Acclimatisation

Old Jun 8th 2013, 2:02 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acclimatisation

Originally Posted by FenTiger
My wife said she thinks there's only one variety or quality of vanilla sugar. It does work for us.
This was not logical to me and somewhat paradoxical so I thought about it... Then I got it, the sugar attracts them, they fly towards it, the vanillas repels them, they fly away from it, the sugar attracts them, they fly towards it...... eventually they drop dead from exhaustion
Old Jun 8th 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
This was not logical to me and somewhat paradoxical so I thought about it... Then I got it, the sugar attracts them, they fly towards it, the vanillas repels them, they fly away from it, the sugar attracts them, they fly towards it...... eventually they drop dead from exhaustion
You've made me feel really sorry for mosquitoes now .... I'm so confused whether I should put them through all that flying back and forth only to drop dead through exhaustion!
Old Jun 8th 2013, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

The only good mosquito is a dead mosquito.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Sooner or later someone (male) has got to mention it is ONLY the female that bites!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the male wears feathers, something like a red Indian chief or the ladies at Ascot:
http://www.mosquitoes.org/downloads/MosqFacts.pdf
Old Jun 9th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Apparently the male wears feathers, something like a red Indian chief or the ladies at Ascot:
http://www.mosquitoes.org/downloads/MosqFacts.pdf
WOW - never knew this!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:37 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, how on earth would you examine one closely enough to distinguish before splatting? Anyhow, I would assume the males steer clear of humans EXCEPT those torturing them to exhaustion with vanilla sugar....... God someone get Fid a citronella spray!!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I tried the vanilla sugar today but not sure if it helped at all. Should it be dry or do you have to wet it? I've just read that bounce fabric softener sheets can also help but I don't know if they sell those here.
Maybe you need to put vanilla sugar in more than one location. If we are sitting around a table my in-laws put a small saucer of vanilla sugar on the table and also below on the ground. The vanilla sugar has to be in close proximity to you to work.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I got some lemon eucalyptus oil in the herbal kiosk in Tesco today so I will try to find a hand spray bottle to apply that.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Everything I have tried so far has been totally ineffective so I think the only answer for gardening is to keep every inch of skin covered or netted. I have just placed an online order for this:
http://www.meheszbolt-tamasi.hu/ruha...heszkalap-tull
I don't care how silly I look as long as it keeps them off me.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:26 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Or do as the locals do and only garden in the mozzie free hours.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

What time is 'Mozzie Free Zone'?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Everything I have tried so far has been totally ineffective so I think the only answer for gardening is to keep every inch of skin covered or netted. I have just placed an online order for this:
http://www.meheszbolt-tamasi.hu/ruha...heszkalap-tull
I don't care how silly I look as long as it keeps them off me.
You need to find a friend who mozzies like more than you and keep her/him close ... that way .... you'll be safe!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:47 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Morning till around 7pm, at least everywhere I go it is. Never have problems through the day with them but as it cools down, they start biting.

My zinc and essential oils must be working as I have had only one bite to date this summer - though there have been significantly less mozzies about.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not aware of one, not in the garden anyway. I was pointing the inside brickwork of the tool shed this afternoon and they didn't bother me there but I just (3.30 pm) tried 5 minutes weeding in the veg patch and they found me soon enough, despite it being a windy day. There were some here the last 2 summers but they were not a big problem. To be fair it is much worse in the early evening when I do the watering but it is not effective to do that in the hot part of the day. Watering yesterday I got 3 bites within 30 seconds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.