Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dare I mention it...

Dare I mention it...

Old Jan 14th 2017, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dare I mention it...

Has the British government gone crazy?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-after-brexit
If they continue like this - expect "revenge" from the EU ...
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Don Lugosi is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like fearmongering.
To me the financial market will almost dictate what happens, neither the U.K. or the EU can afford the markets to go crazy. The question is, how much can you rock the boat without things going wrong?
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Find out on Tuesday when Ms May makes her speech !!!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is more and more apparent that it is all about getting rid of foreigners really. If it is going to be a Hard Brexit the economic fall out will be pretty big.....

Fear mongering would be an appropriate response if it wasn't the lunatic fringe of the Tory party currently in charge! It's a shame as I am now planning to finally sell up in the next two years or so in the UK and walk away finally and for good. I don't want to mess up my tenants but sooner rather than later may be the best option.

I was wondering about doing my 9 month old's UK citizenship (not simple and will cost around £1000) and am really wondering whether it'll be worth it. Considering we may see Scottish independance soon anyway!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are right about getting rid of foreigners and with that the migration issues. The nonsense IMO is that whilst much was said about EU migration - non-EU migration is actually slightly higher than EU migration (2016).

And the recent UK headline about a woman coming to the UK and leaving a 350,000GBP bill for NHS care having given birth to twins came from Nigeria!! For entry in to the US you have to show adequate medical cover otherwise you will be denied entry - Why does the UK not have similar rules.

Nothing was (has been) done by the UK to mitigate the perceived problems by imposing creative laws within the legal framework, like Hungary did with the land laws (The EU does not like it but it is legal) Similar attitudes should have been taken in the UK e.g. give child allowance to the child - who has to be in the UK, OK if a UK child goes to live abroad the allowance is lost. but it would stop one of the gripes of an EU worker claiming child allowance when the child is not also in the UK e.g. still in Eastern Europe.

Laws have to apply to EU citizens the same as they apply to UK citizens (anti discrimination regs.), but it seems to be beyond the wit of the UK politicians to be creative with the regulations to solve problems.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Nigeria was British once - and many (most?) of the immigrants in Britain are from the former colonies - just as many of the problems that the French have stem from those immigrants from their former colonies in North Africa ...

Imho Britain needs the workers from Eastern Europe just like Germany, Switzerland etc - the essential question is how to regard them: As permanent immigrants or as "guest workers" which will go home after a few years.

Generally I find it very sad that Europe seems on its way back to the bad old times of Nationalism - I just hope that we don't return to those wars that we had in every generation over many centuries!

I had really hoped for a United States of Europe - but it seems that was just a silly dream ...
Old Jan 17th 2017, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There are "de facto" bo5rder controls already. Photo ID (Passport or driving licence) is required of all travellers between NI and GB.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my friends aren't on speaking terms with the neighbours any more in Yorkshire.

The demographics of Brexit will be very different in 10 years time.

Every problem cited is purely a political decision taken by British governments and has nothing to do with the EU.

It's a joke really.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

I feel sometimes I must try and appear Scottish.

Én Skót vagyok, nem Angol vagyok. Sajnalom, nem Magyar vagyok.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Don Lugosi is an unknown quantity at this point

I was trying to feel optimistic about a decent Brexit outcome, but after reading the latest news it has quickly evaporated.
The U.K. has a right to control migration and they need to make changes especially on non-EU migrants, but I guess us normal folks are going to get the backlash!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Stegy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jetsam1
I feel sometimes I must try and appear Scottish.

Én Skót vagyok, nem Angol vagyok. Sajnalom, nem Magyar vagyok.
I know how you feel.

I know there are a lot of Scots who voted to stay part of the so called 'United Kingdom' in the 2014 referendum who would now vote for separatism without any qualms. Hopefully a second referendum will be possible in the near future and im sure Scotland to will vote overwhelmingly for independence and also to remain part of Europe while distancing itself from the present English tory regime.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's amazing how things change around. I have become a Scottish independence supporter as the Westminster government's behaviour has been disgraceful. Being Scottish I would be automatically eligible for citizenship under the proposed rules on independence and so would my children.

I am really hoping I will be ok in Hungary as hopefully I have enough connections to the country to be allowed to stay.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Those darned Scots!
Scottish expats help homeless, refugees in Hungary | The Budapest Business Journal on the web | bbj.hu

Congratulations for a job well done!
Wait a moment ...
U.K. Ambassador to Hungary Iain Lindsay OBE and his wife Bridget also joined to help make and distribute the meals.
Caledonia is reported to be distributing 250-300 portions per night. One of the nights was backed by Tesco Budapest, according to reports, which provided ingredients as a way of sponsoring the initiative, which is expected to last as long as the weather stays extremely cold.
Thanks for your human kindness!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolfi
Those darned Scots!
Scottish expats help homeless, refugees in Hungary | The Budapest Business Journal on the web | bbj.hu

Congratulations for a job well done!
Wait a moment ...

Thanks for your human kindness!
I follow them on FB and yeah they have done a lot of cooking!

This is the kind of thing I like to see, in general, and that there are expats who get involved with the community and are prepared to help out.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is this true?

Another "unintended consequence" of hard Brexit?
Hundreds of thousands of elderly Britons living in Europe may be forced to return to the UK unless the government guarantees that their healthcare will continue to be reimbursed by the NHS, campaigners for British people settled in Spain and France have warned.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ain-healthcare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.