Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Cooking in Hungary

Cooking in Hungary

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:40 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking in Hungary

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes, apparently death caps only grow under trees, because they need to interact with tree roots. The ones I picked were not under trees. It is a bit scary to read that you don't feel any symptoms for about 2 days though. To be honest, my mushrooms were not that tasty although they did smell good. They had about as much flavour as shop ones.
Thank goodness you replied, was about to phone you to check you had dropped down dead!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Yes, apparently death caps only grow under trees, because they need to interact with tree roots. The ones I picked were not under trees. It is a bit scary to read that you don't feel any symptoms for about 2 days though. To be honest, my mushrooms were not that tasty although they did smell good. They had about as much flavour as shop ones.
Slice fairly thick,dip in raw egg then flour and fry in really hot olive oil after that you will be throwing any meat you may have out for the dog!!If you can find any Parasol mushrooms,usually found on the edge of woodlands,treat the younger ones as above and you are in for a superb treat!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 12:08 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Only time I ever picked and cooked mushrooms was a few years ago, some ink caps to make mushroom soup. Unfortunately, I picked too late and the soup ended up a horrid grey colour which nobody was willing to even try and so the lot of it got thrown out
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

On the way to town this morning I saw dozens of people in the fields picking mushrooms. I suppose here the farmers don't mind, in UK they would be out with their shotguns!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Lots of Parasols in the Forest today,so lunch today will be Parasol Mushrooms dipped in raw egg,then flour and fried with pasta and homemade sauce made from home grown tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 30th 2012, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Earmaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Read the above with interest; I am lactose intolerant, but Tesco sell a lactose free milk with is good as I am rather partial to banana milk shakes!! And the local Lidl does seem to have quite a good selection of items as does Aldi. For tilapia fish, from Norway, and some good meat, I go the Metro and stock up every 3 months. I wonder if anyone who likes UK food has heard of the Brit shops in Budapest who actually deliver to anywhere in Hungary? If interested, I can post up the links here.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 6:36 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Earmaus
Read the above with interest; I am lactose intolerant, but Tesco sell a lactose free milk with is good as I am rather partial to banana milk shakes!! And the local Lidl does seem to have quite a good selection of items as does Aldi. For tilapia fish, from Norway, and some good meat, I go the Metro and stock up every 3 months. I wonder if anyone who likes UK food has heard of the Brit shops in Budapest who actually deliver to anywhere in Hungary? If interested, I can post up the links here.
Hi, they have been mentioned before thanks :-) Does the Metro have a good selection of fish?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I tend to buy the tilapia or the fogas (pike-perch). Our local branch in Kaposvar has a fresh fish section. I usually purchase a lot of fish from there in the winter just before Christmas as we usually get snowed/iced in here for a short period after the New Year. I have also seen large prawns in Lidl, frozen of course. Metro's meat section is also good. I have a love for goose and duck so I usually get some from there at the same time as the fish. I don't eat beef, but their pork is usually okay; I have had lamb from there and it wasn't at all bad.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to get a card for Metro or is it a normal shop?
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:11 am
Just Joined

Do you have to get a card for Metro or is it a normal shop?
Yes you do. We get round it as the retired mayor here has one and he loans it out to us. I think you actually have to have a business or something, but I know the friendly loan from your neighbours is carried on in many villages. I haven't bothered to check the ins and outs as getting in is covered.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:22 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Earmaus
Hi, I tend to buy the tilapia or the fogas (pike-perch). Our local branch in Kaposvar has a fresh fish section.
So no salt water fish

Yes, Metro here is the same as the UK but I believe, though could be wrong, that you can use a UK card in the Hungarian Metro.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I have never encountered Metro in UK but once went to one with a friend (who had a card) in Bulgaria.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:26 am
I bite my thumb at thee

I have never encountered Metro in UK but once went to one with a friend (who had a card) in Bulgaria.
Known as Makro in the UK though I think they have now been taken over by Booker
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah, I see. There was a Makro in Aberdeen but I never went.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:03 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Ah, I see. There was a Makro in Aberdeen but I never went.
There was one in Glasgow, as a child, I remember going with my father and being amazed at the huge tubs of penny an two penny sweets - as a child, they seemed huge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.