Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Cornflour sorted : What about Cumin ?

Cornflour sorted : What about Cumin ?

Old May 2nd 2010, 12:04 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cornflour sorted : What about Cumin ?

Cumin : translation : kömény

Usually, I buy my spices in bulk from Spice of India in the UK. However, I always run out of cumin before anything else! So of I traipse to the village shop to buy kömény and return home only to discover that I have in fact bought caraway seeds, which is one spice that I hate and rarely use. On a visit to Tescos I discover édes kömény, "ahh", I think, they must call it sweet cumin in Hungary, I buy a packet, return home and am delighted to find that I have added to my growing collection of caraway seeds. Whilst in Auchan in Budapest, I ask my partner to see if he can find some cumin seeds, leaving him to pay for the shopping whilst I nipped to Ikea, I return to find that he has bought a packet of kömény and édes kömény as he wasn't sure which was cumin, yes, two more packets of caraway seeds.
After much research, I discover that "cumin" as we know it is actually "romai kömény" which I can not find for the life of me.
So has anyone managed to find "cumin" powder and was it called "romai komen" ?

Last edited by Rural Hungary; May 2nd 2010 at 12:16 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 5:52 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cornflour sorted : What about Cumin ?

Just to say thanks to the two forum users who, between them, showered me (not literally) with gifts of cumin, cornflour and coriander ensuring that I will be making curries and shortbread for some time to come:-)
Old May 12th 2010, 7:55 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Now all you have to do is come up with a recipe so you can use all those caraway seeds
Old May 12th 2010, 8:59 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Believe me I have tried but I just can't stand the taste of them in anything
Anyone want some caraway seeds
Old May 12th 2010, 9:02 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Believe me I have tried but I just can't stand the taste of them in anything
Anyone want some caraway seeds
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

lilyflower is an unknown quantity at this point

I have today bought a packet of ground Cumin from Tescos in Pecs!!!! It was in the section with other indian goods...garam masala etc.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:03 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Thanks Lilyflower, will need to check again but last time I looked ours didn't even have an "Indian section" but rather, a few Indian items. I live in hope though
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to look for Romai Komeny if you cannot find imported Indian seeds. I too have bought far too many caraway seeds and I detest them.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:23 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Thanks Stromness

Sorry to read about your negative experience on the other thread. Will email you, hopefully tomorrow. Good luck
Old Jan 26th 2011, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Budapest Brit will become famous soon enoughBudapest Brit will become famous soon enough

Tesco Budaörs also has ground cumin
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:42 am
I bite my thumb at thee

That's handy to know thanks.

Does anyone know where to find sushi supplies? I'm fine for wasabi but could do with some nori, soya pouches ( I wish!) and rice.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Our Tesco store has sushi rice and nori I think. The local "Bio Store" has some too. If you want I could purchase some and you could collect it mid Feb. It is quite expensive of course! If you are ever in Budapest there is a fab Asian market store in the basement of the main market- you can get all sorts of foreign foods from sushi rice to Scottish Marmalade. My kids are so looking forward to May when we can order sushi as a take away online....
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:47 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

That would be great Jo, so long as it doesn't put you out. We have a sushi bar in Keszthely but I am boycotting them at the moment - long story! Besides that, there sushi wasn't terribly good

Online sushi.... now I am jealous. Might have to get directions for the Asian supermarket from you, is it open daily and is there parking nearby?