Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a car rental firm?

Can anyone recommend a car rental firm?

Old Dec 31st 2016, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone recommend a car rental firm?

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a car rental company or car rental comparison website purely for hiring a car in Hungary and travelling in Hungary only. Thanks.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

adventurejunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a car rental firm?

Hi yes I can totally recommend (U-save) they used to be Thrifty. When you get out of the Terminal you call them and they pick you up like 5 minutes later no issues at all. The ones I try to avoid is Buchbinder or Megadrive as the seem to look for issues on the cars after the rental period..This is of course only my personal experience. I rent cars there about 9/10 times yearly..think it is about time I buy a car in Hungary but that's another story O and I always use Auto-Europe for the booking.(although rentalcars.com have got better prices at the moment)

Last edited by adventurejunkie; Dec 31st 2016 at 3:44 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanlks for the info, adventurejunkie. Much appreciated.

Happy New Year.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Try Fox rentals as well. I have used them a few times. Never any drama. I normally pick up and drop off in Heviz (Zala).

I dont know the prices now offhand. Were reasonable about a year ago.

I have also used Avis - once - Expensive.

GBA
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbite101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use both Avis and Sixt out of Ferihegy without any issues Both are located at the Airport,with the cars also at the Airport. Avis do tend to be more expensive. I also used Fox without any issues but the cars are located offsite.
I've also used Sixt at their Vaci Ut branch for a large van rental, again,no issues and very reasonable priced van rental.
I prefer to hire direct from whichever company in case of any issues. Probably cheaper to use someone like Auto Europe or Rentalcars.com, but this adds another layer of bureaucracy if any goes wrong.

Last edited by Razorbite101; Dec 31st 2016 at 6:51 pm. Reason: add info.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Hertz from Budapest airport. Found customer service to be a very high level. Only thing I wasn't keen on was when I returned car to Hertz I couldn't find the entrance to their car park so one of their staff drove the car around the site to the entrance .... boy racer style!!!! Wish I hadn't removed my dashcam before he got in. Anyway, no damage done.
If you pre-book well in advance, I.e. atleast six months prices are very cheap and competitive.