Digger47

Old Apr 12th 2018, 2:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Digger47

Originally Posted by GBA77
I only met the man once. That was very recently for 2 1/2 days while we sorted the plumbing stuff out at that new place of his. Top class bloke. Clearly been around the block a good few times and can tell stories that can make you weep and P at the same time.
Yes. I always felt he would be great to know.

Are the hospital giving him any medication.

I do feel that without good funds, it may be hard to repatriate him. From the very little I know , they would have to contact individual airlines for their policies on this.

Ambu-Trans offer free quotes for both air and road.

There does seem to be a possibility to do this by road which may be more suitable for a stroke patient.
Road Ambulance Repatriation Service

I am not sure if Digger47 is eligible for NHS care. I will ping someone in the know.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bevs thanks for that. I have passed that lot and other info onto his daughter to consider.

As you said, the costs involved in any sort of repatriation are massive. As far as I am aware Digger was living full time in the UK and on the NHS for various reasons so there should be no reason why he could not be eligible for NHS care should he be repatriated.

Peter: Straps. Thick plastic looking ones. I am well aware of the Liverpool pathway. I had a wife who was placed on it.

Diggers daughter had the straps removed as it was causing him tremendous distress. Seeing the fellow in the bed next to Diggers, whilst I can understand the reasons why its done, the distress it causes is very clear to see. It does not make nice watching.

As regards current treatment I have no idea.

Peter you may very well be able to assist in something. I will PM you if thats ok?
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

GBA77 - I've sent you a PM
Peter
Old Apr 12th 2018, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Cheers for that. I have replied.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone know the workings of the EHIC?

Just received a text message now that apparently Diggers family have to start paying for his treatment soon as he only gets 2 weeks free treatment on the EHIC.

I found this link:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...inHungary.aspx

There is no mention of 2 weeks anywhere but I may have missed something.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

FFS. Repatriations costs just came in. Around £20,000. Not as much as I thought it would be tbh but................
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the hospital have got it wrong!
From https://www.e111.org.uk/about.html
The EHIC is normally valid for three to five years and covers any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, because of either illness or an accident. The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only, and you'll be treated on the same basis as an 'insured' person living in the country you're visiting. Remember, this might not cover all the things you'd expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.

And

It allows you to be treated on the same basis as a resident of the country you are visiting i.e. you may have to pay a patient contribution (also known as a co-payment). You may be able to seek reimbursement for this when you are back in the UK if you are not able to do so in the other country (and limited to the equivalent cost on the NHS).

end quote

the key statement IMO is
The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only, and you'll be treated on the same basis as an 'insured' person living in the country you're visiting.
And Hungarians don't have to pay after 2 weeks.

Also healthcare provided under the EHIC is cross charged to the home country. (complaints are made in the UK about this because the NHS is notoriously bad at reclaiming this money (millions a year apparently))
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

An EHIC is only valid for someone visiting another EU/EEA country. If Digger was resident in Hungary then he would've needed to arrange to be covered by the Hungarian system.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

From https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...countries.aspx

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free, on the same basis as a resident of that country.

Again quoted "on the same basis as a resident of that country."

If his EHIC was issued by the UK then it should be valid for Hungary

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Apr 12th 2018 at 12:53 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBA77
Anyone know the workings of the EHIC?

Just received a text message now that apparently Diggers family have to start paying for his treatment soon as he only gets 2 weeks free treatment on the EHIC.

I found this link:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...inHungary.aspx

There is no mention of 2 weeks anywhere but I may have missed something.
I can't see anything about 2 weeks either.

Under Health Services and Costs on the link you gave, it does mention being careful that you're not being treated as a private patient:

Hospital treatment
Just like in the UK, you'll need to be referred by a doctor for any hospital treatment. Make sure you are referred to a public hospital, as only these provide treatment free of charge. Even in a public hospital, ensure you have a valid EHIC and double-check you are not treated as a private patient.
During your stay in hospital, operations, diagnostic tests and medicines are provided free of charge.

Might pay for Digger's family to check that he's in a public hospital and being treated as a public patient, not private.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 12:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
From https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...countries.aspx

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free, on the same basis as a resident of that country.

Again quoted "on the same basis as a resident of that country."
If a UK resident visiting Hungary becomes ill then their UK-issued EHIC would cover them on the same basis as if they were a Hungarian resident. If Digger was resident in Hungary then his UK-issued EHIC becomes null and void.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

It could depend upon whether Digger is a pensioner.
From https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm
As a pensioner
If you do not receive a pension or any other income from the country where you live: you belong to the healthcare insurance system of the country where you were insured for the longest period of time.

This problem could get messy! more info needed.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
It could depend upon whether Digger is a pensioner.
From https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm
As a pensioner
If you do not receive a pension or any other income from the country where you live: you belong to the healthcare insurance system of the country where you were insured for the longest period of time.

This problem could get messy! more info needed.
If he was drawing a UK state pension and had Form S1 in place then he would be covered by that.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

I look into the Hungary forum now and then as we did consider Hungary as 2nd home. Sorry to read about Digger although I don't know him. I've had experience with Austrian post stroke treatment which was excellent. Would it be possible to bring Digger to Austria if treatment could be covered under EHIC?
Trip to Austria would be less stressful and much cheaper. Once he is in a more stable condition he may be able to be taken back to UK by normal transport. Just a thought. All the best to Digger.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all.

Digger is a UK resident. He has a house there. He does not live full time in Hungary. He is on the NHS for various treatments etc. He also gets medication through the NHS. He is visiting Hungary and was/is due to return back to his home later this month. As far as I am aware he arrived in Hungary the back end of February/beginning March. He also receives various disability this and thats. I don't know all the ins and outs.

Peter. Any idea where I can get the Hungarian copy of the link? It may be a case of having to show the relevant person where there are going wrong. In the nicest possible way of course for obvious reasons.

Spouse of scouse. Thanks for that. I will suggest to Diggers daughter to check on the private vis a vis pleb hospital aspect you pointed out.

Jeez I have not had choir practice for a while. Thats not righteous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.