allowed me to pay on the train (with no penalty/fine).