Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Coal/Smokeless Fuel

Coal/Smokeless Fuel

Old Dec 27th 2014, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coal/Smokeless Fuel

I am getting desperately short of seasoned wood for the stove and most of the firewood available is unseasoned so I would like to buy some coal or smokeless fuel. I have been trying to do Google searches but I just seem to get all sorts of irrelevant stuff such as anthracite coloured cars! Is coal available in Hungary?
Old Dec 27th 2014, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coal/Smokeless Fuel

Coal is available in Hungary but it is generally brown coal (lignite) which produces a thick smoke that smells awful and is mined in Hungary.

The new(ish) Mátrai Erőmű (Mátra power station) was designed to burn this in a triple expansion steam turbine (the power station is next to the mine), this new power station was supposed to replace the Ajka power station which was converted to wood firing as an interim with a big EU grant to run until the Mátra came on line (This is what I remember from an article the wife got to translate some years back)

- needless to say the Ajka power station is still running and importing wood from Slovakia as well as swallowing up everything local!!

Anyway back to the question - brown coal is sometimes available in the local Tüzép. It is often sold pressed into bricketts. I have never seen 'proper' coal such as polish anthracite or welsh steam coal or anything approaching that quality.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Coal is available in Hungary but it is generally brown coal (lignite) which produces a thick smoke that smells awful and is mined in Hungary.

The new(ish) Mátrai Erőmű (Mátra power station) was designed to burn this in a triple expansion steam turbine (the power station is next to the mine), this new power station was supposed to replace the Ajka power station which was converted to wood firing as an interim with a big EU grant to run until the Mátra came on line (This is what I remember from an article the wife got to translate some years back)

- needless to say the Ajka power station is still running and importing wood from Slovakia as well as swallowing up everything local!!

Anyway back to the question - brown coal is sometimes available in the local Tüzép. It is often sold pressed into bricketts. I have never seen 'proper' coal such as polish anthracite or welsh steam coal or anything approaching that quality.
This information was posted a bought 1 year ago first area at Tatabanya mbil. +36 30 753 1313 www.tüzelőanyagok.hu The only deliver up northern area But pleas check out web site and I no that coal can be collected from their. Wood cut to Stove Picas around hear 23,000fh 1 m3 so weather distance to greet and costly to collect further up north it my help diggger47
Old Dec 28th 2014, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. I have just sent an email enquiry to a firm that sells briquettes of compressed sawdust so I will see if they deliver to my village. We actually have a factory in the village that made fuel pellets but I think it closed down a couple of years ago. The pellets are probably not suitable for a normal stove anyway.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Thanks for the replies. I have just sent an email enquiry to a firm that sells briquettes of compressed sawdust so I will see if they deliver to my village. We actually have a factory in the village that made fuel pellets but I think it closed down a couple of years ago. The pellets are probably not suitable for a normal stove anyway.
This might sound Daft but I have A Paper Press to form Briquette's for stoves, I no in Uk added some paraffin to held them burn beater, hear we have a lot of free newspapers and other stuff to use, the wife collects old phone books they burn well.
the eco-friendly is to use above with chop straw cow Sh----t make in summer to dry out for winter use theses are good, I am all was in it digger47
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Our local Tuzep still has plenty of logs and coal for sale. Some years ago when I thought of getting some coal in so I could bank up my fires for the night, I was told by Tuzep that they don't deliver anything less than a ton which was far more than I wanted. Last month I had a delivery of logs, not from Tuzep but from a firm who supplies most of the village and paid 16000 forint a cubic metre which included cutting to size and delivery.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I got a reply from the briquette firm but they seem very expensive:

Dear Sir,

"We deliver products, but just if it is at least 1 tonn (1 pallet).
Slovakian briquette: 68.000 FT.
Ukrain briquette: 65.000 FT.
RUF briquette: 62.000 FT."

I don't know if I'm right but it looks like these prices are ten times what they list on their website:

Fabrikett és tüzelőanyag

The word "mázsa" seems to be ambiguous but I'm taking it to mean a pallet load if that is the way the stuff is normally sold.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I got a reply from the briquette firm but they seem very expensive:

Dear Sir,

"We deliver products, but just if it is at least 1 tonn (1 pallet).
Slovakian briquette: 68.000 FT.
Ukrain briquette: 65.000 FT.
RUF briquette: 62.000 FT.

I don't know if I'm right but it looks like these prices are ten times what they list on their website:

Fabrikett és tüzelőanyag

The word "mázsa" seems to be ambiguous but I'm taking it to mean a pallet load if that is the way the stuff is normally sold.
A "mázsa" is 100Kg and is a standard unit of weight here in that lots of things are sold / priced by the 100Kg or mázsa. So the prices quoted in your reply are 10 times that quoted on their web site as there are 10 mázsa to a tonn.

And yes these briquettes are an expensive way to buy firewood
Old Jan 5th 2015, 1:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

We tried the compressed paper bricks Digger but found they gave out little heat and created a lot of ash so gave up on that idea!
Fib, our neighbour across the road has seasoned wood if you are out that way? Email me if you want the details.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
We tried the compressed paper bricks Digger but found they gave out little heat and created a lot of ash so gave up on that idea!
Fib, our neighbour across the road has seasoned wood if you are out that way? Email me if you want the details.
Thanks RH I am ok, in B/Pest at this time just back from New Year 4 days Pécs,in the Hills 1st March after uk,
first Job Tree felling almond and walnut trees down on new plot still have logs for start thanks digger47