Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dreaming of moving

Dreaming of moving

Old Sep 7th 2017, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Flydragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dreaming of moving

Haha fair enough. To be honest I drink all sorts of beer and whilst I was there I tried Dreher, Soproni, pilsner and szkeley sor (transylvanian beer). Can't wait to drink them again!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Flydragon is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=cathyg;12333184]Hi Flydragon

We live north of lake Balaton around the Veszprém area. It is good because although it is a tourist area it is also largely residential which means that it is quieter in the winter but still functioning for everything that you need.
Velence is lovely and has very good train services for commuting to BP. (About 30 mins). The train is very cheap and I believe you can buy an annual ticket that entitles you to 70% discount.

Yes, we did catch a train to Budapest. It seemed fairly new, quite clean and plenty of seats even though it was peak time.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

GMC girl is an unknown quantity at this point

We are currently in the process of moving, after about 18 months of research & finding something that suited us. Like you we love the people, the lifestyle & cant wait to sell up here & be out there.

Having grown up in rural Ireland & living fairly rurally here in Wales, we are ready for the tranquil Hungarian countryside & wonderful new adventures.

Like Peter says, go for it now &I am sure the rest will work out ok.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I think the important factor that you are missing is asking the girlfriend why she laughed and said 'One day'.

This sounds like a girl who knows Hungary only too well and is in No big hurry at all to live here!

You didn't give us your age but reading between the lines, you are young enough to need employment. So before you get carried away research employment and rates of pay, then you might understand your girlfriends reaction.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
I think the important factor that you are missing is asking the girlfriend why she laughed and said 'One day'.

This sounds like a girl who knows Hungary only too well and is in No big hurry at all to live here!

You didn't give us your age but reading between the lines, you are young enough to need employment. So before you get carried away research employment and rates of pay, then you might understand your girlfriends reaction.
Although I'm still living in England with plans to retire to Hungary when the right time comes I can understand where Duztee is coming from. It's not a decision to take lightly. You really need to understand HUNGARY ..... sorry for the caps .... just had to emphasise there's alot more to it than what you see on the surface. I know because I have been going to Hungary for fifteen years and been on this forum for probably a couple of years less than that. I've paid attention what the regular contributors say on here and taken on board what I can expect when I finally get over there.
My wife's sister and husband seemed quite surprised when we told them of our plans but suffice to say ..... I love a challenge ... and as a profoundly deaf person am used to having to overcome barriers!!!! I know it will be tough when we first move over but with a Hungarian wife and a good network of deaf friends I'm confident we will settle into Hungarian life. We are planning to do everything ourselves except asking someone to make phone calls because it's not something we can do. Here in the UK I have the option of using two special telephone relay services. The Hungarian version is not as advanced and expensive but should I need to phone any government departments in the UK or the top companies, i.e. banks, department of works and pensions, mobile phone providers, etc. I can use the UK service easily via the internet.
Bottom line for me is I just want to get away from the UK. I feel it has lost it's way through political correctness and within this political correctness it has not included deaf people like myself. We are bottom of the equality & diversity hierachy!!!
We know life won't be 100% perfect living in Hungary but atleast we will be with people, both deaf and hearing, who we know will support us in Hungary.

P.S. I might have had a couple of shots of whiskey too many! My tongue is dying for a shot of palinka!
Old Sep 10th 2017, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by duztee

One of the booming areas for employment in Hungary, especially requiring English language, is Shared Services Centres for multi-nationals, for which I work for one. These are firms such as Diageo, ABB, T Mobile, Vodafone, IBM, Morgan Stanley etc.These are not call centres, but combined services looking after various lines of business within each company. Ours covers contracts, finance, IT managed services, HR and so on. New hires need to speak at least English to business proficiency and preferably one other language. Office language is English. (I hasten to add that my Hungarian is enough for shopping, filling up the car and restaurants but I'm definitely at conversational level). I'm not going to dicscuss my salary in detail but it is significantly more than the national average, and I get the benefit of working at home three days a week, commuting to BP for the other two. Due to my age I get significantly better holidays than I did in the UK, and our standard of living is better here than we could hope for in the UK.

Regards,
Carrot Cruncher
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

ildiw13 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, i am very interested how did you decide. we are in the same position. English husband, i am hungarian. Hw wants to go more. I am a bit scared of leaving everything, the security etc.
Did you find out anything about healthcare? Thats my biggest worry.
Ps we would move to Heves megye, Tarnamera. Would built our house.
Any advise?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ildiw13
HI, i am very interested how did you decide. we are in the same position. English husband, i am hungarian. Hw wants to go more. I am a bit scared of leaving everything, the security etc.
Did you find out anything about healthcare? Thats my biggest worry.
Ps we would move to Heves megye, Tarnamera. Would built our house.
Any advise?
I am in the same boat as your husband. I've two years to go to retiring. Wife does seem a bit worried because she has lived in UK since 1990.
It's more than likely we will buy ready built house. If you can find a good plot and reliable builder you could configure the house to your specs. I've noticed many ready built houses have these awfully long driveways to a garage. I'd forget that and put garage/shelter nearer entrance/exit to your property but only if it looked "pretty" if you know what I mean.
as near to entrance/exit of your property and use the "garage" space as an outdoor kitchen.
Main issue for us is different electrical plugs so we are planning to leave our white goods here and buy new.
British TV ..... I don't want to give this up but at same time think I need to watch less TV and be more active.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Main issue for us is different electrical plugs so we are planning to leave our white goods here and buy new.
Cut the UK plugs off and fit European ones. They're very inexpensive and only take 2 or 3 minutes to fit.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Paul is right - the continent used to have 220 V compared to Britain's 240 but now it's standardides at 235/240 - so no problem.
If you want new white goods ok - but be warned:
Sometimes the highest efficiency models (A+++ etc) are not available here in Hungary, because they are too expensive.

I still remember when I bought a washing machine - the max revolutions of the centrifugue was 800, now it's maybe 1000 or 1200 while in Germany they run at 1600.
And consider buying a more expensive brand - when our dishwasher broke it was difficult to get a repairman and the one who was willing asked immediately:
What brand is it? If not a Bosch or Siemens, no way!

The cheap Chinese brands are difficult to repair and even more difficult to get spare parts.
PS:
I don't know about availability of spare parts for your British brands however
Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Cut the UK plugs off and fit European ones. They're very inexpensive and only take 2 or 3 minutes to fit.
I haven't got a clue how to convert 3 wired appliance to 2 wired socket.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

The standard onthe continent for sockets/plugs is "Schuko" (Schutzkontakt) which is 3 wires - if you still have the old 2 wires cabling and sockets, replace them!
Of course that would be a bit expensive - rewiring the whole house ...
Old Nov 9th 2017, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I haven't got a clue how to convert 3 wired appliance to 2 wired socket.
You don't convert a 3 wired appliance to 2 wired socket. You put a 3 wire plug on it which, as said above, is the standard plug and use it in a 2 wire socket. The caveat is that there will be no earth connection which is a safety feature for many (older) appliances, but a lot of new ones are double insulated and have no earth connection anyway. If you have 2 wire wiring you will probably need to rewire anyway (especially if the wiring is aluminium). As a temporary fix you can fit a 30mA earth leak circuit breaker (ELCB) which will cut the power to protect life in the event of an electrical short that makes an appliance dangerous.
With regard to bringing over your white goods - IMO that is up to you. If they are quite old then probably not worth the transport cost and getting them repaired will depend upon the attitude of the repair man. Electronic failures will probably write the machine off but mechanical failures will depend upon the fixit guy being creative if the parts are difficult /expensive to get.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Peter, an ELCB or RCD or FI-switch is a must imho too -with atwo wire system it can be a life saver.
In some countries it's the law for new installations - I think we've discussed this here before but it's good to repeat it!
Re old appliances I also agree - with oneor two exceptions:

We still use our old fridge - only in summer for drinks, it's in the garage/shed.

And also the old washing machine gets taken outside maybe once a month to wash cleaning stuff and the dog blankets etc ...

PS:
It's also a good idea to have several electric sockets outside on your terrace and what we call our "summer kitchen" where we have a grill, a microwave, a coffee machine etc - and there a safety device likean ELCB is also a good idea if you can't install it for the whole house which of course is the best soltution.

And one also should look at the current capacity - we have three phase now, every phase 20 Ampere.
Old houses often have just one phase - that's obviously not enough if you have several appliances.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
And one also should look at the current capacity - we have three phase now, every phase 20 Ampere.
Old houses often have just one phase - that's obviously not enough if you have several appliances.
The current standard (pun intended) is 32A single phase plus 32A for an off peak (night) meter. If you want more than that it will cost about 5000HUF per Amp. Generally 32A will be enough unless you want an electric hob which are usually around 30A. on their own. But upgrading the power will require the electric box to be brought up to todays standard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.