Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dogs on chains no more?

Dogs on chains no more?

Old Dec 30th 2015, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dogs on chains no more?

I have seen reports that from 1 January 2016 dogs will no longer be allowed to be kept on chains in Hungary. Could I dare hope that this is true?
Old Dec 30th 2015, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs on chains no more?

I heard about such a law but could not find any reference to the number. I also heard about (but again could not find any reference to the number) a law limiting the amount of time a dog could be chained up. There is a law (115/2012) that governs the minimum length of chain allowed.
As always the devil will be in the detail, no chains, or limited time e.g.over night or some hours per 24, what about run lines etc.
Most of these types of regulations are down to the local council to enforce and they usually are reluctant to act unless there is a specific complaint - so someone will have to complain about their neighbour - how often will that happen?
Old Dec 30th 2015, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
I have seen reports that from 1 January 2016 dogs will no longer be allowed to be kept on chains in Hungary. Could I dare hope that this is true?
I hope this is true. I've seen too many dogs chained up. My Hungarian wife mentioned that the chain has to be more than a specific length but last time I was in Hungary I didn't see any chains longer than the previous time I was in Hungary.

The Hungarian government should also look at how often the dogs are fed. My father-in-law is always feeding their neighbours dog!
Old Dec 30th 2015, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Here is a link to the news report
Péntektől tilos láncon tartani a kutyát | Híradó

From my limited Hungarian I understand that keeping a dog on a chain is now an offence, however, so is having your dog escape. I have heard that now some are considering cages...the law of unintended consequences I think.

I have also heard that running chains are 'okay'.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I have also heard that running chains are 'okay'.

I took Charlie to a vet who kept a dog like that. I only used that vet once.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I took Charlie to a vet who kept a dog like that. I only used that vet once.
Beggars belief doesn't it!
Old Dec 31st 2015, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Again I have to agree with Peter's comment, making a law is not the same as enforcing a law.
But if it is enforced I feel it will not end well for the dog.
A dog which has always been chained will not suddenly become well behaved and obedient if it is unchained, so I fear it will either be a cage as Polly suggests or put down.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

My wife also told me about this new law - somehow people will have to arrange with it.
I could tell you heart-braking stories about the poor dogs that we meet when we walk our dog through the village and the vineyards ...

There are some on a chain or in a kennel two times three meters all their life and even if the kennel is larger they never leave it to meet other dogs or even people ...
So of course when they see a chance they run away.

Our dog usually goes up to others, friendly wagging her tail, when they come to the fence - some keep barking like mad incessantly, sometimes even running along the fence (we call them oda-vissza), the others run around in circles (kör forgalom) ...

The funny side is:
I always have some dog treats with me (actually it's just the Darling dry dog feed, around 400HUF a kilo, not too expensive ...) and I offer them some bites through the fence - some took it immediately, with others it took some time (of course we ask the owners first if it's ok).
So now I have a lot of dog friends that are waiting for us when we walk by - some of them still bark at other people, but we're friends and hey gret us and our dog.
So obviously it's often the training that the dogs get - or rather don't get here in Hungary.

PS:
Many dogs are afraid of the noise of the fireworks. Some manage to run away - every year on Jan 1st and 2nd you see some homeless, often on the Aldi parking lot looking for people and food ...

Last edited by wolfi; Dec 31st 2015 at 9:18 am.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I don't understand is why people think they need guard dogs in the villages. I rely on nosey neighbours as protection for the frequent times my place is unoccupied and have not had a problem so far. When I viewed my house before buying it there was a dog chained up to its kennel in the garden and yet the seller was only living more or less opposite the house.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Fidobsa, you're 100% correct - it really is silly! Often people have two (or even more dogs) - thy bark so much that nobody cares any more ...
The old principle: Cry wolf ...
To my wife this seems just a relic from the old times ...
Old Jan 1st 2016, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on Fid and Wolfi, I live in town next to the nosiest neighbour possible who misses nothing.
But she has a dog and so do all the other neighbours, and if one starts barking they all join in. Don't know why but they all hate the person who delivers the free papers and circulars even though they are regular twice every week, yet none of them bark for the post or rubbish collectors.

Much more peaceful with my two cats, they struggle to stay awake long enough to eat.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

To be perfectly honest, had we known about the way some dogs are treated in rural areas in Hungary - we would never have moved here.

Fortunately we live near to some woods where we walk our dog, and have a big garden too.

I just don't understand why you would keep a dog on a chain as a guard dog, they all bark all the time anyway...perhaps there is some form of reverse psychology going on...i.e. the warning sign is when the dogs are NOT barking

Also, as well as being stuck on a chain the diet some of these dogs get fed is appalling...stale bits or bread and very low quality dried food...if they are lucky.

Although I think the new law is a step in the right direction, and as others have pointed out, having a law and enforcing it is an entirely different thing...there would need to a a huge sea change for dogs to be seen as loving members of the family...as opposed to an object...before things begin to change for the better in Hungary.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

To be perfectly honest, had we known about the way some dogs are treated in rural areas in Hungary - we would never have moved here.
It was certainly a factor in my decision to move 80km to the other side of the border and live in Croatia. There are a few dogs chained up there too but it is much less widespread than in Hungary. People in Croatia seem generally more laid back and less stressed.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It was certainly a factor in my decision to move 80km to the other side of the border and live in Croatia. There are a few dogs chained up there too but it is much less widespread than in Hungary. People in Croatia seem generally more laid back and less stressed.
How's it all going there? The other thing is that dogs are vaccinated yearly in Hungary for rabies, I think in Croatia it is the same as the EU...i.e. the booster lasts 3 years. Do you know what the regs are there? :-)
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Although I think the new law is a step in the right direction, and as others have pointed out, having a law and enforcing it is an entirely different thing...there would need to a a huge sea change for dogs to be seen as loving members of the family...as opposed to an object...before things begin to change for the better in Hungary.
As was said above many people keep dogs as theoretical guard dogs as part of the historical baggage. Theoretical because they think that having a dog on a chain that barks continuously at anything that moves is a guard dog. They don't seem to realise that to be a guard dog the animal needs training!! Certain breeds (e.g. Kuvasz) are known to become aggressive when tied up.

The giving of 'treats' to your neighbours dog has its darker side. Unfortunately a sometimes used solution to a continuously barking dog is to give it a 'treat' of a piece of bread or sausage with a couple of pins embedded in it. The pins pierce the gut - death apparently is about 3 days! There are regulations that are supposed to control dog problems however I have heard a council official, when receiving a complaint about a continuously barking dog, say "what do you expect, that's what dogs are supposed to do".

We have a dog, it is not a loving member of the family, we also have cats, usually 3 - 4 to keep the mice population in check, we also have a couple of horses, and then there are the rabbits, chicken, ducks, geese and cows. Some of these animals we eat others we don't. All our animals live outside. Our dog ranks with the horses and functions as a farm dog (as much as any Lab can be a farm dog)

The point is that different people see / use animals in different ways. And yes I would agree that dogs should not be tied up 24/7, this new law provides for minimum compound areas (cages?) for different sized dogs so I can see people getting concrete reinforcing mesh and making a cage in which to put the dog 24/7 - or a lot of dogs being put down. I can also see a few more strays as dogs are kicked out, but this is more difficult as most dogs now have chips and are traceable.

I guess the next few months to a year will see how much difference this new law makes, although this law without the education will IMO fail. By the way it is not just about keeping dogs on chains, contained within the law are new penalties for unnecessarily killing a dog, how Siamese fighting fish may be kept and other animal welfare regulations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.