Reload this Page >

Buying a flat in Budapest

Buying a flat in Budapest

Old Jul 11th 2015, 11:11 am
Just Joined

xylophone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a flat in Budapest

Hi

I'm currently weighing up buying a flat in Budapest (possibly living there for certain periods, and renting it out the rest of the time), and intend to go there in a couple of weeks' time to check if the apartments that look good on the internet are actually that good in real life.

On another thread on this topic from a few years back, someone mentioned Duna House (du.hu/en) as a good bet to use for an estate agent, and one that would be cheaper than those agents who aim solely at the foreign market. Does anyone have any recent experience with Duna House and can still recommend them?

Many thanks in advance for any good tips!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:57 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a flat in Budapest

Originally Posted by xylophone
Hi

I'm currently weighing up buying a flat in Budapest (possibly living there for certain periods, and renting it out the rest of the time), and intend to go there in a couple of weeks' time to check if the apartments that look good on the internet are actually that good in real life.

On another thread on this topic from a few years back, someone mentioned Duna House (du.hu/en) as a good bet to use for an estate agent, and one that would be cheaper than those agents who aim solely at the foreign market. Does anyone have any recent experience with Duna House and can still recommend them?

Many thanks in advance for any good tips!
My tip would be to be very careful in believing stories about future refurbishment plans for "the building". Often apartments are well refurbished but the building is poor. When we looked some years back we were told stories of future refurbishment plans - and when we go past the buildings now some 7 years later most are still as they were then plus a little more wear & tear.

There are apartments in period buildings that have been well repaired & refurbished. I would stick with these.

Good luck.

I am assuming you know about ingatlan.com - A legtöbb ingatlan egy helyen.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

It was quite possibly my post that recommended Duna House and yes, I can still recommend them and I have a contact there. If you would like the contact details, send me a pm and I'll pass them on. There is nothing in it for me by the way other than a little goodwill.

Once I made initial contact and gave them my price range, and specifications they came up with a list of places and drove me round to view. There was no pressure and their main market appears to be Hungarian so I found prices to be fair.

If you are also looking for someone to take care of the apartment or take care of any building work when you have bought it, again I have a contact if you are interested. Again, I don't benefit from this.

When you are looking around, make sure you visit places in the evening as well as the daytime, as large parts of District 5 are now party areas at night. Maybe that's what you are looking for but if not choose your street and building carefully.

Best of luck and have fun.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Alex59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Dave ( rammy100 ), I’ve found your old post on Property management. You speak about “rental property in BP that is managed by a small company”. Could you kindly send me the details of the company in PM? Thank you in advance. Alex