Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Authenticating estate agent and attorney for house purchase

Authenticating estate agent and attorney for house purchase

Old Apr 15th 2017, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Authenticating estate agent and attorney for house purchase

Hi all,
As I stated in my other thread, I have now found a property to buy ! I met with the lawyer in his office which, oddly, was set out in a residential apartment. I thought that I would be paying a deposit but actually paid the attorney and estate agency fees and have the receipt, obviously. The contract / agreement with both the seller and my details were all on it alongside the property location and I signed the multiple copies that have an embossed ring in the corner over which the attorney stamped with his name and address etc and all seems genuine. The seller will be signing the contract in the next week or so and I will be advised when to transfer the balance.
Before I do this, can anyone advise how to check that all is as it should be? The estate agent is well represented on the internet and appears to have been around for a long time….but searches for the attorney using his name and town brings up no results at all !
I do not want to name either the agent or the attorney on the forum but could through pm if needed !
Any advice on how to authenticate both would be welcome as I am apprehensive about transferring the balance into an account with no come back if things are not as they appear !
Many thanks !
Old Apr 15th 2017, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Authenticating estate agent and attorney for house purchase

Is the lawyer not listed at www.ugyved.net as Szeged suggested earlier?
Old Apr 15th 2017, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
Hi all,
As I stated in my other thread, I have now found a property to buy ! I met with the lawyer in his office which, oddly, was set out in a residential apartment. I thought that I would be paying a deposit but actually paid the attorney and estate agency fees and have the receipt, obviously. The contract / agreement with both the seller and my details were all on it alongside the property location and I signed the multiple copies that have an embossed ring in the corner over which the attorney stamped with his name and address etc and all seems genuine. The seller will be signing the contract in the next week or so and I will be advised when to transfer the balance.
Before I do this, can anyone advise how to check that all is as it should be? The estate agent is well represented on the internet and appears to have been around for a long time….but searches for the attorney using his name and town brings up no results at all !
I do not want to name either the agent or the attorney on the forum but could through pm if needed !
Any advice on how to authenticate both would be welcome as I am apprehensive about transferring the balance into an account with no come back if things are not as they appear !
Many thanks !
Can you clarify, have you actually paid a deposit? Also it seems you have paid the Estate Agent fees which should have been paid by the seller...or am I reading this all wrong?
Old Apr 15th 2017, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Watchpost…..have tried to use that web site but there doesn't appear to be an English version !
Expatrick - Trying to clarify by text with the estate agent and waiting for reply…the receipt is hand written and not so easy to read….it says "deposit"…..then what looks like "sana fee"….followed by name of estate agency and property location / village name.
It does say in the price breakdown that I have a service fee to pay to the estate agent…..

Last edited by hobgoblins; Apr 15th 2017 at 3:51 pm. Reason: extra wording
Old Apr 15th 2017, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not wish to insult your intelligence, and perhaps you could give a little more background into your story?, but if you have a Hungarian friend helping you....

Are you still with CasaMia or you dumped them?

Are you now using a Hungarian lawyer etc?

More info please. Also, if you could post a few lines of the paragraph about the deposit agreement perhaps we could help further explain what you have possesion of at this time?
Old Apr 15th 2017, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Pm sent Szeged….
Old Apr 15th 2017, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Here you find lists of lawyers if you go to the bottom of the page and selct on the left the county (megye):
Budapesti Ügyvédi Kamara » Ügyvédkereső
This page is an example for Zala county listing the lawyers' offices (iroda):
http://www.zalaiugyvedikamara.hu/irodak
Old Apr 15th 2017, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Wolfi - I found his lawyer on www.ugyved.net

hobgoblins - pm sent.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Szeged, thanks for the feedback!

That's what I like about forums like this - you can find/give real help and info.
Wish every forum were like it ...
Old Apr 16th 2017, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The way property purchases are done here (typically) is that the buyer pays the legal fees, usually the same solicitor acts for both buyer and seller and the seller should pay any agents fees. The solicitor is obliged by law to make a leagaly sound contract of sale and purchase. (note not fair to both sides but leagly sound!)
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
... and the seller should pay any agents fees.
At present, Casa Mia charge an estate agent's fee to the buyer of 3% plus VAT with a minimum fee of €1,000 plus VAT.

As Peter and Expatrick say, this is not usual in Hungary, but I imagine it is legal if agreed to in advance. It's par for the course in Austria and Germany, FWIW.

This is from Casa Mia's website (I couldn't find corresponding English text):

Für eine erfolgreiche Vermittlung verrechnen wir 3% (drei Prozent) vom Kaufpreis (zuzüglich 27% Mehrwertsteuer), mindestens jedoch den Gegenwert von € 1.000,- zuzüglich 27% Mehrwertsteuer (= € 1.270,-).
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wolfi
Szeged, thanks for the feedback!

That's what I like about forums like this - you can find/give real help and info.
Wish every forum were like it ...
Agree with this completely ! Many thanks again for the help and advice - I can relax a bit now !
Old Apr 16th 2017, 10:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth we made sure that both parties signed the contract (with fixed completion date) simultaneously at the Lawyer's office - before we paid the deposit. The balance was paid on completion day - after we had inspected the property.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

I viewed my property with HU GF and estate agent (HU GF arranged everything) on a wednesday, with no seller present as they were on holiday. Estate agent then haggled down the price with seller by thursday. On friday I then signed my pre-contract, with terms and conditions (such as wanting the old front door replacing before I moved in), in front of the seller (back from holiday), estate agent and HU GF (estate agent had prepared the pre-contract). As everything was being signed the deposit was also being counted!

At that time I was given up to a month to pay the remaining amount, but paid it two weeks or so later in the lawer's office (in front of my property lawyer, estate agent, seller and HU GF). Again, as everyone was signing the 8 copies or so of the final agreement (with embossed stamp, etc) the cash was also being counted.

The above happened this way for me because everyone trusted each other. It was a very relaxed affair. The counting part was just a formality. Once the signing and cash counting was over (by the way, seller counted as we signed, making him the last one to sign) I got my title deeds about 4 weeks later.

From what I have read on the internet and from other buyers is that each case can be unique to their own story. So to a degree I would not worry too much about the "actual process or procedures involved in buying a Hungarian property". I would just advise you check who your lawyer, estate agent and seller are if possible. In my case the seller was a LTD company buying auctioned properties (so could be checked via Free company search, copy of register download - Company Hungary). The lawyer was my HU GF's lawyer (who can be checked via https://www.ugyved.net/) and the esate agent were commercial.