Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Any info over UK expats status post No vote in EU referendum?

Any info over UK expats status post No vote in EU referendum?

Old Aug 17th 2015, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any info over UK expats status post No vote in EU referendum?

Just wondering if anyone has come across any hints over what the Hungarian government might do with us if the UK votes to leave the EU? I don't know how premature it is to start looking into the VISA and work permits system?

I don't fancy being deported. Especially as my wife would probably not be allowed entry to the UK being all foreign like. And my dual nationality daughter could then have an interesting time...........

Hopefully common sense prevails......... But we are talking about little england........
Old Aug 17th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any info over UK expats status post No vote in EU referendum?

The Guardian have been talking about this today and have comments from expats and their worries. I have no idea what Hungary would do if anything but I would hope that the embassy here would discuss this nearer the time. I think at some point maybe the British expat community would have to 'mobilise' to put pressure on the embassy to represent us.
Of course most of us may be able to vote in the referendum so at some point we should also mobilise all those expats who want to stay part of the EU. I think that there are about 2 million expats living in Europe, hopefully a sizeable portion of these will be able to vote.....

I don't know but all this migration hysteria is making me feel a bit ashamed at the moment.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I asked questions from the other end - I sent 2 letters, one to the dept. work and pensions and the other to the responsible minister. The question was what woud happen to pensions if the UK voted to exit.

The answer from the dept. W&P was to quote the rules of today, implying that the discrimination that currently exists with pensions would be extended across Europe. (That is only selected countries would get the annual increase in the OAP. e.g. those living in Croatia get increases whilst those living in Hungary do not)

The answer from the office of the minister was that the government was working towards a stay in vote and therefore events and speculation of events should the UK vote to leave was not under consideration.

For those of us here there is always the choice to apply for Hungarian citzenship, an exam in 'Hungarianism' (culture and language exam) but no exam for those over the age of 65, just form filling.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

My bet is that the UK will vote against Brexit when it comes to it. But the UK electorate is fickle.

If the UK were to leave, there is a good chance that it would either remain in the EEA or sign a bilateral agreement with the EU (as Switzerland has) regarding the freedom of movement of persons – despite what UKIP, Migration Watch, etc. want.

In the event that the freedom of movement were to be cancelled, most countries adhere to the grandfathering principle that rights once granted, particularly residency rights, are respected even when legislation changes such that they would no longer be granted, and I would expect Hungary to follow that principle.

All things considered, I think it is extremely unlikely that Brits formally resident in Hungary would lose the right to stay.

That's even before considering the pragmatic aspect, i.e. the fact that foreign retirees bring more money into the country than they take out. For example, in the limited discussions that I have had with Hungarians on the recent anti-immigration campaign (the questionnaire, the posters, etc.), it was clear that that sentiment was not targeted at western European owners of homes, who are considered "good foreigners" (however one may feel about that distinction). Pragmatism doesn't necessarily translate into government policy, of course (the UK's aggressive attempts to keep American spouses of British citizens out of the UK is a good example), but Hungary has traditionally been welcoming of foreign residents. That's why many of us have houses there, in fact: it was possible for foreigners to buy in Hungary long before other countries in the region permitted it (and long before Hungary joined the EU).

And as Peter says, there's the option of naturalization. According to Wikipedia, Hungary wouldn't require applicants to renounce their British citizenship. Perhaps someone has more detailed information on that.

Should Britain leave the EU, I think the real issue for British expats in Hungary is going to be things such as pension arrangements, health insurance, etc.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hungary recognises dual citizenship and there is no need to renounce another citizenship when gaining Hungarian citizenship. In fact it is not easy to reonunce British citizenship, and good reasons need to be given e.g. new citizenship country will not allow dual citizenship. You can not for example renounce British citizenship to avoid tax.

In the event of brexit, as watchpost said the real issues will probably center around pensions and health care. Imagine turning 65 getting your OAP for which you have contributed the full number of years and then getting no increases - ever, whilst those living in Croatia (and Serbia etc.) get their annual increases.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
..... the real issues will probably center around pensions and health care. Imagine turning 65 getting your OAP for which you have contributed the full number of years and then getting no increases - ever, whilst those living in Croatia (and Serbia etc.) get their annual increases.
That would probably be considered fraudulent if it was a private pension scheme.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 7:51 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Hungary recognises dual citizenship and there is no need to renounce another citizenship when gaining Hungarian citizenship. In fact it is not easy to reonunce British citizenship, and good reasons need to be given e.g. new citizenship country will not allow dual citizenship. You can not for example renounce British citizenship to avoid tax.

In the event of brexit, as watchpost said the real issues will probably center around pensions and health care. Imagine turning 65 getting your OAP for which you have contributed the full number of years and then getting no increases - ever, whilst those living in Croatia (and Serbia etc.) get their annual increases.
I understand that you have to live in Hungary 8 years before you can apply for citizenship? That is a long qualification period.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
I understand that you have to live in Hungary 8 years before you can apply for citizenship? That is a long qualification period.
If you're married to a Hungarian it's five years subject to an exam on Hungarian history etc in Hungarian apparently..........

It does appear that most of the anti EU bods haven't realised that it isn;t the EU that has freedom of movement enshrined, hence Norway for example.

Hopefully it won't come to pass. I'm of working age so maybe a little more vulnerable than others....... We need to get a move on with getting the business set up!!
Old Aug 24th 2015, 10:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the UK also leaves the EEA you won't have a problem. Immigration, like the European Court of Human Rights, is something that people like to blame on the EU even though it has nothing to do with it.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:10 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I will copy my previous post on another similar thread:

I completely agree that expats should have the right to vote. Particularly expats, and particularly on this issue.

But I equally won't be phased by any insupportable scare mongering tactics which suggest that somehow expats will be stripped of all rights and possibly deported.

Britain's membership of the EU should be decided on what's best for Britain, not pie-in-the-sky idealism, nor the predictable scaremongering propaganda to support those arguments.

In this round, I seriously doubt there will be an overwhelming vote in favour of leaving (the EU). But I do expect further independence from EU control. After all, Britain really won't ever have much influence until it adopts the Euro (and that's not happening any time soon, if ever). So, why should the UK be subject to such invasive influence from Brussels?