Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Are these cost of living estimates correct?

Are these cost of living estimates correct?

Old May 14th 2015, 4:35 am
Just Joined

tesekuler is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Are these cost of living estimates correct?

The amounts are for 6 months in Goa. I don't really mind which part as long as there is an apartment available.

6 month visa - £87
flight - £400
hotel 10 days, breakfast included - £130
deposit - £780
rent - £300
food - £600
moped buy - £400

total - £2697

I would like to know how much to leave the UK with for 6 months.

I'm quite used to cooking and eating at home so no need for restaurant prices.

The hotel is for the first ten days so I can find a flat.

Last edited by tesekuler; May 14th 2015 at 4:52 am.
Old May 14th 2015, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are these cost of living estimates correct?

No chance of renting an apartment within your budget.You might get a room in a shared house for that but that's about all.If you are looking for a furnished flat with cooking facilities you need to more than double your budget.

John
Old May 14th 2015, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

The flat is listed as:

Rent Price: ₹ 13,000
Bedroom : 1
Bathroom : 1
Super built-up area : 70.00 Sq. Meter
Built-up area : 750.00 Sq.Ft.

Deposit: Rs. 30,000

Last edited by tesekuler; May 14th 2015 at 1:25 pm.
Old May 15th 2015, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are these cost of living estimates correct?

Originally Posted by tesekuler
The amounts are for 6 months in Goa. I don't really mind which part as long as there is an apartment available.

6 month visa - £87
flight - £400
deposit - £780
rent - £300
food - £600
moped buy - £400

total - £2697

Could be done but I think you are underestimating the cost of accommodation and of food. You will have to rent a scooter or motorbike and the prices of those have risen. Prices in Goa have gone up every year over the last few years and with a drop of 45% of tourists last season they will be putting up the prices again. I would have £3000 available which you could withdraw from an ATM from your UK bank as you need it. Do not take it with you. Now is a good time to exchange some sterling.
Old May 15th 2015, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Some guy on reddit said the food budget is way too high.

He said you could buy it and have someone cook it for £100 a month.
Old May 16th 2015, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are these cost of living estimates correct?

Some guy on reddit said the food budget is way too high.

He said you could buy it and have someone cook it for £100 a month.
Probably true five years ago but wages have gone up and so have market costs even at the State run fruit and veg stalls. It is really not worth trying to work out to the penny what six months in Goa is going to cost because if you dont have some spare funds in the UK for emergencies then you shouldnt be going. What if you come off your scooter and need hospital treatment? You just cant budget for everything..£3000 should cover it but have some in reserve.
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

I am quite economical when it comes to living here so here's my monthly spend

Accomodation : 8000 Rs (2 bed apartment - I furnished), although this is pretty cheap (I think) so you may be looking around 10,000 to 12,000 Rs per month for a one or two bedroomed place. There are LOTS that are more, but it all comes down to doing your homework and more-so getting here early. Before the season starts. Also you could make a deal with the owner to vacate the appartment for a couple of weeks over Christmas so they can cash in on peak season and you head of elsewhere. Just a thought. Local Indian workers often rent places for 3000 - 4000 Rs for a single room (VERY BASIC)

Food : Indian local food is pretty cheap, dosa's (large flat pancake looking things with usually potato mix in the centre) start around 40 Rs, Pav Bhaji from 20 Rs (couple of bread baps with often a coconut or tomato based sauce in a bowl) Samosa's now around 10 rs, in Mapusa near Alanca cinema you can get great Fruit Salad and a 'chunk' of ice cream for 40 rs, chicken fried rice (good for two meals) for 100 Rs. The Pub in Mapusa also does good value food, so does Amancio's in Siolim. (Their Chicken Cafreal with Chips and Salad is to die for!)

Have a look here
Prices and Costs In Goa, India - Updated 2014

You mentioned buying a moped, you have to be resident to legally own a bike so buying is difficult. Long term rent can be done for 4000 - 5000 Rs a month I think, used to be 3000. You will need a International Driving Licence which can be obtained from the Post Office (AA) or the RAC.

Also do remember of exchange costs, banks often only let you take 10,000 Rs out at a time and Nationwide (which I used to use) had a set fee of £1 + 2 or 3% commission I think, so would only take out £97 of every £100. To get round this there is the State Bank of India account in the UK which provides a good exchange rate and not fees (as long as you keep £500) in the account.

Hope this helps

Last edited by poipleshadow; May 23rd 2015 at 4:38 am.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Could be done but I think you are underestimating the cost of accommodation and of food. You will have to rent a scooter or motorbike and the prices of those have risen. Prices in Goa have gone up every year over the last few years and with a drop of 45% of tourists last season they will be putting up the prices again. I would have £3000 available which you could withdraw from an ATM from your UK bank as you need it. Do not take it with you. Now is a good time to exchange some sterling.

Agree with this advice. your estimates are a bit cautious and I think you may find it difficult to stick to them, especially for rent which has risen enormously in recent years. £3,000 sounds a sensible sum of money to allocate but as already said you will need to have reserves in case. Accidents and emergencies do happen and they eat up the funds.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 7:10 pm
Banned

Patchsidhu is an unknown quantity at this point

6 month visa - £87
flight - £400
deposit - £780
rent - £300
food - £600
moped buy - £400

total - £2697

Hi Tesekuler
I have an apartment in Sernabatim, Colva south Goa. which I aim to start renting this season onwards.
It is very reasonably priced and I have created a website for it as well now, I don't think I am allowed to advertise my web address here or not (MODS please advise) but if you PM me I can send you the details if you are interested.
I am OCI based in Uk for 50yrs and go to Colva every year from Nov to March every year.
Cheers
Patchsidhu