Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How was your stay in Goa!

How was your stay in Goa!

Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:30 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice
Default Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Originally Posted by Bipat
J5, contributors to this Forum have many different circumstances, at least there has been some actual discussion on this thread about different prices for different types of accommodation.
Also circumstances are different in different years.
Yes at this moment in time our only permanent owned property is in the Indian City of karwar.
Only 35 mins drive from the good Southern Goa beaches, daily shopping in Margao possible. (There's an idea for others to move to!!!!!)

We sold our time-share and didn't rent, so this year only, on a very short stay in the area we stayed in hotels further North why not share the info?

(Avoided Benaulim; thought our ages and circs. might offend the chap that can be seen there waving a 5 year visa at passers by)

For those that want to leave, fine, why not do so. For genuine expats, and for those for whom the area is home, value for money doesn't always come into it, they will always be there.

PS our house is scruffy and ill equipped.
Thank god you avoided Benaulim, we have enough Savages, leaving filth everywhere, i only show my 5 year visa to non believers, then its only for a bet.

Last edited by stevebenaulim; Apr 26th 2012 at 10:21 am. Reason: Mistake
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:31 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bipat
J5, I have never claimed to be an expat. But we have had a home just across the border for 40 years. We have spent varying amounts of full-time in Goa itself during this time. The time-share was just one of our means of staying (for a mere 8 of those years).

As I pointed out going to Goa was something we also did for the day or evening not a big deal. We have relatives and friends who live there. OH was travelling to there during Portuguese time.

Expats do not have an exclusive problem with crime, corruption, property buying and selling, etc. We ourselves have an ongoing long term struggle about which I will happily PM you if you have any interest, (and not do to family quarrels before you say it).

Everyone I have questioned on behalf of British Expats has sympathy with your situation.

As I said we will continue to be there whatever the problems because it is part of home for the rest of our mobile lives. Please don't look down on those who enjoy their time in Goa however short or long their stay.
Been to Karwar, no thanks its full of Savages...
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hemingway
you've got to be kidding right? There's someone in Benaulim with a 5 year visa - well knock me down with a feather, I'd never have guessed. . . . . . . . . . .

H.
I must take care, as i seem to be the only non Savage to get the 5 year x visa, maybe they thought i had been in India so long, i started to turn into a Savage??, god forbid if i start dumping rubbish everywhere, clearing my throat a spitting in public, picking my nose in restaurants or anywhere i feel like.
What is your good name??.
You want Taxi??.
What is your good country??.
You look my shop??.
Time to go back to a tourist visa me thinks.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:48 am
Banned

[QUOTE=stevebenaulim;10026465]I must take care, as i seem to be the only non Savage to get the 5 year x visa, maybe they thought i had been in India so long, i started to turn into a Savage??, god forbid if i start dumping rubbish everywhere, clearing my throat a spitting in public, picking my nose in restaurants or anywhere i feel like.
What is your good name??.
You want Taxi??.
What is your good country??.
You look my shop??.
Time to go back to a tourist visa me thinks.[/QUO
Permanently scratching my testis.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Does anyone on here really actually live in Goa if not of Indian origin? Maybe it is what you see as your home- but you still have to get out and stay out for 2 months at a time - ....

Dread - x
Not strictly true, X visas are (at the moment) available again for people who have bought/ leased property. A lot of us don't choose to stay for 12 months, but several do (and more did before the problems).

AndyD 8-)₹
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:02 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Not strictly true, X visas are (at the moment) available again for people who have bought/ leased property. A lot of us don't choose to stay for 12 months, but several do (and more did before the problems).

AndyD 8-)₹
Good point - but for the last 5 years they have been unavailable - and I made this comment to illustrate my point that there is really no need for one upmanship about how long someone stays when for the most part in recent years the difference is only a month or two between those who say they live there and those who are long stayers.

Dread - x
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to hear there are still some decent but reasonably priced places available. As someone who will be looking to rent for several months, I was rather concerned by some of the sums quoted in the previous posts.
Thank you for putting my mind at rest

Dread - x
With your credentials Dread you should be offering house sitting services to those who have to leave for 2 months!! Especially those with dogs that need looking after!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:11 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msj5
With your credentials Dread you should be offering house sitting services to those who have to leave for 2 months!! Especially those with dogs that need looking after!
Now there's an idea
Thanks

Dread - x
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=dreadsoc;10026959]Good point - but for the last 5 years they have been unavailable - and I made this comment to illustrate my point that there is really no need for one upmanship about how long someone stays when for the most part in recent years the difference is only a month or two between those who say they live there and those who are long stayers.

Dread - x[/QUOTE

Some of us who live here have 1 home.We made a commitment .

Long termers tend to have 2 or at least have a residence in the UK and rent here. Thats the difference.

I guess the majority of people who "live" here (as I do) made the decision to retire here before the "two month rule " was ever introduced !
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Bo.Al is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thread! Lots of candid responses. Much to learn for all the posts. Thanks much to all!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Chameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really nice

[/QUOTE Some of us who live here have 1 home.We made a commitment .
Long termers tend to have 2 or at least have a residence in the UK and rent here. Thats the difference.
I guess the majority of people who "live" here (as I do) made the decision to retire here before the "two month rule " was ever introduced!/QUOTE]

Like the British breakfast, eggs and bacon. The hen's involved but the pig's committed.

Guess we're pigs, Jill!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Chameleons
[/QUOTE Some of us who live here have 1 home.We made a commitment .
I guess the majority of people who "live" here (as I do) made the decision to retire here before the "two month rule " was ever introduced!/QUOTE]

Like the British breakfast, eggs and bacon. The hen's involved but the pig's committed.

Guess we're pigs, Jill!
Which is more important to the meal - egg or bacon? It needs both to make the complete meal !
If you are comparing living in Goa as the pig that becomes bacon, are you saying that living in Goa is like dying?
Jill I would never consider you as a pig -

Dread - x
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Chameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really nice

Which is more important to the meal - egg or bacon? It needs both to make the complete meal !
If you are comparing living in Goa as the pig that becomes bacon, are you saying that living in Goa is like dying?
Jill I would never consider you as a pig -

Dread - x
Not at all, Dread. I am merely saying that, as we have completely moved here, lock, stock and barrel, we are committed to Goa. That is hardly saying that 'living in Goa is like dying' is it? It was a comparison between being 'involved' and being 'committed'.

Chameleons.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

SteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to behold

This is starting to remind me of that John Cleese sketch from the sixties - The 3 guys standing next to one another depicting Upper Class, Middle Class and Lower Class! As someone with grand children and business commitments I choose to spend between 4 and 8 weeks a year in Goa; weeks that I thoroughly enjoy, however as a glorified holidaymaker are my opinions on this forum any less valid? And just how has a thread asking as to whether you enjoyed your season degenerated into one of one one-upmanship as to how long you actually spend in Goa. To draw an analogy its a bit like when I go and watch West Ham,as a season ticket holder of some decades the post match discussion in the bar often involves how long we've supported the club and been a season ticket holder. The decades are a badge of commitment with the number of games seen each season a measure of our commitment to suffering for the cause!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

SteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to behold

P.S. The eggs and bacon, pigs and chicken analogy made me laugh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.