Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dare I mention it...

Dare I mention it...

Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dare I mention it...

Originally Posted by wolfi
Is this true?

Another "unintended consequence" of hard Brexit?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ain-healthcare
Quite possibly. It's all based on reciprocation (EU allows the NHS to fund their healthcare) and if they don't have the local national health insurance (which if they are retired and not working they won't) then they will lose access to free haelthcare. As they are pensioners they might find private health insurance rather expensive.... But as a hard brexit appears on the cards the NHS is doomed anyway so everyone needs to get used to that rather expensive private health......

I have my Hungarian National Insurance (Taj Kartya) as I am of working age and paying all my dues in Hungary so I don't have to rely on anything from the NHS. Indeed if I get my EHIC card it will be supplied from the Hungarian authorities. Which is actually quite a relief!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Indeed if I get my EHIC card it will be supplied from the Hungarian authorities. Which is actually quite a relief!
Yes, but will it be of any value if you return to the UK for any reason? Or will you need to buy (expensive) short term health insurance.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Yes, but will it be of any value if you return to the UK for any reason? Or will you need to buy (expensive) short term health insurance.
As a citizen I will be eligible to go straight back onto the NHS if I have to return permanently. Otherwise I have two years or so of the EHIC and after that will need the insurance but just for the time spent in the UK. But that is likely to be much less going forward I think.

I suppose it will complicate matters but as we are unlikely to have the time or be able to afford much travel for the next decade or so it may well be a moot point!

We are in the UK right now had a week in Scotland and are now in Yorkshire and I am becoming more convinced that at least personally I made the right decision to go elsewhere even though Hungary can be hard and it will take us a lot longer than we thought to get to the position we want to be in.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Peter is not wrong in his words, Every one whom is in a EU Country has 2 years to sort out many things to continue to live within their chosen EU Country, Health Care should be the Top Priority, but look in the Small Print, do's the Country you intend to live in, Cover any Medical Condition you have at Present, before arriving their?. In my case not, so now even Traveling to my place is restricted? Because the Doctors are only allowed to give Medication for 28 day cover,If you intend to Live in a EU Country you will find out further Pitfalls living out of UK as time go's forward in the next 2 years,I could continue explaining who at present relocating back to UK as Been, but not wishing to be to Pessimistic digger47
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by digger47
Peter is not wrong in his words, Every one whom is in a EU Country has 2 years to sort out many things to continue to live within their chosen EU Country, Health Care should be the Top Priority, but look in the Small Print, do's the Country you intend to live in, Cover any Medical Condition you have at Present, before arriving their?. In my case not, so now even Traveling to my place is restricted? Because the Doctors are only allowed to give Medication for 28 day cover,If you intend to Live in a EU Country you will find out further Pitfalls living out of UK as time go's forward in the next 2 years,I could continue explaining who at present relocating back to UK as Been, but not wishing to be to Pessimistic digger47
I think there is going to be a big divide between those who are on pensions or living on income derived from the UK from other means and those who are earning income within the EU and paying local taxes etc. I have a Taj Kartya and pay Hungarian National Insurance and so I have full entitlement under the Hungarian system. And I did have major surgery last year on it. I suppose technically that could have been classed as a prior condition.

What I hope is that the grown ups come in and conduct negotiations and a sensible deal is sorted out. My worry is that the likes of Johnson is already insulting other governments (his recent little "outburst" which sums him up to be honest) and the UK will simply run out of goodwill. Or it breaks up before negotioations are even complete. There is a bit too much arrogance floating around for my liking and the atmosphere here is not especially pleasant.

I think my main area of concern is how the Hungarian government will treat UK citizens post-Brexit. Hopefully I will be ok as both my children are Hungarian citizens and so is my wife......... I just have two years to get about five years worth of work done which is slightly daunting......
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there is going to be a big divide between those who are on pensions or living on income derived from the UK from other means and those who are earning income within the EU and paying local taxes etc. I have a Taj Kartya and pay Hungarian National Insurance and so I have full entitlement under the Hungarian system. And I did have major surgery last year on it. I suppose technically that could have been classed as a prior condition.

What I hope is that the grown ups come in and conduct negotiations and a sensible deal is sorted out. My worry is that the likes of Johnson is already insulting other governments (his recent little "outburst" which sums him up to be honest) and the UK will simply run out of goodwill. Or it breaks up before negotioations are even complete. There is a bit too much arrogance floating around for my liking and the atmosphere here is not especially pleasant
I think my main area of concern is how the Hungarian government will treat UK citizens post-Brexit. Hopefully I will be ok as both my children are Hungarian citizens and so is my wife......... I just have two years to get about five years worth of work done which is slightly daunting......
I welcome commitments from jetsam: but wish to open two further points, first many of us OAP's have Life insurance Polices for payment to be maid on Death, can only be paid OUT if residing in UK, I have clarified this in the last few Days with my Life Insurance comp.So if your totally in Life and Commitment is intending to be out of UK then you would probably start think a bought some way of saving for that final ending in Life "Death" digger47
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Digger's comments about life assurance worry me. Being very naive when I bought my first property I opted for endowment mortgage. Massive mistake but currently on target to meet mortgage debt. I will have to check my policy. Would have thought any UK policy would be EU wide.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah life insurance. I can imagine there would be issues. I think we were talking about different things! Outside of simple cremation the only other way I'd like is a Viking longship funeral pyre. Would be vicarious fun but fun none the less.

I think most of my generation will be inured to the prospect that retirement or a pension is the impossible dream............ I will probably be dead before I get to retire. I am not expecting the statepension to even exist perhaps in another 35 to 40 years. And private pensions have shown themselves untrustworthy and riven with mis selling and financial impropriety.

I am terrified of things like mortgages!
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Digger's comments about life assurance worry me. Being very naive when I bought my first property I opted for endorsing mortgage. Massive mistake but currently on target to meet mortgage debt. I will have to check my policy. Would have thought any UK policy would be EU wide.
I agree No.1 is health, my wife still has Hungarian passport so she will probably be able to get healthcare easily but myself .... alot of question marks ..... anyway we're still in UK so hopefully any serious ailments come up before we move to Hungary.

My wife being Hungarian passport holder means we shouldn't have any issues purchasing property, etc. Just got to make her joint bank account holder which I have avoided due to her ex-husband's debts!!!!!!

Astonishingly my wife's ex-husband despite being unemployed for last 20 years has been able to bring to UK his new wife from Mongolia!!!!!!!!!!!! She left behind a 10 year old kid and since had another child on national health!!!!!
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree No.1 is health, my wife still has Hungarian passport so she will probably be able to get healthcare easily but myself .... alot of question marks ..... anyway we're still in UK so hopefully any serious ailments come up before we move to Hungary.

My wife being Hungarian passport holder means we shouldn't have any issues purchasing property, etc. Just got to make her joint bank account holder which I have avoided due to her ex-husband's debts!!!!!!

Astonishingly my wife's ex-husband despite being unemployed for last 20 years has been able to bring to UK his new wife from Mongolia!!!!!!!!!!!! She left behind a 10 year old kid and since had another child on national health!!!!!
FenTger commitments are very true, and today I am more active than in the past, but have some responses to comment,Property mine in my name under Purchasing under Zartkert Land it's bean reclassified to Weekend and Holiday Home and being over 70 years young no Local Tax payments.
This year will be their only for 4 weeks at a time saddle. digger47
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah life insurance. I can imagine there would be issues. I think we were talking about different things! Outside of simple cremation the only other way I'd like is a Viking longship funeral pyre. Would be vicarious fun but fun none the less.

I think most of my generation will be inured to the prospect that retirement or a pension is the impossible dream............ I will probably be dead before I get to retire. I am not expecting the statepension to even exist perhaps in another 35 to 40 years. And private pensions have shown themselves untrustworthy and riven with mis selling and financial impropriety.

I can understand where you're coming from. My wife's ex-husband persuaded her to take out life assurance and private pension. He didn't bother to keep up his own commitments and emigrated to USA. One reason we have yet to move to Hungary is because of my wife's financial commitments. They would take out a huge chunk of any early retirement pension I got. The end result is a really tiny pension for my wife!!!! I think she's paid in far more than she will get out of it!!! You just cannot trust any private pension provider.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Digger's comments about life assurance worry me. Being very naive when I bought my first property I opted for endowment mortgage. Massive mistake but currently on target to meet mortgage debt. I will have to check my policy. Would have thought any UK policy would be EU wide.
Be Careful FenTiger contacting Your Endowment Mortgage provider if are in UK no problems from Hungary be Careful incoming calls will show Wear You Location is. This all so relevant to Phoning any Government Departments say DHS&S, I am all so think that sooner or later your Passport Number will used to inform different UK Agencies digger47
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

The funny side of it?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

There's always Palinka....... :-)
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam, When I moved from UK only limited funds and only had one thing in Mind "The Good Life" I had 1800 m2 Land 35 m2 accommodation growing ever think for the Daily Food Table Apple in to Cider Grapes into Wine No rules and regulations did watt i wanted and when i wanted Yes I miss That I Did not Care a bought Dying but Di not want to their "When I Dying" no in Uk watting digger47

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.