Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Burglary! Look out!

Burglary! Look out!

Old Jul 12th 2016, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Burglary! Look out!

Just wanted to warn everybody!

A German friend and his wife just visited us and were very angry ...

They've been on holidays for several years now in a village near the Balaton (the name is probably not important ...), staying every time with an Austrian family who have three apartments for rent in their house.

Last weekend they, the other two couples and the hosts went out for dinner in the hosts' minivan - leaving three cars parked in the yard.

After they came back, one of them said something like:

It's strange - I was sure we had the balcony door locked ...

After a while they ralised that someone must have broken in - but he/she/they didn't touch too many things, had only been looking for cash and jewellery ...
Even the banks cards weren't taken - just a few thousand € from two guest apartments??? And some valuable jewellery - simple earrings etc again weren't touched.

I'm wondering how anyone could take so much cash and leave it lying around, but still ...

On the other hand the burglar(s) must have watched the house carefully to be sure that there was no one at home - with three cars remaining. Somehow the whole thing looks/sounds fishy to me - was it someone from the neighbourhood who had reason to believe he'd find lots of cash?
Old Jul 12th 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burglary! Look out!

Originally Posted by wolfi
Just wanted to warn everybody!

Last weekend they, the other two couples and the hosts went out for dinner in the hosts' minivan - leaving three cars parked in the yard.
Sorry to hear about the break in but I just can't get rid of the vision of all those people going out in one of these:
Old Jul 13th 2016, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Love it Fid! :-)
Put a smile on my face this morning when I saw your reply.

Although as Wolfi said the people concerned were German I personally take all tales about such incidence in Hungary with a pinch of salt.

I just returned from a weeks holiday to be informed by my (nosey) neighbour than she had to call the police because people were breaking into my yard, the truth was far simpler and a lot less dramatic, a couple of young lads were standing on the outside of my fence so they could pick a few of the apricots from the branches which overhang the pavement.
I would add the fruit was already over ripe and starting to make a mess dropping on the pavement, so in a way they were doing me a favour.

But this simple truth doesn't stop the rumour of an attempted burglary in the street.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Fidi, the car was a little bit larger I think!

But the burglary was real - money was taken from several apartments and the door was forcefully opened - which doesn't mean much of course with standard doors and locks ...

Btw something similar jaust happened in my German hometown to one of our neighbours - he later came around and asked whether anyone had seen or heard something - and it was on a Sunday evening (not late) when the balcony/terrace door was opened, a strong scre driver had been enough!

Reminds me of the time when our builder said we'd have to buy special locks for all doors in reach not the regular ones.

Re that car and very OT:

That picture reminded me of my trips to London via the ferries - I was very astonoshed at first that there was such a price difference, depending on the lenght of the car!

I was lucky however, all my cars over the year were a max of 4 meters long, even my little camper van (Mitsubisji L300).

Oh, those were the days!

Last edited by wolfi; Jul 13th 2016 at 8:02 am.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

It's obvious someone heard them talking about all of them going out for a meal. Cash is cash ..... jewellery has to be converted into cash to be of any benefit to a thief ....