Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Tell me about Goan food

Tell me about Goan food

Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:24 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tell me about Goan food

I keep reading about the Egg and Chips, Chicken Masala...that's British grub uh? If I were coming to Goa what would I enjoy? I love spicy food, spicy southern Indian food. Would I be disappointed?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:49 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me about Goan food

come on people, 'go on, go on, go on' as someone once said.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I keep reading about the Egg and Chips, Chicken Masala...that's British grub uh? If I were coming to Goa what would I enjoy? I love spicy food, spicy southern Indian food. Would I be disappointed?
If you ate where the locals eat you would not be disappointed.

I personaly do not enjoy the Goan dishes as mainly inspired by the Portugese and tooooo spicey for me .

But the Thalis are good and a good selection of dishes from all over India if you are selective where you eat.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:17 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Egg masala - one of my favourites. but only from Bayview Shack. Yum Yum.
Fish dishes are also fantastic in Goa. But not fish curry and rice especially what the villagers eat.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by noni
Egg masala - one of my favourites. but only from Bayview Shack. Yum Yum.
Fish dishes are also fantastic in Goa. But not fish curry and rice especially what the villagers eat.
If you happened to go with Noni, keep upwind of her if she has had her egg masala!!!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

GermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to behold

I love spicy food, spicy southern Indian food. Would I be disappointed?
You most definitely wouldn't.
Like MsJ5 said, you'll find a good selection of dishes from all over India, be it Tandoori, Biryani, Dosa, Idli, whatever.
Business Hotels in the cities usually serve the typical North Indian and Goan stuff, whereas purely vegetarian restaurants tend to have the best South Indian.
(Not at every corner, but easy enough to find, anyway. If you go, I'll gladly PM you a list of my favourites in North Goa.)

Local Goan cuisine can be absolutely delicious, but is really hot. It's mainly based on coconut and fiery hot red chili powder.
Some dishes have a certain portuguese colonial "touch", especially the cuisine of the roman catholic minority. But those are usually just as spicy...

Some examples:
  • Sorpotel - a fiery hot stew made from a whole pig, including the blood and offal, thinly chopped up and boiled for days with spices, wine (nowadays mostly vinegar), garlic and a lot of pepper, served with coconut bread
  • Vindaloo - I guess you know that one; what most people don't know is that this is a classic Goan thing from colonial time (the word is derived from "vinho e alho", wine and garlic.)
    Catholics usually use beef, Hindus use chicken or vegetables.
  • Kingfish/Pomfret Recheado - a whole fish stuffed with - you guessed it - garam massala and herbs

Some of my favourites:
Squid (or prawns) in spicy coconut gravy with rice
Mussels coated with a mix of semolina and hot spices, deep fried.

Dammit I'm getting hungry now...
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, and especially Germanfool. That is encouraging and also answers something that has puzzled me.

In Singapore and some parts of Malaysia (Malacca in particular, but some in Penang) you can find what is described here as Eurasian cuisine. The Eurasians are, by definition, a mixture of races, but quite often Portuguese-Indian in heritage and some of these dishes sure sound familiar... and yeh, this is my kinda food Recheado...I've seen that before.

I don't mind Northern Indian foods but find them a bit bland sometimes. I think my tastebuds probably got shot to pieces when I lived in Thailand

OK....I shall remember to look back at this thread and ask Germanfool some recommendations if I ever make the trip. I just might
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Tina1
If you happened to go with Noni, keep upwind of her if she has had her egg masala!!!
I shall definitely bear that in mind
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:38 pm
Sensible Member

GoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the rough

For South Indian veg food you cannot go wrong eating at a branch of Navtara. They have branches in Panjim, Mapusa, Povorim and Calangute now. It's fast food though and not a place to have a sit-down meal with friends and chat & drink for ages (they only serve soft drinks). But great if you're hungry and prices are OK.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:08 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Julia, how ya doin?

So nice to see you back after all this time

Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, and especially Germanfool. That is encouraging and also answers something that has puzzled me.

In Singapore and some parts of Malaysia (Malacca in particular, but some in Penang) you can find what is described here as Eurasian cuisine. The Eurasians are, by definition, a mixture of races, but quite often Portuguese-Indian in heritage and some of these dishes sure sound familiar... and yeh, this is my kinda food Recheado...I've seen that before.

I don't mind Northern Indian foods but find them a bit bland sometimes. I think my tastebuds probably got shot to pieces when I lived in Thailand

OK....I shall remember to look back at this thread and ask Germanfool some recommendations if I ever make the trip. I just might
Rick Stein has just finished his series about Indian food.
I thought I saw them all but don't remember anything on Goa.

Of course in Malacca there's the Portuguese settlement. We've eaten there once iirc but it wasn't very good, mainly seafood except for the chicken piri piri???
Can't remember anywhere in Penang and particularly in Singapore anything really being described as Eurasian. Maybe devil curry, the missus tells me Joo Chiat has one Eurasian place.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 9:40 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Just a personal take on actual "Goan" food.

Most of it overly dosed with chilly.

Other softer spices used to such excess that they become harsh.

Many so called "typical" Goan dishes dominated by one spice, at the expense of all others.

Hindu food much more pleasant than harsh, acidic, fiery Catholic food.

Xacuti very pleasant, if the ridiculous amounts of chillies added is controlled, but this applies to a lot of Goan cooking.

Overall, compared to the wonderful flavours experienced in other Asian cuisines., traditional Goan cuisine is actually pretty poor, and best avoided, especially in local joints where it is cooked for the Goans.

Oh yes....... Rechad/Rechado just about the most destructive thing to do to a beautiful, freshly caught flavoursome fish. You could apply that oppressive masala to next doors cat that you ran over last week and it would taste the same

Last edited by johnny five; Jul 25th 2013 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:28 am
Sensible Member

GoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the roughGoanPlaces is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by johnny five
Hey Julia, how ya doin?

So nice to see you back after all this time

Yeah I'm doing great - it's now nearly 4 years since I moved to Goa! Don't as yet have any inclination to move back to the UK hahaha!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by johnny five
Just a personal take on actual "Goan" food.

Most of it overly dosed with chilly.

Other softer spices used to such excess that they become harsh.

Many so called "typical" Goan dishes dominated by one spice, at the expense of all others.

Hindu food much more pleasant than harsh, acidic, fiery Catholic food.

Xacuti very pleasant, if the ridiculous amounts of chillies added is controlled, but this applies to a lot of Goan cooking.

Overall, compared to the wonderful flavours experienced in other Asian cuisines., traditional Goan cuisine is actually pretty poor, and best avoided, especially in local joints where it is cooked for the Goans.

Oh yes....... Rechad/Rechado just about the most destructive thing to do to a beautiful, freshly caught flavoursome fish. You could apply that oppressive masala to next doors cat that you ran over last week and it would taste the same

GermanFool seems to like the cuisine. I imagine it depends what you're used to. I'm used to fiery hot food and like it. Local Penang food can be very spicy.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:44 pm
Banned

GermanFool seems to like the cuisine. I imagine it depends what you're used to. I'm used to fiery hot food and like it. Local Penang food can be very spicy.
What was the first line of my post?

"Just a personal take on actual "Goan" food."

What I am used to is irrelevant, I cook Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Chinese and of course, Indian of all types, but as I said in my post

"Hindu food much more pleasant than harsh, acidic, fiery Catholic food."

Maybe its best to try it before making judgements?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.