Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

citizenship problems

citizenship problems

Old Jan 26th 2018, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

hirschhs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default citizenship problems

Hello, I have lived in Hungary long enough now to apply for citizenship and with Brexit, it seems prudent to do so.
This is a long shot but:
I was born in 1949, adopted in 1950 and changed my name in 2004.
Now, the Hungarian authorities apparently demand an original birth certificate, not a copy but I, like many Brits, do not have that. I can get a certified copy with my original name and I can supply an adoption certificate showing that my name became something else at that point and also the original deed poll doc from the name change.
Does anyone know if this paper trail will be sufficient given that Hungarians have little concept of name changes and all seem to have the originals of everything?! They did eventually accept that my deed poll cert was genuine when we changed my name on various docs here.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: citizenship problems

You should get any important docs such as your birth certificate and title deed notarised. That way, a title deed for example, will have been clarified by the home office; which in turn is acknowledged as official in Hungary because of its foreign part (the apostille). In 2014 I paid £250 for my title deed to be notarised. I then took it to the immigration office in Szeged (Hungary).
Old Jan 27th 2018, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 11:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The 'certified copy' that you probably already hold is the only thing that is available to you; that is because the only original is the birth/adoption register itself. The most you could provide is your birth certificate and adoption certificate as issued by the GRO and an original deed poll.

Birth certificate:
Old Jan 27th 2018, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much, this suggests that I will not be alone in my dilemma and that other Brits may have had to present certified copies rather than 'originals'. So the system may be accustomed to our ways!
Let's hope so.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

It is the same for a UK marriage certificate. In the UK, if you have married a Hungarian woman in the UK, you would need to take your 'certified copy' marriage certificate to the Hungarian embassy in London for example before your Hungarian wife could use your surname (have it recognised by Hungarian authorities) and therefore get her new Hungarian passport in your surname.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Yes, thanks. In fact we married here but it was an 'interesting' process to get her name changed here after we both changed our names in the UK!
Thanks for your help
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, if you could give a little update when you get to that stage how it is going? I am sure there will be several people interested in the process as very little information can be found on the internet about what the application actually demands.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

I most certainly will.