Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Best Day so far!!!

Best Day so far!!!

Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Day so far!!!

Had to go to Auchan. Forgot half of what I needed so had to go back as I am knackered from the 13 hour day at work yesterday and my phone somehow fell out of my pocket. Auchan phoned and so I went and got it back. Got home and found my passport is missing.

I am not looking forward to the, what I presume to be, wonderful process of replacement. Also the photocopy both on paper and electronic form can not be found. SO unless I can find something with the number on it I have a problem even reporting it lost.

Coupled to the fact my Father-in-Law got pulled over by the Rendorseg yesterday and they found his licence was out of date........ So as he spends all his money on stupid pigeons I have to help him out. Again.

Vent. Vent. Vent. I am trying my best not to get too angry. Oh, and the fun of an endoscopy tomorrow. I am not at my best........ And, as we are supposed to have ID at all times here I have no doubt that I'll get stopped and then get into trouble..........
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Day so far!!!

We need a 'Find My Passport' app for mobile phones or androids!
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

This has got me thinking ..... why not scan your passport and save it in your mobile phone/PC/laptop ... never know when you might need it. It'll be pretty handy keeping a copy in your mobile.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I did! Just somehow not on the computer when it was.........
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Doh!

Next few days I've got to scan my passport, driving licence and some other official document and get two people to confirm my identity .... after that I will scan them and store them in my mobile and laptop.

Good luck with the endoscopy ...... they just might find your passport ....
Old Jul 1st 2015, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I hope the only thing they find is nothing! The doctors here are nothing if not thorough..........

So been to the Rendorseg and reported the loss and they have told me that I don't need to carry the passport with me as the Hungarian cards are sufficient. If only I'd known....!

Oh and the funny thing was the Rendor who dealt with me was the same one who fined my Father-in-Law!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, found it in the sock drawer........ Not sure if it was little fingers that put it there or it fell in when I was tired and didn't notice......

But anyways that's a £100 or so saved!
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Well, found it in the sock drawer........ Not sure if it was little fingers that put it there or it fell in when I was tired and didn't notice......

But anyways that's a £100 or so saved!

Old Jul 2nd 2015, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of a very silly thing I did last Sunday. I went to a sort of car and motorcycle race meeting at Varazdin airport, Croatia. For some reason they had people at both sides of the car as you drive in. On the drivers side there was a woman who rubber stamps your hand so can get back in if you leave. The woman on the passenger side is collecting the entry fee money (about 3 quid). I paid, got stamped and parked up. As it happens I didn't stay long as there was no shade and I would have burned up in the sun (that's the trouble with airports, no trees!). It is fortunate that I did return to the car so soon, I had wound up the drivers window but forgotten the passenger one. As I was not wearing a jacket I had left passport, driving licence, car registration document etc. in the car!
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I have bought a smallish shoulder bag to help keep everything together! The Rendor we talked to told us that if you have the photocard driving licence and the lakcim card that is enough and you don't need to carry the passport with you....... Not entirely sure about this but he is one of the guys who does do stop checks on the roads.

Oh and I get the lovely experience of having a section of lower intestine removed later this month! So I get yet more first hand experience of the Hungarian health service! I'm just happy I took a job on instead of going straight to self employed as it has made it a little simpler, even though i is an awful job......
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice

In the Brit Embassy Slovenia news letter this week, they sent out an interesting warning regarding PASSPORTS - which this thread reminded me of.

and since the Slovenia section seems moribund, I thought I would post this link here - even if it prevents one person from having a passport stolen, it will be my good deed for the month.

SEE
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/b...led-on-holiday

rgds H lFL
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful not only with your passports!

Some guy almost managed a few days ago to take a hundred thousand Forint out of my purse - though I should know better I opened it for a coin and he tried to swipe the paper money.

It happened on the Interspar parking lot in Keszthely - I was unconcentrated for a moment and my wife was already sitting in the car - she would have warned me, I'm sure but she couldn't see the guy approaching from behind.

We contacted the security which promised to inform the police - but the guy might be in some other town already searching for victims ...

So please be very careful when approached by strangers!

PS:

Maybe there already exists a thread on this risk where this info could be moved to.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
Be careful not only with your passports!

Some guy almost managed a few days ago to take a hundred thousand Forint out of my purse - though I should know better I opened it for a coin and he tried to swipe the paper money.

It happened on the Interspar parking lot in Keszthely - I was unconcentrated for a moment and my wife was already sitting in the car - she would have warned me, I'm sure but she couldn't see the guy approaching from behind.

We contacted the security which promised to inform the police - but the guy might be in some other town already searching for victims ...

So please be very careful when approached by strangers!

PS:

Maybe there already exists a thread on this risk where this info could be moved to.
This has got me thinking ..... keep wads of notes separate from what you need for wherever you are going. Alternatively, you could carry another wallet full of monopoly money or newspaper cuttings ..... at the end of the day you'd have the last laugh when the thief realises she/he has stolen the local paper!
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 6:41 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
This has got me thinking ..... keep wads of notes separate from what you need for wherever you are going. Alternatively, you could carry another wallet full of monopoly money or newspaper cuttings ..... at the end of the day you'd have the last laugh when the thief realises she/he has stolen the local paper!

Old Jul 3rd 2015, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea, FenTiger!

Though this would mean that I carry three wallets - one for my €s (where also the German driver's licence and bank cards are kept), one with Forints and my Hungarian Reg card - and a third one for the thieves ...
Don't have enough pockets in my pants for that ...
Well, usually my (Hungarian ...) wife looks out for me - she as some very good intuition about her compatriots ...