Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Buying a Hungarian car

Buying a Hungarian car

Old Jun 1st 2016, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Question Buying a Hungarian car

There have been numerous threads about importing cars etc, but can anyone detail the requirements of buying a car here.
I guess the dealer would complete all the documents for a new car, but are there any cost on top of the purchase price?
What are the steps involved in buying a used car from a private individual, (leaving aside the usual precautions.) which will come without a registration plate, and probably be in a different part of the country from me.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Hungarian car

I have bought a used car from a dealer and a used motorcycle from a private individual. Both cases were much like in UK. Obviously the dealer did all the paperwork and got me insurance. If I recall correctly (it was over 4 years ago) the cost of registering the car in my name was included in the original asking price. With the motorcycle I went with someone to act as interpreter and he and the seller filled in the required form between them . I got a neighbour to take me in his pickup truck to collect the bike so I was able to sort out insurance after I got it home. The bike came from a different county but it kept the existing registration plate. I suppose if a vehicle came with no plate you would also have costs for that plus an MoT.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

This link here might help. I have only bought a car from a dealer and they did all the paperwork.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We've bought several used cars since moving here and you can expect to pay between 50,000 and 70,000 forints on top of the purchase price in order to transfer the registration in to your name. If the car has no Hungarian registration or has been temporarily withdrawn from the system you will have to pay more. There should be 4 copies of the document of sale/purchase. 2 for you, 2 for the seller. You must each take 1 copy to your local okmányiroda as soon as possible after the purchase. The vehicle will also need, at minimum, a visit to get an eredetivizsga before you can complete the transfer.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Paul,
Your info was the same as Polly's link, but still leaves me unclear about the procedure if the car is in a different area from me.
If I have to take the document to my local okmanyiroda to register and get a plate, can I drive the car without a plate or no?
Also interested to know how to get insurance for a vehicle with as yet no number plate?
Thanks guys for your time and help.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

No, you can't drive the car with no plate. If it has no plate it won't have a múszaki. It would need to be trailered. You can get insurance without a plate by insuring it on the VIN. This is what I did when I imported my bike. Once the car has a new number then you go back to the insurance company and they alter your insurance document.
I hope this car is an absolute bargain because it sounds like it's going to be a hassle and expensive.
Why doesn't it have a plate?
Old Jun 4th 2016, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Paul,
Thanks again for your time.
This is my first time car hunting in Hungary, so no specific car in mind yet, I just noticed that almost all the cars I see for sale at second hand dealers have no plates, so I am trying to understand the Hungarian system which is obviously different from the UK one I am used to, where the car keeps the same plate from first registration.
Searching the net has produced info on temporary plates which are valid for a short period, do you know if these can be used to transport a car home?
Am I right in assuming the vehicle has to be registered in my local area? unlike the UK nation wide registration.

Thanks for the insurance info, that is one issue resolvable now.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Often no plates in a dealers yard means that the car is an import and the dealer should do all the paperwork. Get the paper work included in the price, that is the price should be ready to drive out condition. Clocking is common on imported cars as its difficult to check
Old Jun 4th 2016, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Usually a car keeps its plates in Hungary for all of its life - the number is often etched into the windows even when the car was first sold in Hungary!
Old Jun 4th 2016, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks,
I am getting wiser.
Unfortunately I am out on my own in this field, since my Hungarian friend and translator is not interested in anything NOT football shaped, to her a car is a free taxi and technicalities like tax registration etc are things she doesn't understand even when they are written in her own language.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
..... without a plate by insuring it on the VIN. This is what I did when I imported my bike.

Why doesn't it have a plate?
Did that enable you to use it on non Hungarian plates with Hungarian insurance? If that is the case I could do the same with my van. I need to take it 70km to the government MoT station but it has GB plates and I no longer have GB insurance. I was thinking I might have to use a recovery service which would be expensive for that distance
Old Jun 4th 2016, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I was thinking I might have to use a recovery service which would be expensive for that distance
Car recovery is about 120HUF / km and expect to pay waiting time or for return trip. So 70km = 8400HUF each way plus wait time or 8400HUF plus return trip - twice
Old Jun 5th 2016, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Did that enable you to use it on non Hungarian plates with Hungarian insurance? If that is the case I could do the same with my van.
Yes. I don't know how long you'd get away with it for as I only did it for a few days whilst going through the process of re-registering it.