Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dare I mention it...

Dare I mention it...

Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dare I mention it...

Originally Posted by jetsam1
There's always Palinka....... :-)
I second this
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still allowed to brew your fifty liters of pálinka (per person ...) tax-free?

Think that's enough?

Food for thought:
Theresa May will not remain in power long as Brexit cripples her government, while Donald Trump is a “would-be dictator” who is “going to fail”, the billionaire investor George Soros has told the Davos world economic forum
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/20/george-soros-theresa-may-wont-last-and-donald-trump-is-would-be-dictator
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you need to buy some stamps from the local Posta and then you are on your way! This is to cover tax, still cheap though.

Bauhaus etc still sell home Palinka distillation kits so I think it will be fine.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK will be Removed and Watt is going to it after Brit-ex
Changes in European inheritance from 15 August 2015 will this mean any EU Country readjustment to Watt they think is Fair Conditions to gain moor Money digger47
Old Jan 20th 2017, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting opinion piece from British IT rag The Register on May's plans - or not:
Why Theresa May’s hard Brexit might be softer than you think • The Register
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to be positive but it is starting to look ever more concerning with talk of reprisals over the UKs government refusal to even acknowledge some form of security for EU citizens living in the UK.

Anyone else considering starting to speak to lawyers or emailing the Hungarian government to try and see what the policy direction may be? There may be relatively few UK citizens living here so they will either treat us as an irrelevance and badly or as an irrelevance and be fine with us staying put.

I have two small children both of whom are Hungarian citizens and if anything happens with me I will guarentee my wife will have bother returning to the UK as we all know how non-EU spouses are treated at the moment despite the potential mahoosive backlog I will expect once A50 is actually implemented. It will be funny as she has enough NI payments to qualify for the basic state pension and we got married in Yorkshire!!

We are carrying on as we were but having to look at pushing a few things forward such as selling my house in England as I will presume the Hungarian authorities will count money in the bank towards residency as they don't count income from abroad i.e. a rent. Either way I won't be living there again.

I have to hope being an Ostermelo is enough. Through vandalism and me losing a year to major surgery we have barely started so only have two and a bit years. That will get me to 5 years resident though.

What were the requirements for residency in Hungary prior to them joining the EU? That might give some clues as to where they might go? I am mainly getting jumpy for the kids, the youngest is only eight months....
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jetsam, you shouldn't worry too much!

I'm sure there will be a solution for you and your family - in the end Hungary will (have to ...) give in, because they need the money from the EU and the UK is not a "foreign country".

Again a bit OT:
Switzerland just had a referendum on immigrants and the majority agreed on making it easier for dependants (grandchildren) of immigrants - we Europeans are not heartless idiots!
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I think you are right about getting rid of foreigners and with that the migration issues. The nonsense IMO is that whilst much was said about EU migration - non-EU migration is actually slightly higher than EU migration (2016).

And the recent UK headline about a woman coming to the UK and leaving a 350,000GBP bill for NHS care having given birth to twins came from Nigeria!! For entry in to the US you have to show adequate medical cover otherwise you will be denied entry - Why does the UK not have similar rules.

Nothing was (has been) done by the UK to mitigate the perceived problems by imposing creative laws within the legal framework, like Hungary did with the land laws (The EU does not like it but it is legal) Similar attitudes should have been taken in the UK e.g. give child allowance to the child - who has to be in the UK, OK if a UK child goes to live abroad the allowance is lost. but it would stop one of the gripes of an EU worker claiming child allowance when the child is not also in the UK e.g. still in Eastern Europe.

Laws have to apply to EU citizens the same as they apply to UK citizens (anti discrimination regs.), but it seems to be beyond the wit of the UK politicians to be creative with the regulations to solve problems.
I assumed that anybody applying for a visa to visit any EU country is required to show medical cover?
Or does this only apply to Schengen?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
I assumed that anybody applying for a visa to visit any EU country is required to show medical cover?
Or does this only apply to Schengen?
Thairetired2106;
Yes any one whom is Traveling into a Schengen Country out side the EU Country,UK residents, Not at Present Time, But This May Be after BRIT-EX??, Must have Medical Insurance cover, my Fiancee is traveling in to Hungary from Kiev and all so when in UK she will have to re-apply at each Visa ending time to re-enter a Schengen Country. digger47
Old Feb 14th 2017, 7:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Either way I won't be living [in England] again.
If you've already made the decision not to return to the UK, why not aim to become a Hungarian citizen? By the time the UK leaves the EU, you'll have been a resident for the minimum of 5 years required before you can apply.

One thing that can never hurt is working on your Hungarian.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Watchpost
If you've already made the decision not to return to the UK, why not aim to become a Hungarian citizen? By the time the UK leaves the EU, you'll have been a resident for the minimum of 5 years required before you can apply.

One thing that can never hurt is working on your Hungarian.
If I HAVE to go back it will be back to Scotland, probably on my own if May has her way and if previous behaviour is a guide to the future. Being Scottish I will be fine if independence happens as will my family as an independent Scotland is likely to be much more welcoming. I simply don't see any future going back to the North of England where I largely grew up as before I left there where no decent jobs and I will presume that that is still the case. I have two degrees in geology and am not working in a call centre!!! If I had stayed where I was in my previous career I would have been moving anyway. I just made the wrong decision not to retrain as a joiner or a plumber and go for a Msc!!

Just bought new hives to bring us up to 80 this year and that counts as full time self employed apparently so will see what develops.

I certainly have one eye on dual nationality and really I must find a new teacher for Hungarian, though not so easy it seems outside Budapest......
Old Feb 15th 2017, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to be positive but it is starting to look ever more concerning with talk of reprisals over the UKs government refusal to even acknowledge some form of security for EU citizens living in the UK.

Anyone else considering starting to speak to lawyers or emailing the Hungarian government to try and see what the policy direction may be? There may be relatively few UK citizens living here so they will either treat us as an irrelevance and badly or as an irrelevance and be fine with us staying put.

I have two small children both of whom are Hungarian citizens and if anything happens with me I will guarentee my wife will have bother returning to the UK as we all know how non-EU spouses are treated at the moment despite the potential mahoosive backlog I will expect once A50 is actually implemented. It will be funny as she has enough NI payments to qualify for the basic state pension and we got married in Yorkshire!!

We are carrying on as we were but having to look at pushing a few things forward such as selling my house in England as I will presume the Hungarian authorities will count money in the bank towards residency as they don't count income from abroad i.e. a rent. Either way I won't be living there again.

I have to hope being an Ostermelo is enough. Through vandalism and me losing a year to major surgery we have barely started so only have two and a bit years. That will get me to 5 years resident though.

What were the requirements for residency in Hungary prior to them joining the EU? That might give some clues as to where they might go? I am mainly getting jumpy for the kids, the youngest is only eight months....
The requirements for residency before Hungary joined the EU was the system I entered under. I have a Hungarian wife and 2 kids all dual nationals. (Kids born in UK and also registered at the Hungarian Embassy in London? my wife a dual national as a result of 1956) I got my permission whilst still in England as we did not want to come here to find that I was 'not welcome'. My wife came back as a 'returning national' and as I was married to her I applied for and got (via the Hungarian embassy) settler status. This status gives me the right to stay, to work, to pay taxes(?) to vote in local elections, to stand for local council office/mayor and to buy land. I can't vote in national elections or become an MP. For this I have a green ID card. As I said it was all done and dusted before we came here but I don't know if this status still exists.

If you are an Ostermelo and you show income via this by the time you are eligible for residency you should be able to show income. Income as an Ostermelo is easy to show as you just need some samala with the names and addresses of the purchaser and a whole bunch of Nyugta which are essentially like till receipts and are usually without names and addresses so not back traceable. You my also find it advantageous to become a 'family farm' which combines all the agrictural income for the family and multiplies up the tax allowances and also has bureaucratic advantages with grants and land purchase.

In your position I would be looking to hang on to the UK property if it is rentable as the rent income is usually a disproportionate amount compared to Hungarian incomes, even after any agents fees. Rental income is taxed in the UK for which you get your personal tax allowance to mitigate UK income tax and this does not have to be declared in Hungary, (so says my (Hungarian) accountant about my rental income!)
Old Feb 15th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
In your position I would be looking to hang on to the UK property if it is rentable as the rent income is usually a disproportionate amount compared to Hungarian incomes, even after any agents fees. Rental income is taxed in the UK for which you get your personal tax allowance to mitigate UK income tax and this does not have to be declared in Hungary, (so says my (Hungarian) accountant about my rental income!)
A good point but I think you have to weigh up whether you are prepared for the hassle if a tenant defaults on paying the rent. You would have to keep flying back and forth to attend court to get the tenant out. Not only will you lose rent but probably have to refurbish the whole property because the tenant had ripped out everything.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I have to hope being an Ostermelo is enough. ..
Oh and don't forget that as an Ostermelo you have to get your Ostermelo card validated annually at the Falugazdász office so that you can get your card on which to enter sales. This I believe has top be done before some time in March
Old Feb 15th 2017, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FenTiger
A good point but I think you have to weigh up whether you are prepared for the hassle if a tenant defaults on paying the rent. You would have to keep flying back and forth to attend court to get the tenant out. Not only will you lose rent but probably have to refurbish the whole property because the tenant had ripped out everything.
Never intended to be a landlord. My plan would be to sell what I have as it is a big detached family building and if I didn't have friends in there it probably wouldn't be worth renting out. I will buy something smaller and cheaper in Scotland to rent out and use the difference on the business and a house here. ANd keep plenty in the bank. I think the trick is to really research your letting agent. Don't use one currently but it depends on the property type, rental level and area.

Just got my new Ostermelo card the other week. Will be keeping abreast of what changes.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.