Cricket pitch

Old Nov 21st 2010, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

andyg73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cricket pitch

Hello
Eight years ago I left England in order to start an organic farm / tourist business in Italy. After a trip around Italy, my partner and I decided to look in Hungary instead. It never worked out (we couldn't find a suitable property, we split up), so I settled into a life as an English teacher and sports coach (football, then cricket) but now I have a similar dream - to make a cricket pitch near Balaton

Finance, location, plans - all depend on each other, so I would love to hear any ideas. My business plan is to bring school groups to play for the first time and host international tournaments (it sounds grander than they really are, as cricket is not very developed in mainland Europe, so all is possible, even on just a patch of grass!).
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cricket pitch

Well that seems like a challenge. Even I dont understand cricket so teaching Hungarians would be interesting
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:12 am
Just Joined

It certainly is! Getting kids to be enthusiastic about hitting a ball with a piece of plastic or wood is not so hard, but taking them further is difficult without nice facilities, hence my desire to have something near Balaton, so they (and adults) can enjoy all the lake has to offer at the same time.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:42 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy, do you speak Hungarian?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi Andy, do you speak Hungarian?
Most cricket is double dutch to me
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:00 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

And believe me, Double Dutch is easier than Hungarian
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Yes, I speak Hungarian, all picked up from here and there and from the BBC Entertainment subtitles (although they are often terrible!). I have even been interviewed on TV in Hungarian talking about cricket So I can coach in Hungarian when necessary and talk to property people in Hungarian, although they often scratch their heads and need me to repeat myself. My wife is Hungarian, so she helps a lot, but I am confident enough to get by.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:32 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by andyg73
Yes, I speak Hungarian, all picked up from here and there .

Oh thats good, otherwise you would have been on a sticky wicket
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:19 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Oh thats good, otherwise you would have been on a sticky wicket
That was so corny it had to be from last years Xmas crackers

Andy, well speaking the language definitely gives you a head start and I would image there shouldn't be too many problems in setting it up.
I am not sure of the ages, nationalities etc of the children you wish to involve but I do know, as I am sure you are also aware, that "summer camps" are very common around the lakeside.

I have a contact in Gyors who arranges camps for children each summer and is particularly interested in ones which also combine the opportunity of speaking and learning English, so perhaps that might be something to consider during the summer. If the cost of lakeside land is prohibitive, perhaps having a chat with the owners of one of the many camps on the lakeside with the possibility of renting land for a pitch (is it called a pitch in cricket?)
There is a camp, south of Siofok, which is mainly for children's groups - I believe it was a scout and girl guide type camp during the communist era. They host football teams, dance troupes etc
It might be worth considering and if it takes off then you could consider investing in your own facilities.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your input. I would love to be put in touch with your contact in Gyors. I met a woman who organises camps at Balatonalmadi and will try to wok with her as well. Residential camps are something I would hope to run myself, but for the first few years bussing in kids from other camps is a much simpler approach.

Although first-time demos are possible on any grass, real cricket demands a real pitch, especially the middle bit where the ball bounces, so having my own pitch and control over it is paramount in order for me to live my dream There is some land near Balatonalmadi which seems to fit the bill, but I need to survey it and sort out the finances.