Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dogs on chains no more?

Dogs on chains no more?

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs on chains no more?

Happy New Year Everyone!

I'd already read about the new law regarding chaining dogs, and other animal welfare regulation prior to its becoming law this year. I don't know what difference it'll make in the rural areas though.

At least in the village where I live none of the dogs are chained, although some of the conditions they live in leave a lot to be desired at least they have the freedom to roam around the village. My own two are considered to be spoilt because they sleep in the house and I have been asked more than once how can I expect them to protect me when I treat them so well!

Despite being the odd ones out my dogs are accepted by the dogs in the village. I often wonder whether it's because they bark in Hungarian like all the others?

Having said that, when I take my two to Miskolc each week for training we meet with a completely different sort of dog owner the majority of whom keep their dog in the house and treat them as family pets in much the same way as responsible owners do in the UK
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is quite different in the towns where a lot of the owners live in flats and could not keep an animal outside if they wanted to. In Nagykanizsa I see pampered pets with winter coats, toys etc being taken for walks. The same at the vets but you do get the odd one where the owner does not dare to take his animal into the waiting room for fear of a bloodbath.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
To be perfectly honest, had we known about the way some dogs are treated in rural areas in Hungary - we would never have moved here.
I don't think there is anywhere in the world where animals of one kind or another are not treated badly. No country or society is perfect .... even in the UK there's people who treat animals very badly, i.e. shooting them with cross-bows, air guns, hacking off tails (horses), putting cats/kittens in a microwave .... and even spray painting them. Yes, this happens in the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Following on from Fen,
my sister runs a dog refuse in Nth Wales, it is supposed to be for 20 dogs but she always has nearer 30 to be fed and hopefully rehomed.
OK so Wales is not actually England but let's not be sanctimonious about how wonderful us English are to our dogs.

As for the origins of guard dogs I don't know, but I thinking originally dogs were domesticated as hunting animal and geese were used to forewarn of strangers.