British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Burglaries and dog poisoning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/burglaries-dog-poisoning-904295/)

FenTiger Oct 8th 2017 9:14 am

Burglaries and dog poisoning

In the village of Malyi, near Miskolc there seems to have been a number of burglaries and dogs poisoned. Two very good friends of ours had their dog, a 40 kg GSD, poisoned and has since died. Their vet confirmed their dog had been poisoned. They suspect this was the first stage of removing their dog so burglars won't be scared off by a barking dog. A house nearby was burgled recently and their dog has not been the same since which they suspect had probably been drugged or poisoned. Everyone not nailed down had been taken!!! One of our friends sons has decided to install CCTV all around their property.

duztee Oct 10th 2017 7:54 am

Re: Burglaries and dog poisoning

I suppose it is a reasonable assumption.
But if the dog was anything like my neighbours which is also a large GSD with a very loud deep bark which it insists on deploying almost constantly night and day, there may not have been a secondary motive, other than a peaceful nights sleep!

This is one of the things I really dislike about living here, it is impossible to walk or cycle along any road in town without starting a cacophony of totally pointless barking.

fidobsa Oct 14th 2017 6:22 am

Death by poisoning might be a merciful release for a dog kept chained up all the time and just used as an organic burglar alarm.

FenTiger Oct 15th 2017 8:52 am

Originally Posted by fidobsa (Post 12360706)
Death by poisoning might be a merciful release for a dog kept chained up all the time and just used as an organic burglar alarm.

Our friends dog has never been chained. It had free run of the garden and slept inside their workshop which was heated during the winter months.

Peter_in_Hungary Oct 15th 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 12361280)
Our friends dog has never been chained. It had free run of the garden and slept inside their workshop which was heated during the winter months.

Our dogs have always been outside all year around. Apart from that I have been led to believe that if animals are in a heated environment over night and out in the cold during the day their coat will not thicken up enough for them to cope with the cold, or if it does then they can be too hot during the night.

duztee Oct 16th 2017 9:41 am

I believe it is now against the law to keep a dog chained all the time.

Peter_in_Hungary Oct 16th 2017 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by duztee (Post 12361943)
I believe it is now against the law to keep a dog chained all the time.

It is - but it's not often enforced! - only after some complaints.

BEVS Oct 16th 2017 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 12356304)
In the village of Malyi, near Miskolc there seems to have been a number of burglaries and dogs poisoned. Two very good friends of ours had their dog, a 40 kg GSD, poisoned and has since died. Their vet confirmed their dog had been poisoned. They suspect this was the first stage of removing their dog so burglars won't be scared off by a barking dog. A house nearby was burgled recently and their dog has not been the same since which they suspect had probably been drugged or poisoned. Everyone not nailed down had been taken!!! One of our friends sons has decided to install CCTV all around their property.

I am very sorry to read that about your friends pet. That's a horrible thing to do.