Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dreaming of moving

Dreaming of moving

Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreaming of moving

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
Thank you both…. I think I need an expert or two to have a good look at these things !
When you get an 'expert' to look at things make sure it is an independent expert and not like the UK where the usual 'expert' on damp problems is a rep for the injected retrofit type of damp course companies or some other organisation or firm with a vested interest in getting the job for lots of GBPs.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
When you get an 'expert' to look at things make sure it is an independent expert and not like the UK where the usual 'expert' on damp problems is a rep for the injected retrofit type of damp course companies or some other organisation or firm with a vested interest in getting the job for lots of GBPs.
I will do Peter, a surveyor type person would probably be a good bet as they will have seen it all before. I have posted a pic that was taken on my first visit to the property that shows the damp mark running along the wall and which has caused the plaster to go soft at floor level ! This completely disappeared after having the wood burner on for a few nights.
Attached Thumbnails Dreaming of moving-20170408_133315-copy.jpg  
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I am enjoying following this thread, interesting and informative.
But for anyone else who is following it because they are still in the dreaming but not yet committed stage, I want to add a thought.

The UK logic of buying a cheap property to renovate and update really doesn't apply here in Hungary.
As this thread shows there are a myriad of problems to deal with, and the simple fact is you will not increase the value of the property in line with your investments.

So for those still thinking I would suggest it is possibly better to add the funds you will need for renovation to your purchase fund and buy a newer better property in the first place.
Live the dream and leave out the nightmares.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
I am enjoying following this thread, interesting and informative.
But for anyone else who is following it because they are still in the dreaming but not yet committed stage, I want to add a thought.

The UK logic of buying a cheap property to renovate and update really doesn't apply here in Hungary.
As this thread shows there are a myriad of problems to deal with, and the simple fact is you will not increase the value of the property in line with your investments.

So for those still thinking I would suggest it is possibly better to add the funds you will need for renovation to your purchase fund and buy a newer better property in the first place.
Live the dream and leave out the nightmares.
I have to agree with your points…to an extent !
There were several reasons that I chose the property that I did and the reasons were personal to me and therefore do not necessarily apply to everyone !
I only had so much money available and, unlike many on here, did not have a property here in the UK to sell and retire on the funds or to rent out and have an income from it. Therefore, I had to use what I had available….and apart from a general desire to escape the UK and live in a better place, as I approach retirement in the not too distant future, I have no desire to spend the rest of my life handing over ever growing rent to a landlord.Having spent a long time weighing up the pros and cons of several countries, Hungary ticked all of the right boxes for me.
I spent a considerable time looking at different areas in Hungary and it was Zala county that came out on top for me.
I was, and still am of the opinion that for me, choosing between a more expensive property that was either newer or had already been renovated, I would still have gone for what I did as I would prefer to renovate as I want it even though it is going to take time. I also looked at many properties, some better in terms of more "modern" but the one I eventually bought stood out from all of the others….and oddly, was the first choice of many friends who I showed my final choices to ! I chose it primarily for the location but also because it has so much character…I intend to keep the exterior and outbuildings as close to original as possible !
For me, the most important thing I kept in mind is the advice that many people on here advocate….. not to buy a property and spend money on renovations UNLESS YOU INTEND TO LIVE IN IT !!! I bought it for that sole purpose and not as an investment and dived in eyes wide open !!
I have no idea how many "nightmares" I am going to encounter along the way but…. the final dream is what counts for me personally !!!
Old Nov 14th 2017, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dreaming of moving

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
I have to agree with your points…to an extent !
There were several reasons that I chose the property that I did and the reasons were personal to me and therefore do not necessarily apply to everyone !
I only had so much money available and, unlike many on here, did not have a property here in the UK to sell and retire on the funds or to rent out and have an income from it. Therefore, I had to use what I had available….and apart from a general desire to escape the UK and live in a better place, as I approach retirement in the not too distant future, I have no desire to spend the rest of my life handing over ever growing rent to a landlord.Having spent a long time weighing up the pros and cons of several countries, Hungary ticked all of the right boxes for me.
I spent a considerable time looking at different areas in Hungary and it was Zala county that came out on top for me.
I was, and still am of the opinion that for me, choosing between a more expensive property that was either newer or had already been renovated, I would still have gone for what I did as I would prefer to renovate as I want it even though it is going to take time. I also looked at many properties, some better in terms of more "modern" but the one I eventually bought stood out from all of the others….and oddly, was the first choice of many friends who I showed my final choices to ! I chose it primarily for the location but also because it has so much character…I intend to keep the exterior and outbuildings as close to original as possible !
For me, the most important thing I kept in mind is the advice that many people on here advocate….. not to buy a property and spend money on renovations UNLESS YOU INTEND TO LIVE IN IT !!! I bought it for that sole purpose and not as an investment and dived in eyes wide open !!
I have no idea how many "nightmares" I am going to encounter along the way but…. the final dream is what counts for me personally !!!
What's important with properties - Location location and then location. And apart from that right on the button - good luck
Old Nov 14th 2017, 11:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hobgoblins,

Dutzee is right, but that doesn't necessarily contradict what you are doing.

I bought very cheap (four figures €) and have had quite a bit of work done but have done quite a lot myself. I probably wouldn't get everything back if I sold, but I've had a lot out of the house. Importantly though, I couldn't have afforded my own property any other way.

Would I do it again, knowing what I know now? Probably not: with hindsight I would probably have bought a place in rural Germany instead. But that is partly owing to changes in my personal circumstances and the property markets that I couldn't have predicted at the time.

The key to happiness in Hungary lies in thinking at least partly like a Hungarian.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Watchpost
Hobgoblins,

Dutzee is right, but that doesn't necessarily contradict what you are doing.

I bought very cheap (four figures €) and have had quite a bit of work done but have done quite a lot myself. I probably wouldn't get everything back if I sold, but I've had a lot out of the house. Importantly though, I couldn't have afforded my own property any other way.

Would I do it again, knowing what I know now? Probably not: with hindsight I would probably have bought a place in rural Germany instead. But that is partly owing to changes in my personal circumstances and the property markets that I couldn't have predicted at the time.

The key to happiness in Hungary lies in thinking at least partly like a Hungarian.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess….if only if only…. !
I think you are absolutely correct in that you need to think like a local, something that can only come by living there for a time….I know from spending a long time living in Indonesia that it is totally pointless going through life comparing things to "back home"….. thinking and saying "we don't do things like that at home" etc…. a pointless exercise as that's the way things are done in the place you are at….going with the flow is a far more sensible and less stressful way to live… !
Old Nov 17th 2017, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The function of the circuit breaker is to protect the wiring and has nothing to do with what appliance or load is placed on the circuit. So a 16A circuit will have a 16A circuit breaker to protect the 16A capacity wire from which the circuit is constructed. This is one of the problems with the UK ring main using 2.5 t&e cable with a 32A circuit breaker, fine as long as there are no faults because each side of the ring can carry 16A but if one of the conductors breaks then there is the possibility of 32A going down one 2.5mm2 wire which will only support about 20A, which eventually over heat.
I was aware that the mcb was chosen to protect the wiring. In UK the lighting is wired in 1 mm or 1.5 mm. Are you saying that in Hungary the lighting should be wired in 2.5 mm?
Old Nov 17th 2017, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I was aware that the mcb was chosen to protect the wiring. In UK the lighting is wired in 1 mm or 1.5 mm. Are you saying that in Hungary the lighting should be wired in 2.5 mm?
Lighting is not wired on a separate circuit here, the lights are on the same circuits as the power sockets. Circuits can be wired for a capacity of 16A or 25A with the mcb chosen to match the capacity of the wire. Most circuits seem to be 16A. You can have as many 16A or 25A radial circuits in a house as you like but the collective concurrent load can't exceed that of the main mcb which is usually 32A