Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

The Real Marigold Hotel.

The Real Marigold Hotel.

Old Feb 4th 2016, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

willb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nice
Default The Real Marigold Hotel.

Hi All.

Been watching this. BBC Two - The Real Marigold Hotel

It never explains that you just can't retire to India. And boy did we try when we lived there.

But a good show though. It was nice to see Jaipur again. Still miss Incredible India.

Bill.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 11:59 am
Derbyshire

ChesterfieldLynne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Real Marigold Hotel.

Yes Real Marigold Hotel is a lovely programme but retiring to India does present problems as you say.
I have commented about the visa situation. Marigolders can get a health tourism visa which lasts longer than the usual six months but for people to consider retirement in India, the India government will have to make some changes.
I have long term guests in Kerala but visas must be renewed. This makes it expensive to live in India - and also the long haul travel just to get a visa renewal is not good for oldies like me!
Old Feb 4th 2016, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

willb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nice

Originally Posted by ChesterfieldLynne
Yes Real Marigold Hotel is a lovely programme but retiring to India does present problems as you say.
I have commented about the visa situation. Marigolders can get a health tourism visa which lasts longer than the usual six months but for people to consider retirement in India, the India government will have to make some changes.
I have long term guests in Kerala but visas must be renewed. This makes it expensive to live in India - and also the long haul travel just to get a visa renewal is not good for oldies like me!
Hi ChesterfieldLynne. We lived in Goa for over 3 years and all that time we tried various ways to "Retire" there. There was a guy who said to us "Give him £1000 each and your passports" And he would get us both a 5 year visa within a week. Yeah OK. We spent over 3 hours in the Immigration Office in Panjim after we were told by the manager of the HDFC Bank to mention her name. But all to no avail. Is it true it is easier to live in Kerala than Goa.

Bill.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:52 pm
Derbyshire

ChesterfieldLynne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bill,
Oh the Immigration Office in Panjim! What a delight that is for a day out! I did think of building a bar outside there with some basic accommodation for people to camp while paperwork was processed.
For long term living, India is the same throughout. The only way to do it is to be offered a job - which can be arranged but is expensive. With an employment visa things become easier. - Lynne
Old Feb 5th 2016, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ChesterfieldLynne
Hi Bill,
Oh the Immigration Office in Panjim! .... - Lynne
I have always had a courteous and helpful reception from the staff at the FRRO Panjim, and yes, it is very very very difficult for a foreign national to retire to India.........................................

AndyD 8-)
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:50 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I've been really enjoying this programme on the BBC which finished on Monday night, I do hope there will be a sequel. Even if they pointed out that the participants had no right to buy somewhere in India they were not very clear on issues of residence, visas and property rental. The lovely Jan Leeming seemed intent on spending 4 months a year "en famille" with an Indian family - is this a viable option, do you think?
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

6-month Tourist visas are generally available for Brits.
Longer T visas with 180 day stay limit may be available.
Longer Medical visas may be available.
Properties may be rented on leases up to five years - this will not guarantee any sort of visa.
NRIs; PIOs; spouses of people on Business, Employment, Student, Research visas; people having property in India; can get 6/12-month 'X' visas extensible in India for up to 5 years.
Official recognition of this is mixed, things may be made very very difficult.
Real retirement/ residence visas have been mentioned, briefly!

AndyD 8-)

Last edited by a_f_d; Feb 11th 2016 at 1:19 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
6-month Tourist visas are generally available for Brits.
Longer T visas with 180 day stay limit may be available.
Longer Medical visas may be available.
Properties may be rented on leases up to five years - this will not guarantee any sort of visa.
NRIs; PIOs; spouses of people on Business, Employment, Student, Research visas; people having property in India; can get 6/12-month 'X' visas extensible in India for up to 5 years.
Official recognition of this is mixed, things may be made very very difficult.
Real retirement/ residence visas have been mentioned, briefly!

AndyD 8-)
Andy, (me being pedantic)! You missed out OCI cards. Multiple entry, life-long visa for those of Indian origin. British spouse could get one after two years of marriage.
(I am sure Jan Leeming could find someone eligible in UK to marry or even a local!!)
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bipat
Andy, (me being pedantic)! You missed out OCI cards. Multiple entry, life-long visa for those of Indian origin. British spouse could get one after two years of marriage.
(I am sure Jan Leeming could find someone eligible in UK to marry or even a local!!)
For four months a year?

AndyD 8-)

Last edited by a_f_d; Feb 11th 2016 at 4:06 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
For four months a year?

AndyD 8-)
Could be the perfect marriage, only living together for four months a year.....
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Discussion piece in today's ToI

AndyD 8-)
Old Feb 13th 2016, 9:14 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting Andy especially the last paragraph that "despite two very successful instalments of the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movies, its director has confirmed that the cast doesn’t want to brave another stint shooting in India".

That kind of suggests that real life in India wasn't quite like it was represented in the movies!
Old Feb 13th 2016, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Very interesting Andy especially the last paragraph that "despite two very successful instalments of the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movies, its director has confirmed that the cast doesn’t want to brave another stint shooting in India".

That kind of suggests that real life in India wasn't quite like it was represented in the movies!
I don't think a collection of slightly bizarre TV personalities making a light hearted programme will be anything like real life!
(As a pair of geriatrics with homes in both countries for decades it made for a good discussion for us over lunch.)

In general if you have money and family help, both countries are good.

UK---Without either money or family, you get the state pension and if you
become demented you are carted off to a care home and fed.
India--- you will probably be moved into an orphanage or similar for basic
care.

UK --the welfare state and free medicines. Very expensive care homes.
A&E on a Saturday night, may be hours on a trolley before admission.

India ---government hospitals very varied, private medicine good and less
expensive. A live in help will be far easier to get and far less
expensive.

UK ----free bus passes
India--can easily get a rickshaw or taxi with helpful drivers in most places
and cheap by UK standards.

UK ----cold winters and falls on ice.
India---monsoon time difficult to go out, and get washing dry.

The programme showed Jaipur, there are so many places you could choose rather than there. Chennai/Pune would be good places to retire in our opinion if no other connections in India.
Which leads to integration if you don't mix in with local people. Goa is probably OK as lots of British tourists go there and also British living there.

I am sure Andy will have more to add!

Last edited by Bipat; Feb 13th 2016 at 10:13 am.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

So if I acquire an Indian wife I can go and live in India ? It seems that the rules are easier than for those marrying British citizens and hoping to get residence in the UK !
Old Feb 13th 2016, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scot47
So if I acquire an Indian wife I can go and live in India ? It seems that the rules are easier than for those marrying British citizens and hoping to get residence in the UK !
You need to be married for at least two years before applying for long term visa. I believe on divorce the visa would be invalid. I don't know what happens if widowed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.