Reload this Page >

Car boot sales and flea markets

Car boot sales and flea markets

Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Chips55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car boot sales and flea markets

Hi everyone again,

Do car boot sale events and flea markets exist in Hungary.
It is a relatively unknown subject in Slovakia, the wife says.

Have the Brits managed to establish them in Hungary?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car boot sales and flea markets

I've never seen any in the region where I live .... no charity or second hand shops either!
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few regular ones near Eger, one every Saturday in Ozd which is actually a new and 2nd hand market, one near Miskolc (I believe). So yes, up here there are a few but nothing like you get in the UK in size or frequency.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few flea markets around here (North side of Balaton). They have been going for years, when we came here they were known as polish markets they now go under the name (locally) as lomi piac (lomtalanítás piac = removal market) generally the traders are our ethnic friends (aka gypsies) and I have yet to be offered a receipt!! As always with these things 'buyer beware'
There are no charity shops as such but many second hand clothes shops. Apparently what happens is that the UK and other western countries that have charity shops keep there merchandise for a set period of time and anything not sold is removed and sold on - to traders and then to Eastern Europe. So in the second hand shops you can find good quality stuff sometimes with the original stores sales label (e.g. Next, BHS M&S etc) that have obviously never been used. Goods in these shops are prices either individually or by weight. (Buying a work shirt by weight is a novel concept!)
Old Oct 1st 2014, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks every one. My mind was more on the car boot sales organised by individuals like in England rather than charity shops etc. Like the antique road show and stuff. I like old trinkets, kitchen utensils, old furniture to restore, things like that...rather than cloths. I saw a couple of shops for stuff that looked old on the border with Slovakia and Hungary but unfortunately it was all modern replicas. Poor quality too. Long live China...
Old Oct 1st 2014, 3:01 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Car boots or not we need to try and introduce our Hungarian host to car boot and thrift shops. Hungary is loaded with collectables.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

That is what I thought...nice to hear some one as enthusiastic. My wife thinks that this stuff ( retro as she calls it ) only exists in France and countries like that. But I am sure the concept can bring some treasures out of Hungary.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

One that immediately springs to mind is in Budapest we rarely venture to the big city but many that I have spoken to that have been to this place rave about it. We always have a couple of used stalls at our local markets, principally selling used tools etc but occasionally see odds and sods of ceramics and the occasional bit of furniture but nothing on the scale of the place we sold all of our left over stuff at in the UK before we left.

Flea markets in Budapest - Part 2
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Hungary is loaded with collectables.
I would have said the opposite! There is a car boot type market in Nagykanizsa every Sunday morning but you don't find much that is old or of good quality. I assumed that the Russian soldiers had nicked most of the decent stuff during communist times. There is a bigger market in Kaposvar but I've only been once so I don't know if they have different stuff there. You can certainly pick up useful items like gardening tools but always take a Hungarian with you if possible, to negotiate the price. Nothing is labelled with the price so as soon as they know you are a foreigner they will think of a price and double it!
Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:59 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with what FIb says, Nagykanisza's Sunday market is the closest I have seen to a boot fair. Nothing really in the way of antiques though excellent for retro items and you can generally find just about anything you need there. It's a good day out as the indoor farmers market is on at the same time with stalls selling everything from baked goods to fruit and veg, honey etc
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the market in Ozd yesterday morning and, despite the drizzle there was the usual good mix of new and used goods. I came away with a bike for my wife and a chimney sweeping brush but could have spent much more. My mother was horrified that the cute little bunnies for sale were actually for eating and not just pets
Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Duffy Haz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Agree with what FIb says, Nagykanisza's Sunday market is the closest I have seen to a boot fair. Nothing really in the way of antiques though excellent for retro items and you can generally find just about anything you need there. It's a good day out as the indoor farmers market is on at the same time with stalls selling everything from baked goods to fruit and veg, honey etc
Sorry to contridict Rural and Fidobsa and i ay have this wrong but is the carboot/farmers market in Nagykanisza not on a Saturday morning? - as i say i may be wrong but pretty sure i have been on numerous Saturday mornings. There is also a really big car boot market at Pecs on a Sunday morning - sorry to but in
Old Oct 7th 2014, 3:05 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, no it's definitely a Sunday, we live not far from it. The indoor market is on everyday, including a Saturday morning and has some indoor stalls with books, trinkets, plants etc as well as fresh meat, fruit, bread and all manner of edible goods. On a Sunday, the car parks as closed to traffic and the boot fair is set up from 5am onwards.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Evie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really nice

There is also an outside market in Nagykanizsa, the 1st Tuesday in the month...although it is smaller than the Sunday one.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Duffy Haz is an unknown quantity at this point

Rural - my apologies - i think i have my Nagy`s mixed up, Nagytad is where i am thinking of - apologies to all, looking on thre bright side i now know there is one in Kanizsa. I am over on Sunday and the long range looks great!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.