Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How was your stay in Goa!

How was your stay in Goa!

Old May 1st 2012, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
My stay was fine but i can see where J5 is coming from and yes it slowly gets under your skin the needle of being constantly ripped off for sums that seems trifling and petty in the West. I have read with amusement the comments on Newtons and their habit of giving sweets or tokens, instead of change.Non of the sums that involved me were over the sum of 5 rupees, so i always gave them back to the girl on check out because if Newtons were ripping me off, think how much they were paying her to do it for them ? For new arrivals in Goa the enthusiasm soon wears off as the heat and constant problems of living in a semi tropical climate with an intermittent electricity supply kicks in and you have face the environment without A/C or the fan.Walking to the market or the shop without the benefit of a pavement.Dogs and prowlers in the night and the constant over crowding of a place that has become popular with domestic tourists but this is India, not Brighton or some retiree dump on the West Coast like Bournemouth for instance.......Indian society isn't structured on the nuclear family principles
its extended and open in some cases.There might only be one person working in a family of eight or nine persons.I lived in the mountains for a period of time in a small village above Manali and it was a 2 hour walk to get the shopping,3 if it had been snowing or raining.Do your home work and read a bit of Indian history.If you think your being victimised because of the colour of your skin and the depth of your pockets, you are probably right,but this also applies to other Indians, especially if your from " Up North or Delhi." Cheating people seems to a national sport in India not out of malicious reasons but out of necessity of making a few extra rupees for the table.
there is a film just out."The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel." See if you can get it at the market.Its not out on DVD yet so the copies will be dark and blurred but its about a bunch of ex-pats in India dealing with the same problems as on this forum.
The 'Marigold' film is a comedy, discussed at length on the 'Newspaper' thread. 5118, 5110.

As others above have said if you don't like Goa/ India go home, as J5 has done. Why go on and on and on about the down-sides.

"Retiree dump like Bournemouth" generalising as usual because it is not to your taste. There are people who like it, happily living there!! I suppose Just like Goa (joke).

The sweets again, it has always been a custom mainly when paise were more in use. Newtons seems to have extended it to rupees (no excuse for that).

Although you are right that the keeping up with the extended family in India is usual and expected; Indian 'society' is not a homogenous mass all doing the same things it is as varied as anywhere.

Last edited by Bipat; May 1st 2012 at 9:37 am.
Old May 1st 2012, 11:22 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bipat
The 'Marigold' film is a comedy, discussed at length on the 'Newspaper' thread. 5118, 5110.

As others above have said if you don't like Goa/ India go home, as J5 has done. Why go on and on and on about the down-sides.

"Retiree dump like Bournemouth" generalising as usual because it is not to your taste. There are people who like it, happily living there!! I suppose Just like Goa (joke).

The sweets again, it has always been a custom mainly when paise were more in use. Newtons seems to have extended it to rupees (no excuse for that).

Although you are right that the keeping up with the extended family in India is usual and expected; Indian 'society' is not a homogenous mass all doing the same things it is as varied as anywhere.
Love the place, just a pity the savages spoil it!!!
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How was your stay in Goa!

How was your stay was the original question and for us who are still here and for the first time this time of year we love it. We normally leave by the end of March but are staying to spend some of the monsoon here. We didnt realise how many things go on, festivals, feasts, music, parties, the list just goes on and we are busier now than normal but without all the traffic and the tourists. Its great!
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

I was in fact being factual, not generalising about peoples pre-conceptions on India and the fact that most of the people i meet do not have a clue about the social conditions that prevail in the country.As for the South Coast i was down there over the weekend and the retiree situation down there is a real problem.No affordable housing for locals because rich people have bought the lot as second homes.( Goa)Good example Exmouth.For a real dump please go to Bognor.Full of Poles pushing prams between charity shops and poundland......
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SteveKingswear
... living somewhere like Goa for extended periods is a bit like being in a very long term relationship, you realise that your partner is far from perfect and that he she has some incredibly annoying habits, quirks and mannerisms; but after all these years it's those habits, quirks and mannerisms that you love and you wouldn't swop that partner for a lottery win!
I really like that analogy - though it would depend on the size of the lottery win - - in the case of Goa, not the partner - I add hastily <g>.

AndyD 8-)₹
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
.....For a real dump please go to Bognor.Full of Poles pushing prams between charity shops and poundland......

Bugger Bognor!

(sorry couldn't resist)

AndyD 8-)₹
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:23 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Quite agree Andy, it was always a bit tacky but OK, especially off-season. Went a couple of years ago and a total dump. PJ's description very accurate........ a bit like a clean Mapusa
Old May 4th 2012, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

WE went last year to watch the Birdman of Bognor Competition.The one where you try and fly off the end of the end of the pier into the sea.It was called because the life boat people said it was too choppy and the wind was blowing in the wrong direction.We legged it straight back to the train.Bugger Bognor for ever...!
Old May 6th 2012, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Originally Posted by johnny five
Quite agree Andy, it was always a bit tacky but OK, especially off-season. Went a couple of years ago and a total dump. PJ's description very accurate........ a bit like a clean Mapusa
Any association of Bognor with Mapusa is unlikely but you never know! I can see it now as we drive past the Law Courts..a large sign with the immortal words...MAPUSA TWINNED WITH BOGNOR REGIS..out of the two give me Mapusa any day!
Old May 6th 2012, 11:34 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Any association of Bognor with Mapusa is unlikely but you never know! I can see it now as we drive past the Law Courts..a large sign with the immortal words...MAPUSA TWINNED WITH BOGNOR REGIS..out of the two give me Mapusa any day!

Dread - x
Old May 6th 2012, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

SteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to behold

Bognor - Mapusa

It would be touch and go as to which was 'home' to the most Indians!
Old May 6th 2012, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveKingswear
Bognor - Mapusa

It would be touch and go as to which was 'home' to the most Indians!
On a quick check; Mapusa population 40,000; Bognor 23,000 so unless the entire town is 'Indian'; Mapusa wins!!!

Sorry to hear of the state of Bognor now, as a teenager living in Portsmouth
I used to go there on the bus and also worked in the 'Butlins' as a summer holiday job in the coffee bar.
But the staff accommodation was awful, shared 'huts', showers with no locks
food terrible and the coffee flasks we filled for the customers night drinks --!
While I was there the manager went off on his bike with the safe contents.
All good experience for future Indian travel!!
Old May 6th 2012, 9:28 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

On a quick check; Mapusa population 40,000; Bognor 23,000 so unless the entire town is 'Indian'; Mapusa wins!!!

Sorry to hear of the state of Bognor now, as a teenager living in Portsmouth
I used to go there on the bus and also worked in the 'Butlins' as a summer holiday job in the coffee bar.
But the staff accommodation was awful, shared 'huts', showers with no locks
food terrible and the coffee flasks we filled for the customers night drinks --!
While I was there the manager went off on his bike with the safe contents.
All good experience for future Indian travel!!

OMG Bipat - ARE YOU A POMPEY LIL ??????????????

Dread - x
Old May 6th 2012, 9:33 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I found most of the new occupants of Bognor to be Eastern European, so maybe it should be twinned with Morjimski?

Old May 6th 2012, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
OMG Bipat - ARE YOU A POMPEY LIL ??????????????

Dread - x
No not really; more a 'Norfolk Dumpling', just lived in Portsmouth for 6 teenage years, I must say it was a good place to be at that time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.