Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

English TV in Hungary

English TV in Hungary

Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:48 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English TV in Hungary

I still think the most comfortable way to watch TV is to buy a 1.20mt dish and LNB about 9000ft total and any sat box with card and it's done.

IMO your pc is an only if all else fails way to go.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:52 am
Goo
Just Joined

Goo is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: English TV in Hungary

Hi All,
Some update on my Sat TV saga in Balaton.
After advice (and the fact that they failed to comvince me) I cancelled all dealings with the certain company in Heviz.
A friend, in Balaton, I've known for 5 years have told me off for not asking him about Sat TV first. HE subsequently put me in contatc with a local who does Sat installations.
In short; in the first week of June he has installed an 85cm dish with twin cabeling and aligned it to what we needed Astra 2a&b, and now we have a number of news channels (what we were after really), C4HD (I brought my own SKY+ HD box from UK £50 on eBay mint condition, I also brought my own Quad LNB £5 on eBay V FT15000 in Hungary!), and alot of movie channels (like True Movies etc.), I understand I should be able to get ITV and Ch5 also but I really did not spend any time fiddling with the tuning or the settings of the box...too busy. So currently we receive what ever the box was tuned in for originally.
And the bonus is that, all this for a third off the price I was quoted in Heviz gang!
And another thing; Heviz gang was certain that unless they fitted the 1.1m dish in the middle of my roof in full view (making my house look like Gaddafi's hideout); but this guy said if it was ok with me, he would like to try and fit it in the far end of the house on the side wall to ry and hide it from the street view! Now you have to look really hard to see the top corner of the dish from the street. Oh did I mention, to my wife's delight, there are no cables trailing outside the house either!!

This guy knows what he is doing and he was honest about what is and is not possible to receive from my location. He told me that he has a 40 cm.dish on his 4th floor balcony and he gets all the channels I can get, but he did say that he looses all when it is cloudy!

I am driving to Balaton in 2 weeks and will take a Digital Satellite receiver and a Freesat receiver, I want to see what different channels (if any) can I get with them! Will report back accordingly.

He asked me to pass his details to all who might need assistance with Sat TV:
Fentös Gabor
[email protected]
+36-30-471-83-84

Why not contact him for a site inspection and a quote, it's free!

I hope all is well with all of you

Best Regards (I can't wait to get to Balaton in August)
Goo
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Goo
Hi All,
Some update on my Sat TV saga in Balaton.
And another thing; Heviz gang was certain that unless they fitted the 1.1m dish in the middle of my roof in full view (making my house look like Gaddafi's hideout); but this guy said if it was ok with me, he would like to try and fit it in the far end of the house on the side wall to ry and hide it from the street view! Now you have to look really hard to see the top corner of the dish from the street. Oh did I mention, to my wife's delight, there are no cables trailing outside the house either!!

I am driving to Balaton in 2 weeks and will take a Digital Satellite receiver and a Freesat receiver, I want to see what different channels (if any) can I get with them! Will report back accordingly.
Goo

The Heviz lot are probably represented in Dias as they also gave us a horrendous quote and wanted to place it on the roof, meaning a hole through it!

I ended placing an 80cm dish on the terrace and we get a good deal of channels with a free-to-air receiver including the red button ones giving us sports and other special TV events.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Any clear uncomplicated advice would be welcome, we are due to relocate next year and I am very confused with all the different info on the forum although I appreciate any info is good. I am thinking of a 62cm dish with either free to air receiver which is inexpensive or a humax foxsat HD twin tuner thingy with recordable hard drive????? I have emailed humax but they have not responded yet after 1 week mmm Sky.eu is a basic £19.00 plus /month with £60.00 management fees twice a year.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:35 pm
Goo
Just Joined

Goo is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: English TV in Hungary

Hi Richard,

I would forget about the Sky subscription for now. Send an email to the guy I wrote about in my previous message, he will give you clear advice you need.
One thing to remember is that if you bring your own equipment (even the dish) from UK, you will save a lot of money.

Where are you looking to relocate to in Balaton?

Regards,
Goo.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Goo
Hi Richard,

I would forget about the Sky subscription for now. Send an email to the guy I wrote about in my previous message, he will give you clear advice you need.
One thing to remember is that if you bring your own equipment (even the dish) from UK, you will save a lot of money.

Where are you looking to relocate to in Balaton?

Regards,
Goo.
And I would say the bigger dish the better. iPlayer is being introduced soon for overseas, on subscription - a best of BBC programmes.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Thans GOO/ OGSG yes own equipment from England will be best, we are near Fonyod
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Default Channel 5, 5 USA, fiver etc.

An enquiry on behalf of a "Balaton" Brit regarding UK TV:

Does anyone know why channel 5, 5 USA, fiver etc. has gone off the air? or
how to get this back again?

I'll pass any info on. Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:27 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed some info to Bob this morning - not sure if it's relevant but think there are several channels changing satellites recently.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Nov 28th 2011 at 12:01 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 4:27 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I think it might be relevant, I'll post the link here.

Hope it helps
Old Nov 28th 2011, 5:09 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

I noticed they are now selling Internet enabled blue ray disc players now, which enable you to download channels direct to your tv via the Blue ray player. Relatively inexpensive as well at only £69.00
Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:46 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Now that I think it might be relevant, I'll post the link here.

Hope it helps

Thanks - it looks like the "5" tv channels have moved to Astra 2D, so without a 2.3m dish (& who has/ wants that!) maybe Channel 5 reception in Hungary is finished?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SteveNLisa
I noticed they are now selling Internet enabled blue ray disc players now, which enable you to download channels direct to your tv via the Blue ray player. Relatively inexpensive as well at only £69.00
Yes maybe, but no help if you can't get reception via your satellite dish
iPlayer etc. are not legally accessible abroad if you are considering downloading from the Internet, the illegal software that may provide this facility is more than likely to be messing up your PC/ mac etc. Beware!
Some Hungarian cable TV providers have http://www.bbcentertainment.com/europe/ as do their satellite packages.
BBC Worldwide are supposed to be having a commercial version of iPlayer available soon as well.
You will need the broadband speed to match if you want to watch livestreaming unless of course you download first and then watch.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:22 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Now BBC News Channel has moved to Astra 2D, it is hard to pick up in Hungary without a massive dish.

On asking the BBC why they moved it I was told to save money. They said BBC News was not intended for those outside the UK and directed me to "BBC World News" as a substitute on Hotbird 6. 13 degrees.

I wonder if anyone has tried it & has any views?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:37 pm
Veszprém Megye

For those that miss the easy Astra access to BBC News

You can watch BBC World News on

www.livestation.com/channels/10-bbc-world-news-english

(not accessible in the UK)

if you have a good broadband connection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.