Budapest

Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:55 am
Just Joined

rikandmegan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Budapest

The wife and I have been a good few times, a wonderful city. McDonalds and Burger King are on every corner but keep away from them and the English/Irish pub bars and you can eat well for not a lot of money.

The hot baths are a must if only to see the interior architechture. English was not commonly taught I believe until after the fall of the communists so your better off asking younger folk questions.

There is a massive shopping centre called The West End, good shops in there (if you have the urge for a steak there is a TGI inside and not bad prices). If you've not booked accomodation look online at apartment rentals me and SWMBO used the same one for almost five years until the owner sold it, smack by the West End it was too.

The underground is dirt cheap, buy a tourist pass available all over the place for discount on various places and beware of Taxi drivers we got ripped off a few times until we found out how easy the underground was.

You can book online airport taxi's for a fixed rate (take some euro's they like them) or use a sort of taxi bus, its a mini bus that picks up a few people at a time and drops you off at your stay. These are very good, and were never let down for a return pick up.

If your vegetarian I hope you like omelettes/pizza and if a meat lover Pork is everywhere although things are getting better. Drinking supermarket bought is not expensive, drinking out is as expensive as you want to make it; there are bars of all prices there and some really good Jazz clubs.

I may be talking drivel though, its been two years since our last trip
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:25 am
Just Joined

halikowski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Budapest

If anybody wants to rent a 2-room apartment in the city, nothing glitsy but in good shape and very central, please let me know. Rent is 65.000 ft/month + utilities. I can supply digital photos.
Thanks,
Stefan