monsoon and clothes

Old Oct 4th 2013, 7:27 am
Just Joined

kali22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default monsoon and clothes

hi,
we are a family with 3 children and we are moving to Goa in February.

we are thinking of bringing all our furnitures with us and I was wondering if our sofa will appreciate the moonsoon can it get rotten ? and what about warm cloth, did you take it with you or left it in UK ? sounds stupid questions but never lived the monsoon ;-)
Old Oct 4th 2013, 7:41 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: monsoon and clothes

Hi there and welcome to the forum

As you can see, I am not based anywhere near Goa, but have lived in the Tropics for some 8+ years so know a bit about monsoon living.

I think it would depend what kind of sofa perhaps and, also, would you be living in a breezy spot? and would you be using aircon? If breezy or aircon, it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe some Goa residents would be kind enough to enlighten what is the norm in Goa.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

GermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to behold

Warm clothes might be nice for end of december / beginning of january when temperatures can drop to 14 C at night (rarely, but it happens).

Unless you have air condition, the sofa will rot away during monsoon.
My leather wallet once turned from black to green colour within 48 hours.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

I once got up in the morning pulled my jeans on and the cloth was so rotten the legs came off. When the rains first started i thought it was fantastic, the heat and the non-stop sounds of Cicadas was driving me mad but after a week of rain, i noticed the walls going green in my room .All my fishing tackle looked like it had been on the bottom of the sea for years.Come to think of it all the locals turned green too.Probably from all the all the Cadju Feni going down their collective throats.Could never handle that horrible smell of that stuff. My mates all drank Cadju Feni with Limca.You could smell them coming from around the corner.Cats piss comes to mind
Old Oct 4th 2013, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Clothes will depend what temperatures you are used to. If coming from UK you will at times need jumpers, light coat and warmer nightwear. (local people will be in scarves and woollen hats). Obviously plastic raincoat with hood, and suitable footwear for wading through puddles and flood and that can be washed afterwards.

Regarding furniture the above advice is a little extreme in my opinion. At our place far South, we have no aircon and frequent roof leaks, but nothing turns green!!! Open windows when at all possible and fans.
A thin layer of wax polish will help keep mould from polished wood. Just make sure everything is pristine clean before rains start and wipe off any mould as soon as appears.

Textiles and clothing is a problem as difficult to get completely dry after washing and always smell damp. Make use of any sunny intervals to get all out in the sun to air and have extra sets kept wrapped up in bags. (particularly for children). Fortunately disposable nappies now available (but need a dry spell to burn them!!).
I have read that the glue used for British made furniture is not suitable for Indian climates, but have no experience of this as our stuff is local made.
B
Old Oct 4th 2013, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

GermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bipat
Regarding furniture the above advice is a little extreme in my opinion. At our place far South, we have no aircon and frequent roof leaks, but nothing turns green!!!
I happen to have a picture. 48 hours (you'll have to take my word for that).
Of course it's not always this extreme, but especially when the sun comes out in the morning after a few days of continuous rain, this is what happens to leather:

I was able to wipe it off, and after applying copious amounts of Isopropanol first and shoe wax afterwards, it was ok again and I am still using it. But when I imagine what would happen to a regular sofa, "yuck" is all that comes to mind.

Last edited by GermanFool; Oct 4th 2013 at 11:33 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

I am glad to live in land a little where it doesn't seem so bad, but clothes still get a nice green sheen if left for a while, I think it helps keeping air moving (leaving the fan on), mine is on all day and windows normally open (unless the local temple is having a loud music day).
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Chameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really nice

We moved to Goa lock, stock & barrel 9 years ago. All of our furniture has survived and continues to do so. This includes fridges, a dishwasher, a tumble dryer (thank Heavens!), sofas, dining room suite, coffee tables, beds and mattresses, wardrobes......the lot!

We live here all year round and are here for most, if not all, of the monsoon. We have found that the important thing is to maintain the airflow around the house so no blue plastic covering doors or windows. We tried it the first year and never again!

Clothes - we tend to wear warmer clothes in the cooler mornings and evenings of January and February (especially when on the scooter or walking dogs) but we are only talking light sweaters here! Monsoon, tends to be cut offs rather than shorts and darker colours so the splashes don't show! Crocs are better than flip flops for preventing mud splashes up the back of the legs. Occasionally we wear wellies but only because we've got them. We would not buy them specially!

Hope this helps.

Chameleons.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

You could buy a dehumidifier for about £140 and take it out with you. My friends use them through the monsoon if their places are closed up for a day or two. I rely on leaving windows (with mossi blinds fitted) open and I use clothes bags that 'breath' to keep my clothes covered but do not rehang them if they have been worn, it is sweat that goes mouldy first in my experience. You can buy dehumidifiers in India but the ones I have seen are downright ugly.

Last edited by k800mer; Oct 9th 2013 at 11:11 am.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by k800mer
You could buy a dehumidifier for about £140 and take it out with you. My friends use them through the monsoon if their places are closed up for a day or two. I rely on leaving windows (with mossi blinds fitted) open and I use clothes bags that 'breath' to keep my clothes covered but do not rehang them if they have been worn, it is sweat that goes mouldy first in my experience. You can buy dehumidifiers in India but the ones I have seen are downright ugly.
ACs are of course all de-humidifiers by default as it were, I think some of them have a de-humidfy-only setting.

AndyD 8-)
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by a_f_d
ACs are of course all de-humidifiers by default as it were, I think some of them have a de-humidfy-only setting.

AndyD 8-)
My AC may have a de-humidifying setting but as I was not given instructions for it I don't know but I do know my AC cuts off in a power cut and has to be reset. The de-humidifiers my friends have do reset themselves.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by k800mer
..... The de-humidifiers my friends have do reset themselves.
Are these machines with a tube/ vent to the outside?
I ask because there are some completely nonsensical units available in the UK that are free-standing - so that any water vapour they capture can escape back into the room.

AndyD 8-)
Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Are these machines with a tube/ vent to the outside?
I ask because there are some completely nonsensical units available in the UK that are free-standing - so that any water vapour they capture can escape back into the room.

AndyD 8-)
Yes, they do have tubes for outside venting, some don't but just have reservoirs which is ok if you are there to empty them when they fill up. I am looking for one with a vent to the outside. I only have AC in the bedroom so I am getting a de-humidifier for the living room.