Reload this Page >

Areas of interest for buying

Areas of interest for buying

Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

afletcher30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Areas of interest for buying

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Even within a large village there can be some parts which are fine and others that you wouldn't walk down on a Saturday night.
I wasn't going to respond to the 'have you checked the crime rates' comments but it would seem it has developed legs. We need to get perspective, that crime was 2006 as I recall, a very long time ago and not representative of everyday one imagines. I don't know about you but you I didn't check the crime rates of the village I live in in the UK and would suggest that a large% of the house buying population didn't either. There are many roads I wouldn't walk down on a Saturday night in many British towns, that boils down to common sense. I would also point out that the city I work in probably has a higher crime rate than all of the Balaton area put together.

I think you are scaremongering unnecessarily and RuralHungary I understand you may have a vested interest in warning people off other areas, of course I stand to be corrected but the negativity and pessimism is not conducive to a good forum experience.

it's just very small minded and frankly Daily Mail behavior
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by afletcher30
I wasn't going to respond to the 'have you checked the crime rates' comments but it would seem it has developed legs. We need to get perspective, that crime was 2006 as I recall, a very long time ago and not representative of everyday one imagines. I don't know about you but you I didn't check the crime rates of the village I live in in the UK and would suggest that a large% of the house buying population didn't either. There are many roads I wouldn't walk down on a Saturday night in many British towns, that boils down to common sense. I would also point out that the city I work in probably has a higher crime rate than all of the Balaton area put together.

I think you are scaremongering unnecessarily and RuralHungary I understand you may have a vested interest in warning people off other areas, of course I stand to be corrected but the negativity and pessimism is not conducive to a good forum experience.

Hello,

I did in fact say some positive things about Enying. Indeed the crime was a while ago but Enying still does have a reputation for gangs and when you move here you will also see the prostitutes on the road from Enying to Siofok who live in a village nearby. I know this because I live not far from there myself. When we bought here there were things that we did not look into (such as crime rate and local laws) which I wish I had. I am just trying to help people benefit from my own experience with the benefit of hindsight...of course you can take it or leave it.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:35 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by afletcher30

You mean the truth is not conducive to allowing people to be ripped off?

I happily recommend many villages near Enying as I know them to be good villages. Unlike 90% of agents, I don't recommend or sell property in areas or villages that I know have problems and over the years these include a village mayor having to come to a party with a shot gun to get rid of unwanted guests, houses stripped of everything including copper piping and electric wiring, bricks thrown at windows, livestock stolen from gardens, houses burgled, people harassed 24/7 for money/cigarettes/food - and these are but a few.
Personally, I am offended by your suggestion that I only advise people for my own benefit and would suggest you look at the numerous posts where I recommend the areas North of the Lake around Vesprem, up towards Eger and near the Slovakian borders none of which I have a "vested interest" in.
In fact, I barley even mentioned Enying so I don't know why you are dragging me into this!
Sorry, but if you have came here looking for a rose colour tinted view of Hungary then I don't think you will find it as though everybody on here loves Hungary, we are not blind to it's faults and some areas have more than others.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:39 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
Hello,

I did in fact say some positive things about Enying. Indeed the crime was a while ago but Enying still does have a reputation for gangs and when you move here you will also see the prostitutes on the road from Enying to Siofok who live in a village nearby. I know this because I live not far from there myself. When we bought here there were things that we did not look into (such as crime rate and local laws) which I wish I had. I am just trying to help people benefit from my own experience with the benefit of hindsight...of course you can take it or leave it.
Are there a lot of prostitutes on that road Pol? There are a couple of roads over our way where you occasionally see one or two, nothing like we witnessed in Bulgaria though.
As mentioned before, I had only heard of the Enying "gangs" and that was from news reports years ago, apart from that, it's not somewhere I had much knowledge of. Having done a search on the Enying Mafia, I actually thought you were using the phrase in a throw away manner, I now understand why mentioned it. They appear to be international traffickers in many commodities including women and girls, hence asking if there are many prostitutes as that seems to be one of their main income streams.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Are there a lot of prostitutes on that road Pol? There are a couple of roads over our way where you occasionally see one or two, nothing like we witnessed in Bulgaria though.
Not lots, a few regulars. It is quite sad to see as I have heard they have terrible conditions. I see one or two each time I go on that particular stretch of road, usually the same ones and it has got 'better'.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:56 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

It's very sad A British lady near us was thinking about trying to set up some sort of drop in or help centre though I don't know if it ever got off the ground.

I know I shouldn't as it's a serious subject but have you searched "Enying Raffael János"? He is apparently the Don of the Enying Mafia..... Do you think he's an Al Capone fan
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

It's very sad A British lady near us was thinking about trying to set up some sort of drop in or help centre though I don't know if it ever got off the ground.

I know I shouldn't as it's a serious subject but have you searched "Enying Raffael János"? He is apparently the Don of the Enying Mafia..... Do you think he's an Al Capone fan
Rural - you should send Mr.Rural wearing his string vest to sort him out ...
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:43 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Usually I do my own "sorting out" Fen as being from Glasgow there's not much I'll back down from but even I would think twice about interfering there though it appears the chap passed away last year.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Sep 2nd 2014 at 12:04 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

magyarAngol is an unknown quantity at this point

My recommendation is to buy in one of the villages in the National Park and mountain regions. It is very picturesque and comparable to the Uk Lake district but unlike the UK housing in the village locations of this region is inexpensive as the Hungarians do not wish to travel to their place of work making housing cheaper to buy as in Hungary the Holiday home ownership is does not have the same value as in the uk...YET!!!.
This Mátra and Bukk region is the main wine growing area in the country...yes the North not the south as many other countries, this is due to a micro climate unique to Hungary and this mountain region, its due to the hot air currents that come from Africa routed to the region via the way the mountains lay and trap this air and weather. 30 plus deg is not unusual during the summer months in this area. Look for villages like Bukkszek and surrounding villages as it is in the heart of the National park with some having a thermal spa. Camping, Hiking, Fishing and all out doors type of events catered for near by if not in your village. Average house prices for a renovation or upgrade project is from £3k to £10k ish with ready to move into homes from £15k ish. Living costs per annum not counting luxuries as this varies for every one...I mean total for food and bills est £6k per annum...on top of this is any petrol or travel around costs and extras required.
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:37 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi and thanks for taking the time to add the info. Last year, I looked at adding properties over that way as I found some lovely little villages whilst looking for a character cottage for a client. As with everywhere, I found some villages that looked a bit iffy but certainly not on the scale of the problems South of the lake. However, I didn't put time and effort into it as it's difficult to convince people there is more to Hungary than the lake! My guesstimate would be that 80% of people looking to buy in Hungary and to be within 30 minutes of the Balaton and many end up in villages to the South and the fact is some of them are not places you would want to live.
Coming from Britain, I think the weather is pleasant enough throughout Hungary for most - though this summer seems to be the exception.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

What is the area around Kis Balaton/Balatonszentgyörgy like? I have been there once...quite liked it. All comments welcome.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:45 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

It depends exactly where, lots of Brits round the area.