Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Dare I mention it...

Dare I mention it...

Old Jan 6th 2017, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dare I mention it...

Peter
Anyone born in Ireland - North or South - can have an Irish passport.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but not a British one - which is relevant to a southern Irish national working / living in the UK post brexit.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Peter - that's one part of the guy's problem!

The other part of course is: Will the bank stay in London, do a downsize or even move its operations to some other country?

How will that affect his job?

I read the Guardian online and the news from British politics is hair raising!

PS and rather OT:

I still remember when I came to London the first time as a student in 1965 and was horrified by the London newspapers aka the yellow press (Sun, Daily Mail, Express, you name them ...). The Times was extremely boring and the only paper worth reading imho was the "Manchester Guardian" ...

PPS:

My nephew works for some government institution - his knowledge of German (the children were raised bilingual) might help him in his career - maybe...

Last edited by wolfi; Jan 6th 2017 at 7:56 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

If this passes - what will be the reaction of the EU? ...
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...obert-goodwill
Old Jan 11th 2017, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The unemployment rate in the UK is currently quoted as 5.4%. The Guardian article quotes "EU nationals account for 15% of the current UK workforce." So IMO the 1000 pound levy per EU national worker amounts to a pay role tax. When are the fools going to realise that the migrant workers are needed to keep the economy going.

And apart from the above rant....what will this scheme cost the NHS?? that could not function without its migrant workforce

And the reaction from the EU - tit for tat perhaps - and who will that benefit?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be that the Tories have a CUNNING PLAN that they are not ready to reveal to us plebs yet ?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Could it be that the Tories have a CUNNING PLAN that they are not ready to reveal to us plebs yet ?
Yes. Essentially, they are waiting for the EU to collapse, after which a loose European trading block will be formed which the UK will be happy to join.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

This worst case would mean border controls everywhere again - I remember how horrible it was 30 or 40 years ago travelling to Italy or Yugoslavia in the summer season, hours of waiting ...

And probably Britain wouldn't be among the favoured countries anymore - back to splendid isolation?

They might as well fill up the Chunnel with bricks then - horrible people Maybe and her friends.

PS:
I can't write here what my old friends in London think about the Brexiteers.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

In an article in the Independent I found among other interesting graphics (like who pays how much/gets how much from the EU) this on the number of British expats in different countries:
https://www.graphiq.com/vlp/card?typ...European-Union
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
In an article in the Independent I found among other interesting graphics (like who pays how much/gets how much from the EU) this on the number of British expats in different countries:
https://www.graphiq.com/vlp/card?typ...European-Union
There's alot of Irish passport holders in Uk. Will be interesting to see what happens when we quit EU. Will we get anything from EU?
Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tuesday 17th January the PM Teresa May will be giving further information on Brexit.
Myself until all is clear staying in UK, I have my thoughts on Brexit and reading between the lines, if my thoughts are correct, maybe be a minefield to understand as I sure their will be lots of hurdles to jump over with nothing clear digger47
Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fentiger - the Common Travel Area Agreement between the Republic of Ireland and the UKofGB&NI was drawn up a long time before the EU. Will it continue after Brexit ? Is this all part of the Looneys' "Cunning Plan". watch this space.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
Fentiger - the Common Travel Area Agreement between the Republic of Ireland and the UKofGB&NI was drawn up a long time before the EU. Will it continue after Brexit ? Is this all part of the Looneys' "Cunning Plan". watch this space.
The problem is that if there is no hard border between the Republic of Ireland and NI and the RoI has freedom of movement to the rest of the EU then the back door is open to the UK but neither the RoI nor the UK want any border controls - This is a well known issue but so far I haven't heard of ANY proposed solution, just bland statements that the problem will be solved.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Of course Ireland is an island - so the worst case scnario imho would be that anyone who enters the continent, whether by sea, air or the Chunnel will pass through border control.

But wait - ain't that the procedure right now anyway?

So nothing will change - or might the checks be more intensive in the future, lookups in all kinds of databases, maybe including something like the US ESTA (Canada calls it ETA) where you have to pay 14$ for two years?
Old Jan 13th 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

The point is that anyone who has the right (or visa) to enter the EU can also enter Southern Ireland without restriction and any EU citizen can also enter Ireland without restriction. If there is no border between Northern and Southern Ireland then such people can then enter NI. and so they are in the UK by the back door. The thought of having border controls between NI and the mainland is unthinkable - given the history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.