Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dog Passports & the UK border

Dog Passports & the UK border

Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:21 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog Passports & the UK border

I want to buy a dog in Hungary but bring it backwards & forwards to the UK. Does anyone out there do this & can you advise on the bureaucracy, especially at the UK border?

I understand from friends who are based in the UK that every time they take their UK dog to Europe they must have the dog injected 12 hours before they try to get back into the UK. The French Vets make a fortune, charging 50 euros a go.

I wonder are Hungarian dog passports valid to get the animal backwards & forwards into & out of the UK?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Passports & the UK border

What is the dog injected for? Rabies? See below:
https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...nd-territories
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:38 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What is the dog injected for? Rabies? See below:
https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...nd-territories
I think they said some sort of tape worm
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:49 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

No problem with Hungarian passports, you have 5 days from when the worming treatment is given so no need to get it done in France though you must wait 24 hours after the treatment is administered.
Rabies vaccination must be up to date and the expiry date entered in the passport - also ensue the vet enters the make and batch number of the vaccine.
We use the tunnel as it's less stressful and Mr RH said it was extremely easy and quick.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:16 pm
Veszprém Megye

Thanks 4 that - looks like following some simple rules & all will be ok at Calais - agree about the Chunnel
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:33 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, I was somewhat concerned but the vet in Nagy did everything from microchip to vaccinations and worming tablets - the price was ridiculously affordable, something like £50 for everything though I can't remember exactly.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken my two dogs and cat twice to the UK and back. We took the Eurotunnel on the way there and the ferry on the way back. You should be aware that when you get Calais, prior to getting on the train you have to take your dogs and cat through the UK Border Control to have their microchips and Pet Passport checked - something you don't have to do on the way back. My lot travel well and enjoy staying in hotels where they're usually terribly spoilt by everyone that meets them!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Hotels? Do you mean normal hotels or pet hotels? This has been my biggest worry for my next trip to UK. I thought I would end up taking a tent and doing the overnight rest stops at campsites because dogs would not be allowed in hotels or B&Bs.
I got an international passport for my dog and got his annual rabies jab done but there is a question mark over his microchip, which is a USA one and in a different location to the European ones. The vet was not sure if it would be valid for entry into UK.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Hotels? Do you mean normal hotels or pet hotels? This has been my biggest worry for my next trip to UK. I thought I would end up taking a tent and doing the overnight rest stops at campsites because dogs would not be allowed in hotels or B&Bs.
I got an international passport for my dog and got his annual rabies jab done but there is a question mark over his microchip, which is a USA one and in a different location to the European ones. The vet was not sure if it would be valid for entry into UK.
I can't help with the microchip issue but you won't have a problem with your dog in most hotels.

We travelled many times between Hungary and the UK - and have had a lot of European driving holidays - with the dog in tow and never had a problem at all.

Of course not all hotels allow them to stay but a significant proportion do, just make sure they accept them and establish the charges (some hotels will charge a lot but others are free) before you turn up.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at both normal and pet friendly hotels without any problems, but if you're worried there a good site called BringFido which has lists of pet friendly hotels all over Europe. We found it easier to stay in motorway motels where we could leave the car in front of the bedroom door, mainly because it was easier to unpack/pack all the bits and pieces you need when travelling with 2 dogs and a cat in a crate!

I don't see why there should be a problem with a USA microchip. The UK Border Control at Calais only check the microchip number against the Pet Passport which also has your name on it as the dog's owner.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

PRIMO is an unknown quantity at this point

John your dog is more than safe to travel to UK from Hungary with Hungarian passport, As long as everything is done correct by a vet, I would like to say in some parts of the pet passport there is times that have to be filled in as well as the date just make sure everything is done, If it is not done correct when you get to the boarder they will refuse your dog entry and you will have to pay again for a vet to do the passport correct !!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I just tried to book a ferry crossing with DFDS but was gobsmacked to find that the fare is more than double if I take a dog with me. There is a chance that I might be leaving Charlie with some people in France instead of taking him to UK, so I don't know what to book. Are there any channel crossings where the dog travels for free? Alternatively, I suppose I could just make the booking for the car and myself then pay the extra fare at the port if I do have Charlie in the car.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I just tried to book a ferry crossing with DFDS but was gobsmacked to find that the fare is more than double if I take a dog with me. There is a chance that I might be leaving Charlie with some people in France instead of taking him to UK, so I don't know what to book. Are there any channel crossings where the dog travels for free? Alternatively, I suppose I could just make the booking for the car and myself then pay the extra fare at the port if I do have Charlie in the car.
We didnt pay extra for our dog last year on the chunnel...or if we did it was negligible. I didn't want to take our dog on a ferry because I understand you have to leave them in the car. Whereas on the chunnel they are with you.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, I did wonder about the tunnel. I didn't know you had to leave the dog in the car on the ferry. That is not very satisfactory as you are not allowed access to the car decks when at sea.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, I did wonder about the tunnel. I didn't know you had to leave the dog in the car on the ferry. That is not very satisfactory as you are not allowed access to the car decks when at sea.
I think that is the case...I am sure someone else on here will confirm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.