Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

English TV in Hungary

English TV in Hungary

Old May 7th 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Re: English TV in Hungary

Sorry I'll also post it here:

You can receive BBC red button channels - larger footprint it seems - even if the BBC channels are not available. BUT you would need a free to air receiver NOT a Freesat as on the fta one each red button channel will have its own channel on the receiver. On the FSAt one you would only be able to access it via the BBC channel's red button and if you don't have these ...

Meaning you can get F1 and Wimbedon and other sports that are on the red button, and next year the Olympics I suspect
Old May 16th 2011, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Have just returned from Hungary, and have visited Visionet in Heviz. First, I started by looking at and asking the prices of all the equipment that I would require and more. I checked in the UK before I went so I didn't make a fool of myself. The prices are reasonable, the quality is poor. The largest dish they supply is a 1.1m dish (about £60), hence that is why they say that no other dish is required. Any bigger dish would take apparently take a week to find out the price...
The reciever boxes are cheap and poor quality, prices from £20 to £85 (though they may be adequate for some channels). I asked for references and they asked me to return in the afternoon. I returned! They said that they have a very good British customer in Nemesbuk, but with regards to confidentiality they cannot give out addresses or details.
I asked if they could guarantee the work if the channels specified are not recieved, to which they would not answer, but said that any channel not recieved is not free and is your problem.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:36 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Visionet should be avoided at all costs - regardless of quality, cost etc Anyone wishing further info can PM me.

By that I mean, even if they sold the highest quality goods at the cheapest prices, their customer service is so appalling you should avoid them.

Thanks Bronty for the info, looks like one of our fellow posters has been promoted to "satisfied customer"

Last edited by Rural Hungary; May 16th 2011 at 10:55 am.
Old May 16th 2011, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough

I had a horrible experience with visionet as well but with the one in Fonyod. I will never go back there even if they are the only ones selling something I really really need.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

An interesting point, when I was in Hungary last week, a friend showed me something which might have some affect on your TV reception. A normal TV connected to a normal reciever with a cheap coax cable that was bought from ASDA's . There was no reception for CNN and some other Brit channels, but.... when they changed the coax to a better/heavy duty quality one, all the channels came up straight away.
This goes to show that the quality of your equipment does affect your reception, and might not even be the dish. I have now thrown out all my spare cheap coaxes, it is just not worth the trouble.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by riahun
I had a horrible experience with visionet as well but with the one in Fonyod. I will never go back there even if they are the only ones selling something I really really need.
MediaMarkt in Zalaegerszeg will also have hardware and the other "extras" you may need. Then there are possibly expats who are willing to help out.

I also had the experience of a ridiculous quote by Hungarian comparisons for just installing equipment.

If you want something doing get a Hungarian friend to get it sorted as there are usually 3 differing prices for Hungarians, expat Hungarians and foreigners!
Old May 29th 2011, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

rainbow22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this thread - great info !
Old May 31st 2011, 5:05 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

A useful tip, If you are struggling to get one or two channels in Hungary as my friend was, it could be your box as some are better than others, however it can also be the region where your Sky card comes from in the uk with weaker signals. Do a google for frequencies on the channel you can't receive and try adding channels you may get lucky as my friend did and get it on a different frequency.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Default English TV in Hungary: Wimbledon/ F1

A reminder that if you are a Wimbledon fan they are featuring, it seems, ALL matches including those from Beeb2 on their red button facility. (This also happens for F1 with the free practice, qualifying, race and F1 forum).

To access this you will need a free to air satellite receiver and scan the Astra 28.5 satellite and it should pick these streams up.

Same goes for Proms fans later this year!

Enjoy your viewing!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:10 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I also know a friend who uses these

http://expatshield.com/

You have to download the player and it gives you a UK ip address.

Lot's of adverts on it though but if it's the only way you can get Uk tv you may find it worth it.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I also know a friend who uses these

http://expatshield.com/

You have to download the player and it gives you a UK ip address.

Lot's of adverts on it though but if it's the only way you can get Uk tv you may find it worth it.
Can mess up your PC though with malware etc.!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:31 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder, has anyone used Hotspot Shield? What are the risks please?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: English TV in Hungary on your PC

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
I wonder, has anyone used Hotspot Shield? What are the risks please?
See comments here: http://download.cnet.com/hotspot-shield/

And here: http://bestvpnreviews.com/best-free-...ree-vpn-review
Having read them I wouldn't take the risk.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:30 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I used it and it was a nightmare to clear from my system!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Go for the legal method! See this report: Authorities Shut Down 'BSkyB Pirate TV'

iPlayer Set to Go Overseas

During Tuesday night's Banff World Festival, President of Worldwide Networks and Global iPlayer for BBC Worldwide, Jana Bennet announced that the BBC is gearing up to launch an international version of iPlayer, BBC's catch-up service. The corporation intends to move slowly with the experiment, completing it in stages. It is set to start in the late summer of this year, beginning by making it available in Western Europe. The Beeb is also gearing up for a US launch, though no date has been set.

The international version of iPlayer will have a mix of archive content and contemporary content. It's set to launch with a range of programmes, which include factual, natural history, documentaries, comedy, music, and children's programmes. Programmes that currently do not fit any of these genres may not be included yet. In her statement, Bennet said: We want global BBC iPlayer to imaginatively engage an on-demand audience with the best classic and contemporary British shows.

Bennet made it clear that the international version would be very different from its British equivalent, which involves a seven day catch-up for the programmes broadcast on BBC's domestic TV and radio stations. “The freedom from catch-up means that we've got a lot more flexibility in terms of what we put on there and how we present it,” said Bennet. “In overseas markets, where the whole gamut of the BBC's linear broadcast isn't available, applying the on-demand model we have in the UK doesn't make sense... While it won't happen overnight, our ambition is to present a timeless mix of classic and contemporary UK creativity, showcasing the best of British content from the 1950s to the present day.”

Apart from availability of programmes, international iPlayer will also be different from its British counterpart by charging its users. iPlayer in the UK is available free of charge because of the compulsory television license-fee. Though the final price for the international version is yet to be decided, Mark Thompson, BBC director general, said it's likely to cost “a small number of dollars per month—definitely fewer than US$10 (£6).”

Similar to the UK model, however, international iPlayer, which will start as an app only available to iPads, will be able to branch out onto other devices through the open internet. The exact list of devices are yet to be revealed, but the PlayStation3 has already been named.

Alongside the launch of iPlayer, Bennet aims to make more BBC channels available overseas, as well as commission BBC programming with an international appeal. Already on the agenda are plans to provide coverage of the Queen's diamond jubilee celebration next year.

Last edited by OGSG; Jul 12th 2011 at 7:38 pm. Reason: Additional info!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.