Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Car insurance here with more thann 1 vehicle

Car insurance here with more thann 1 vehicle

Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:20 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance here with more thann 1 vehicle

Does any body know how they work it out?

I find it amazingly cheap, although not sure what cover I have, (I asked for the best). Cost was about €80 a year.

I bought my car in a local garage and they seemed to just look at the details on my license and send them off, no mention of no claims bonuses or how many vehicles I have.

Does this mean we could have any amount of vehicles insured and all of them insured cheap like this one, (unlike the UK that only allows you no claims discount on one vehicle)?

I only have an old car by the way as I am moving back to Spain due to health problems to be close to friends and family, as soon as I sell my house here, which incidentally is advertised in the classified section. Am I allowed to say that?

Last edited by anonimouse; Dec 17th 2010 at 9:22 am.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:55 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance here with more thann 1 vehicle

Hi anonimouse, I am so sorry to hear that you are returning to Spain and good luck with selling your property, I don't think there will be a problem mentioning it.

Hungary can be a difficult country to settle in, mainly due to the language and at times you do need friends and/or family around.
It's why I always suggest to people who intend buying here, not to be too isolated from other Brits as no matter how much you hope to assimilate with the locals, many will never do so due to the difficulty of learning Magyar. Therefore, unless you are happy living as a hermit, I tend to advise people to buy within 15-20 minutes of the lake, as then, there is usually someone close enough for that sometimes needed cuppa and a chat.

Whatever you do, I hope it all works out for you
Old Dec 17th 2010, 4:04 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

It's mainly due to health reasons, it will be far easier for my OH to visit me ect ect if I have to keep going in hospital, I do have some lovely English speaking friends close by in fact we are having Xmas dinner together, but I don't like to put on them, they have saved my life once already (well that's what I always say to them), and he has his own health problems.

It's a little warmer in Spain for me too

Last edited by anonimouse; Dec 17th 2010 at 4:12 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 4:52 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I really am sorry about your health and hope it isn't too serious. Your home looks lovely, shame it hasn't worked out but I'm sure you'll have no problem selling

Yes, this year the weather wasn't terribly good, it's usually warmer in the summer with less rain but the winters are always cold and snowy (which we like - for a short time anyway).

Again, good luck
Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:59 pm

Thanks rural, I'm not too serious now it's just a matter of managing it now, the tablets side effects aint very kind to me.

Anyway about this insurance?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough

hi

your car insurance. we are just sorting ours out again as we off to austria skiing in january. although you can drive to any other EU country they advise you to get a green card which is free and given to you on the spot.
the insurance you have is what we would call third party.
you can only get fully comp on a new car.
and yes you do get a no claims bonus but you can't bring it from another country. and it is not as big a discount as the UK.
sorry but i don't know about insurance of two cars on one policy
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:50 pm

[QUOTE=hotpot;9047403]hi

your car insurance. we are just sorting ours out again as we off to austria skiing in january. although you can drive to any other EU country they advise you to get a green card which is free and given to you on the spot.
the insurance you have is what we would call third party.
you can only get fully comp on a new car.
and yes you do get a no claims bonus but you can't bring it from another country. and it is not as big a discount as the UK.
sorry but i don't know about insurance of two cars on one policy[/QUOTE

I got a green card after asking for one, re insuring two cars, it's just odd I didn't have to answer even one question about anything like they ask in the UK, maybe that's because they weren't giving me any discount at all.

Everything is a challenge here for me with the language
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough

Hiya

I also don't know about insuring more than one vehicle per person but we were told something different, Hotpot.

We have just acquired a Hungarian plate for Steve's Ford Transit but my astra is still stuck in red tape.

Anyway, people usually just take third party insurance here which is called compulsory insurance if you translate it literally. We were offered fully comp but were told to be able to add that on any time in the future so just got third party for now to get it on the road. His transit is 8 years old and we can have fully comp on it any time we want.

Our insurance lady advised us to photocopy our original English insurance and she sent it in with all the other documents. She said they would contact our previous insurance company re our no claims bonuses. Steve is paying 14000Fts/quarter year and he might not have to pay anything in the next term by which time the no claims bonuses will apply. She said it didn't use to be possible to get no claims bonuses acknowledged from abroad but now it is. Let's hope that's really the case.

Anonimouse, if you need help with the language, not sure whereabouts you are but I don't mind helping you if you are stuck with something.

Ria
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:14 pm

Thank you Riahun, very kind of you, I usually get by but this motor insurance has been the one I gave up on and just took what I was given