Reload this Page >

Burning garden refuse

Burning garden refuse

Old Sep 6th 2017, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Burning garden refuse

Greetings.

I wonder if anyone knows the exact laws/regulation regarding the burning of garden refuse?

Are the regs regarding the burning of refuse local or country or indeed EU wide?

The reason for the above question is that I was burning some garden refuse tonight. The weather was clear and there was NO wind. I was of course present and had a hosepipe present with a strong water supply. I am aware that sparks can carry a long distance.

After about 10/15 minutes of burning, the mayor lady came by. I am guessing someone must have alerted her to the fact that I was burning something – a separate issue that I will address at the soonest opportunity.

From the short conversation, I understood the words nem and something about holnap and the German word for fires.
I do know what the words mean and out of respect, - she has helped me out in the past - I immediately put the fire out without any argument or gripe.

Whilst I am – most of the time – compliant – I like to deal in fact and fact of law. If the mayor lady (that’s what we call her here) is outside her jurisdiction I will let it be known as such. If I am in breach of some local/state/international law then I will apologize and make another plan with the garden refuse.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 6th 2017, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burning garden refuse

It is my understanding that burning garden rubbish is not against the regulations, although during exceptional dry periods open fires are banned on the grounds of safety, however each village has, under the regulations, a specified day/time that garden bonfires are allowed (each village is different). This is done to avoid conflicts e.g. clean washing hung out to dry getting smoked. Some villages take this seriously some do not, however if a complaint was made that you were burning outside of the prescribed time then the lady mayor would have to say something.

Of course the only thing that can be burnt is vegetative waste. Some villages have started to have annual vegetative waste collections (usually in the autumn) to avoid the need for burning. Failing the collections, composting is a better solution.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 10:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
..... Of course the only thing that can be burnt is vegetative waste. Some villages have started to have annual vegetative waste collections (usually in the autumn) to avoid the need for burning. Failing the collections, composting is a better solution.
IMO burning and composting are complementary not alternatives. Leafy vegetation can (IMO should be) composted, and I burn woody, non-compostable waste, unless I have access to a chipper, which I sometimes rent. ..... Burning leaves, even dry ones in the autumn, makes a lot of smoke and is pointless, and arguably antisocial, when you can compost them.

In the autumn we like to burn some branches and a couple of split logs then cook sausages or steaks, bake potatoes, and cook some onions and mushrooms over the fire in an iron pan.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's always best to ask your neighbors or local Mayor my own Area Grape Fields/Plots There and Lots of Summer Houses as sum only able to Attend their Crop at Weekends.
The Ruling of no Bonfires is Friday to Monday no Bonfires which is understable, as someone wanting to be away having a break from working should not have the discomfort of Smelly Bonfires Any way Brits Like myself Monday washing Day I do not want my Clean Knickers smelling of Smoke. digger47
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies. I will go and see the mayor today to get things straight.

Having kept an eye on the weather as well as the prevailing winds (of which there was almost none) I made sure that I had only started the fire after dark. The direction of the very slight breeze meant that the closet house to be affected would be about 2/3 miles away. I would have thought most peoples washing and stuff would have been taken off the line by about 7.30 pm especially as rain was forecast.

The stuff being burnt was a bit big for composting. The chipper idea is a sound one and I will look into this asap.

I have some tree stumps to get rid of as these came out the ground over the weekend.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Problem solved!

We can burn garden refuse on Thursdays during the day and before say 6pm, but not in summer. That helps a lot as its raining today.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GBA77
Problem solved!

We can burn garden refuse on Thursdays during the day and before say 6pm, but not in summer. That helps a lot as its raining today.
Do not upset "The Indians" Look wat Happened to Custer at His Last Stand Off
digger47
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

A bit OT:
If you have more "woody" stuff like branches or bamboo even you can put it through a "Häcksler" (as we say in German and then on the compost heap - or straight under the bushes, trees and grapes where it helps keep the earth wet (says my wife).
Some time ago I bought this kind of machine (apritó) at the Lidl for about 100 €.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

The refuse collecters here in Komárom-Esztergom megye will take garden waste once a fortnight if it's in see-through bags, or in your normal refuse bin (with the ordainary rubbish removed of course). They will also take "woody" stuff if bundled together in lengths no longer than 70 cm. This is good because some branches/twigs are too small to put through the shredder and you're overflowing with kindling.

Regards,
Carrot Cruncher
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Life is so complicated in Hungary! I have been piling up branches and stuff for a bonfire but I didn't know I could only have it on a certain day. I will perhaps just watch for smoke and have my fire the same day as someone else in the village.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Life is so complicated in Hungary! I have been piling up branches and stuff for a bonfire but I didn't know I could only have it on a certain day. I will perhaps just watch for smoke and have my fire the same day as someone else in the village.
Ask at the local council office, they will either tell you the day or tell you to get on with it!
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
There's certainly no hard and fast rule in my area of Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen about having bonfires. There's always a bonfire going irrespective of the day.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Life is complicated. It might be simpler if you learned the language !