Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Budapest vs Prague

Budapest vs Prague

Old Jan 14th 2017, 7:07 am
Just Joined

netherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant future
Default Budapest vs Prague

I hope this topic is in the correct section.

I might spend a short period of time (a few months) later this year in one of these two cities.

I visited both cities during winter a couple of years back. I fell in love with Budapest, and left Prague with a very bad impression - vowing never to return. However, it was around the new year's period, which brings a lot of crowds to Prague.

I am now very curious to return to Prague (have also read a couple of expat memoirs on it), and am very curious to hear what others opine of the difference s between Budapest and Prague.

Thank you.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Budapest vs Prague

To answer this question really needs more information on what you are looking for in your potential trip? Are you looking for property, a holiday, a rental home? Would you be working there? Are you looking for the nightlife? What did you like about Budapest? More info please!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 7:49 am
Just Joined

netherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant futurenetherlandsexpat has a brilliant future

Thanks Szeged.

I would be taking a 4-week course and might stay for some time after that. I am interested to hear about what people experienced in these cities in terms of the atmosphere - so the soft factors - the ones that tend to be difficult to describe.

I enjoy reading about people's experiences so I am open to any kind of input.

Also curious if anyone felt the same way about Prague. I really couldn't wait to get out of there when I went. But now, having read a couple of expat memoirs and many expat blogs, I am very, very curious to see what it is like to live in Prague. Also read a couple of Milan Kundera novels. It seems that it is is a very mysterious city? It seems everyone agrees the locals are 'rude' but they appear to still enjoy living in Prague.

For background, I live in NL and feel that life here is pretty dull compared to an expat's life in Prague or Budapest. Nightlife definitely interests me.

I am leaning towards Budapest as I absolutely loved it when I visited - friendly locals, great food, stunning views of the Danube.

I guess what I am looking to hear is whether someone lived in Prague and found it not to be all that.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I have read between your lines, I would say you are still wearing your 'romantic tourist glasses' to put it one way! It is the same with London. My first 5 years living in London were great (great people, nightlife, etc) but there comes a point when reality kicks in. And it would be the same if you lived in Prague or Budapest for long enough.

Budapest realities would be such things as seeing a place in the sunshine in summertime as opposed to seeing it in cold winter with icey rain and wind. Realities such as restaurants purposely being nice to tourists in the summer. Realities such as getting things done with the language barrier hitting you hard (i.e. when viewing/renting an apartment, when on the telephone to some office that has no English speaking staff). And so on.

With regards to the people and the just said: There will also be stereotypes as well. To the English ear many Hungarian voices sound harsh and arrogant, but when you get to hear it all the time and understand the tone and life of the people, you realise that is not the case. In other words, in London for example, you could see two "Foreigners" in the street who appear to be shouting at each in anger when they are really just having a "normal conversation"!

To put the above into reality: It's like when you have a friend or your first partner (i.e. girlfriend). All is well and rosey at first, but as soon as you share a flat (apartment) together.......!!!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Szeged
From what I have read between your lines, I would say you are still wearing your 'romantic tourist glasses' to put it one way! It is the same with London. My first 5 years living in London were great (great people, nightlife, etc) but there comes a point when reality kicks in. And it would be the same if you lived in Prague or Budapest for long enough.

Budapest realities would be such things as seeing a place in the sunshine in summertime as opposed to seeing it in cold winter with icey rain and wind. Realities such as restaurants purposely being nice to tourists in the summer. Realities such as getting things done with the language barrier hitting you hard (i.e. when viewing/renting an apartment, when on the telephone to some office that has no English speaking staff). And so on.

With regards to the people and the just said: There will also be stereotypes as well. To the English ear many Hungarian voices sound harsh and arrogant, but when you get to hear it all the time and understand the tone and life of the people, you realise that is not the case. In other words, in London for example, you could see two "Foreigners" in the street who appear to be shouting at each in anger when they are really just having a "normal conversation"!

To put the above into reality: It's like when you have a friend or your first partner (i.e. girlfriend). All is well and rosey at first, but as soon as you share a flat (apartment) together.......!!!
Yes, that is probably the case!

I did like the sound of Hungarian though.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Prague suffers from a level of tourism that is a form of pollution. Czech is easier to learn than Magyar. Czech beer is superb. The Hungarians produce good wine. Czech cuisine is humdrum and stodgy. Hungarians do some fancy cooking.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Prague suffers from a level of tourism that is a form of pollution. Czech is easier to learn than Magyar. Czech beer is superb. The Hungarians produce good wine. Czech cuisine is humdrum and stodgy. Hungarians do some fancy cooking.
So I've heard. When we were living in Germany I took my family there, just after the Wall came down. It was Easter 1990 and I loved the place then.

My wife was there with her sister in 2015 and came back a bit disgusted with how it's changed.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Did she expect the Counter-revolution to make things better ?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 6:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Did she expect the Counter-revolution to make things better ?
No, she's too intelligent for that, but seeing a beautiful city, devoid of advertising billboards and film-flam being transformed into Disneyland in a mere 25 years was a bit more of a shock than anticipated.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you want to experience "Tourist Pollution" go to the centre of Prague especially in the Summer. Short stay visitors bring nothing but litter and misery !
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I had some friends come over who did both last year. They said they preferred Budapest, mainly because of the people.

Obviously I am biased!
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to experience "Tourist Pollution" go to the centre of Prague especially in the Summer. Short stay visitors bring nothing but litter and misery !
I was in Prague on a short-stay a few years ago and loved it! BUT what scot47 says is correct - one of my memories of it, is that it had been completely - and I mean, completely - taken over by hordes of American tourists (this was August).

Prague is really and totally on the tourist map now, level with the other mainstay Western European capitals.

I do really want to go back, for longer, and with my wife.

I have never been to Budapest so can't comment.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Budapest has also seen a significant increase in the number of tourists, enough for the City to make some changes to manage the flow and also to seek a shift in the demographic of tourists, for example away from stag parties!