Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Contacting utility companies, mobile phone providers, etc.

Contacting utility companies, mobile phone providers, etc.

Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contacting utility companies, mobile phone providers, etc.

How easy is it to contact utility companies or any other company which provides a service, i.e. internet, mobile phones, etc.in Hungary via email? Does all contact have to be by telephone?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contacting utility companies, mobile phone providers, etc.

No. You can do via email too - I have done so on many ocassions, in English, receiving an English reply. It takes slightly longer as they normal get the head of the department to deal with English questions. If you look at my profile, my website discusses all of these matters. I can, if anyone wishes, send you copies of those emails. Here is an example when I asked about meters.

Thank you for your e-mail of 2nd December 2016.

We would like to inform you that in case there is no meter in the apartment (because it is a flat where gas is used only for cooking and there is no separate gas meter), then it is enough to fill out the handover form without meter details and put a thick at the point ‘Mérőnélküli (átalánydíjas) felhasználási hely’.

If the meter was installed outside the flat (it is placed in the common area, f.e. in the staircase, close to your apartment), it is also required to register the meter reading and the date and the gas meter serial number on the handover protocol.

Please be informed that the local distribution network provider has to inspect the point of use to ensure safe and uninterrupted gas service in case of changing the person of the user.

During this inspection the integrity of the meter and the pressure controller, the visible part of the gas pipes connecting the meter to the distribution network is checked, the meter is read and photographed and the presence and integrity of the seals are checked.

The inspection is free of charge.

In case the meter was damaged by the previous owner/gas user, it is his responsibility. Latter case we will repair or change the meter if necessary.

Please find below our website URL, where you can download any documents you need.
https://www.fogaz.hu/Egyetemes-Szolg.../Dokumentumtar

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

That's great. That means less pressure on me if I have to organise anything without my wife!
Szeged - I'll look up your previous posts.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Glad to have helped, Fentiger.

As a side note to others. I always find it useful in general to pre-empt situations whereby I ask my Hungarian girlfriend to write out sentences in Hungarian for me, for future use, such as a note to the postman or a letter explaining a current situation whereby I am in the UK and need to email a Hungarian response.

The reverse is true when I am in Hungary and she is in the UK. I have certain Copy & Paste sentences printed out so that any Hungarian knocking on the door, I can either point my finger at a particular sentence (for them to read) or speak the sentence (using the printed sentences as a reminder of how to speak a particular sentence).......just in case the Hungarian looking at the paper cannot read it due to them not bringing their reading glasses for example).
Old Mar 9th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

I have on many occations translated in google questions/statements which I want the other to understand. I type a sentence out translate it to Hungarian copy thatthen translate back to English to make sense. With a bit of jiggery pokery I have succeeded most of the time.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

If you need generic questions, such as - I would like a 6 months contract or questions relating to renting an apartment or Digi etc just ask! I will dig out some of mine or ask my HU GF for translation help.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Location: Black Country, UK (soon to be mainlane Europe I hope)
yamyamsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Szeged - looking at your site, what a wonderful wikipedia of Hungary, makes for good reading :-)
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks yammyamsam, will be in Budapest later this month to add more!